[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>emperor qin calls for making of terracotta army >suddenly,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: the-terra-cotta-army-hero-fix-E.jpg (216KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
the-terra-cotta-army-hero-fix-E.jpg
216KB, 686x385px
>emperor qin calls for making of terracotta army
>suddenly, out of thin air, a chinese artist creates a gigantic figurative army with a level of realism not seen in china in any century before or for many centuries afterwards.
>the construction and placement of the emperor's tomb is also unprecedented. but if you study it you realize a lot of the elements present are also found in the mausoleum of mausolos constructed in Asia Minor a century earlier.
so can we all agree that the Qin Emperor used greeks to build his terracotta army? It makes even more sense once you realize that bactrian-greeks were basically responsible for creating modern representations of buddha with their sculptural technique.
>>
>>2483136
SHIEEEEEEEEEEEET. So u finna be sayin we wuz greeks all along?
>>
>a chinese artist
It was many many artists, entire workshops.
>>
>>2483136
>out of thin air
Work on the tomb actually began while he was still conquering the last of the Chink kingdoms and lasted way into the middle of his reign as Chink Emperor.30-20 years basically. They had a long time doing it.
>>
>>2483151
yes also
>terracotta warriors were once painted
>greek sculptures were once painted too
>>
>>2483163
i didn't mean the project itself. I meant the realistic art style appeared out of nowhere. I guess that can be mastered in 30 years but it's odd that the emperor didn't simply stick to traditional iconographic models.
>>
>>2483179
>I meant the realistic art style appeared out of nowhere
Literally every single thing you would call an 'art style' appears out of thin air.

>Qin emperor cruises around his nation and finally finds a craftsmen capable of this level of realism
There was no internet back then, you know? Highly skilled individuals would quite often go unacknowledged.
>>
File: charioteer.jpg (56KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
charioteer.jpg
56KB, 500x625px
>>2483179
>I meant the realistic art style appeared out of nowhere.
Elongated sleeves and fucked up proportions are realistic now?

Idk about you but from their poses, the Terra Cotta statues seem to be just a step up from general sculpture trends in the Warring States period (pic related, a centuries earlier statue). Of course when you're bathing in state funds and a megalomaniac king is breathing down your neck, the quality is better.
>>
>>2483189
but if you study art history you'd know that artistic styles develop over decades or centuries, especially in antiquity. the greeks took several centuries before they reached they reached the pinnacle of their naturalistic style. in relatively conservative societies as existed back then, too, its not common to have such a drastic break from artistic tradition.

if you can read chinese maybe we can settle this...
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237310414_Origins_of_the_Workers_Who_Built_the_First_Qin_Emperor's_Mausoleum_Revealed_by_Mitochondrial_DNA
>>
>>2483203
I'm not making this up. the scholarly consensus is that the terracotta army was a great advance in realism. read capon or kesner
>>
>>2483179
>>2483136
>Qin Emperor: hey you cuck artists, I want statues in human size, and look as real as possible (cough cough black magic), not your usual meme ugly one.
>Of course my lord, please don't behead me
see pretty easy
>>
>>2483239
>http://www.academia.edu/9952205/Origins_of_the_Workers_Who_Built_the_First_Qin_Emperors_Mausoleum_Revealed_by_Mitochondrial_DNA
>https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2557057/
They were a mix of northern and southern East Asian lineages not West Eurasians.

If we extrapolate the results than a significant portion of the artisans was derived from the Chu heartland.
>>
>>2483239
>but if you study art history you'd know that artistic styles develop over decades or centuries, especially in antiquity
Because that art is highly known and parroted among the community. These assumptions could also be entirely wrong, it's essentially speculation.

You should probably look at that DPF, even if you cannot read Chinese. Are you basing your whole argument off of the word "diverse".

>the greeks took several centuries before they reached they reached the pinnacle of their naturalistic style
Literally, all this means is you do not have all the other examples of Chinese architecture which leads to this style.

It's still "coming out of nowhere". For instance, you can see the chain of events in retrospect, the greek creating his scuptlers isn't trying to make a realistic scultupre that we know today, he's making his own art form.

Your argument cannot be
>there is no earlier evidence of realism sculptures
>therefore it was the greeks

You simply cannot know how much information we have lost.
>>
>>2483378
yes, i agree with everything you say, but my argument is based on what other scholars have said, as i pointed out in >>2483251. the similarities between the mausolos and qin's tomb has also been studies.
>>
>>2483854
And I am aware of those studies. But just because there are studies doesn't mean there is any sort of relatable truth. For instance, this is quite controversial, if it had any weight at this stage it would be more known than it is today.
>>
The Japanese knew how to make fine sculptures too.
>>
>>2483281
You'd think realism would be easy in general from that kind of thinking, but it's rare in art. More common in sculpture, but still not as omnipresent as would likely be the case if all it took was some lord somewhere suggesting "how about it actually looks like things this time?".

Not saying OP is right, just saying it's not that simple in practice.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.