[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Byzantines stop making sculptures of their emperors and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Kardiotissa_15e.jpg (198KB, 845x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Kardiotissa_15e.jpg
198KB, 845x1056px
Why did Byzantines stop making sculptures of their emperors and stuff at some point? Their mosaics/frescoes also seem to have gotten progressively worse post-Justinian as well. Did Christcuckery kill off their artistic talent?
>>
>>2492860
They moved to iconic art to separate themselves from Catholicism
>>
>Why did Byzantines stop making sculptures of their emperors and stuff at some point?
I'm curious why you think this is the case. Have you ever read any books about Byzantine art history? They definitely never stopped making sculptures. No idea where you're getting that from.
>>
>>2492912
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_emperors#Eastern_emperors

Only coins and pictorial representations past this point.
>>
File: justinian-as-world-conqueror.jpg (196KB, 732x960px) Image search: [Google]
justinian-as-world-conqueror.jpg
196KB, 732x960px
I actually went through my art history book to prove you wrong, but I couldn't find anything. They did some good ivory carvings though.
>>
Idiotic question, Byzantines never stopped making sculptures except for a brief lull during the Iconoclasm period.

The reason they stopped using them to depict Emperors was just because it went out of fashion.

>Their mosaics/frescoes also seem to have gotten progressively worse post-Justinian as well. Did Christcuckery kill off their artistic talent?
Fucking moron. What a stupid thing to say.
>>
Lorenzo Medici had some sort of obsession with Byzantine art and actually commissioned 'imitations', so I guess it lived on for a while. This guy, as well as the others in his milieu, aggressively collected old stuff for humanistic reasons and making replicas was a booming business. many artists sold their copies as real ancient works because there were barely any ways of recognising it's authenticity.
>>
File: throw it in le garbage.jpg (707KB, 1005x1500px) Image search: [Google]
throw it in le garbage.jpg
707KB, 1005x1500px
>>2493045
>Fucking moron. What a stupid thing to say.

Are you going to tell me this looks good?
>>
>>2492860
Maybe the equivalent of republicans in that period complained too much about money being wasted on the arts which contributed to it's decline.
>We need to make more bibles otherwise the caliphates might win.
>>
Christian dogmas. I don't think the emperors past Theodosius the Great were praised in the manner Diocletian was. After all, the emperor was no longer a living god on Earth, but a person chosen by God to rule. The world of Late Antiquity is closer to the Medieval age than to the Classical age.

>it went out of fashion
That's not really doing anything to answer OP's question.
>>
>>2493106
Sometimes things just go in and out of fashion for reasons we won't ever be aware of.
>>
>>2493072
This HAS to be an artistic style. How could they have regressed this much?
>>
>>2493106
You can find plenty of Byzantine carvings, engravings and sculptures of people who weren't Emperors, and you can find huge resplendent icons and images of Emperors, not to mention hagiographiea, so saying they stopped making statues of Emperors because they didn't glorify them doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>2493130

Yes, it's like this on purpose (really).
>>
>>2493130
>>2493072
It's not regression, it's a deliberate artistic choice to be more stylised. People understood the techniques and methods behind making reasonably realistic art so they were able to warp and contort them in order to convey a more symbolic truth.

Calling it "regression" is profoundly idiotic.
>>
>>2493130
>How could they have regressed this much?
Ugh, right? How did we go from artistic masterworks like pic related..
>>
File: 15giotto.jpg (195KB, 1055x989px) Image search: [Google]
15giotto.jpg
195KB, 1055x989px
>>2493155
To unrealistic garbage like THIS???
>>
>>2493132
Did I say the emperors suddenly became literal nobodies? Or did I say >the emperor was no longer a living god on Earth
And what has hagiography to do with the figure of the emperor?

>the art has regressed
You are judging Medieval art through the ideals of the Classical age (read ours), which is terribly wrong. It has not regressed, it has changed its meaning and place in the culture of the people. An icon is not meant to be put between each two columns of the Coliseum. It's meant to be a static representation of somebody who's won a place in Heaven.
>>
>>2493165
Just to add, the birth of icons is closely related to educating illiterate people in Christian morals, ideals, cosmology.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.