[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else fascinated by the history of Mormonism? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

Anyone else fascinated by the history of Mormonism? It's like a joke that got out of hand. There's all the trappings of most religions: drawing on an older tradition, a prophet, their own scripture, a heroic story about the founding of the church, complete with persecution and an exodus.

Yet it was created by a convicted con man and adulterer who kept changing his story, his theology, got shot while trying to climb out of a jail cell window, and has been proven wrong hundreds of times right from the time he started preaching.

It's like in took off in spite of how retarded it was. It really makes me think that most people love the trappings of a religion over its actual beliefs.
>>
>>2492263
I personally think a lot of religions probably started like that, its just its recent enough and records then were good enough that we know how much bullshit was involved
>>
>>2492263
Mormonism just came unto the age where they couldn't erase the records like other previously established religions.
>>
>>2492263
>religion
>rationality
>>
File: IMG_0723.jpg (32KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0723.jpg
32KB, 248x189px
People are retarded as fuck

They will believe in any bullshit you tell them

I'm thinking about starting my own cult to profit off these gullible fuckers

Grown ass niggas believe in magic n' shit
>>
>>2492555
I read the journal of a 19th century British military officer describing in detail how the priests of the Gold Coast tribes tricked the people into giving them money and power

Shit is hilarious
>>
>>2492555
I think so too. Jesus probably was a charismatic preacher of some kind, then his life got mythologised into him being the best guy ever and then literally God, and here we are.

>>2492574
That's not the only factor. There's plenty of modern religious movements without obvious falsification like Mormonism. You can't really fact-check spiritual stuff because it's subjective, but Joseph Smith made many claims about events in his own life and about history that could be easily dismissed even in his own lifetime. I'm thinking more about the size of Mormonism (several million!) compared to how little it has to stand on. It's basically a shitty copy of Christianity without the history.

>>2492620
I met a few Mormon missionaries recently and thought this myself. Their beliefs were so retarded I found myself trying to fill in the gaps for them when they couldn't explain something. Like, they think God is a spirit being who lives in heaven but also he's got a physical body somehow.
>>
Yup, almost identical to the cult of Muhammad, with zero contribution to the world, unlike Judaism and Christianity.
>>
People are retarded and fall for the weirdest tricks, that shouldn't surprise you.
>>
File: IMG_0774.gif (123KB, 428x440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0774.gif
123KB, 428x440px
>>2492633
In NIgeria there was a cult of Smallpox worshippers

The high priests of the Smallpox God had a very informed idea of how it spread so they'd terrorize villages with threats of plague in exchange for things. A native doctor uncovered the conspiracy and had them arrested.

The god is still worshiped today in remote parts of southern Nigeria, Togo, & Benin as the deity of pestilence and insanity.
>>
>>2492703
Ha, people will worship literally anything.

Suddenly Mormons appear kind of reasonable.
>>
>>2493011
Recently in Zambia there was a creepy looking cloud flying around and some people dropped down and started to worship it
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.