[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've been thinking lately, isn't it sad we were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1485188668193.jpg (462KB, 444x748px) Image search: [Google]
1485188668193.jpg
462KB, 444x748px
So, I've been thinking lately, isn't it sad we were born in this day and age? Not a "muh generation" shit, but much rather a "muh history" one. Just imagine, not from a scientific point of view, but from a historical one, how cool it would have been had we been born when mankind was already having 300 million years of history behind it.

How enrichening that could have been. Instead we're forced to look at fossils of a species that in the span of 300 million years achieved nothing and at a history that's merely, by a stretch, 100.000 years old.

I know it's all about "Carpe Diem" and stuff, but, given that our species holds for that long, wouldn't it have been a much more enjoying task to study history then rather than it is now?

>pic unrelated, first pic I've found in my gallery
>>
If I read that mess of a question correctly, you want to know if history will be more interesting and enriching to study looking back from 300million years in the future.

Do you not find our last 100k years interesting and enriching? Why do you think the next 300 million years will be any different or more interesting. Unless we somehow manage to achieve economic and political utopia, the next million years will probably be just like the last, disease, famine, massive bloody conflict over resources, conquest of new worlds and mass slaughter of whoever we find there. We will simply spread our violent ape culture across the galaxy with wanton death and destruction just as we always have.

After that point the human species will localize and adapt and evolution will take human populations in different directions on different planets so that there will likely not be a single recognizable species but many thousands of human species evolving separately. From there whole new histories will begin and few people will study or care about the primitive earth dwellers. We will probably be some kind of myth to them. Widely mocked as a hoax, The last possible remnants of our existence, our history, will be the pile of rocks that once resembled great pyramids, but the hieroglyphs will give them as much trouble and the sand and mud will cover them up in time until they too are completely forgotten.

No I don't think that human history will be more interesting in 300 million years. There wont be any humans, or human history preserved except perhaps in vestigial ether of names and ideas that will be completely untraceable, like so many place and thing names that we have now and don't know exactly why they are called that.
>>
>>2480397
I know. Even being born in 2592 would be cooler.

Or would it, could just be a wasteland.
>>
>>2480494
Well, honestly, I knew I made a mess just throwing around verb tenses like that, I tend to pride myself with my English but that was indeed a poorly worded question so I'm sorry.

Now to the actual idea, I think that, however grim, your point is accurate. Still, the way you described our culture and civilization as spurned and snubbed in the future makes me think of how most of us think of the Ancients right now. It's unfortunate. And even if the last 100.000 years were actually enriching(as I've said, the dinosaurs lived for far more than that and still accomplished nothing), I think history is like a huge conveyor belt of suffering for someone wanting to understand the perspective of different people across different times, given that it never ends.

Now that I think of it...hypothetically speaking, if one were to see all of history from the end of time, what would it look like? Not only speaking of humans necessarily now and definitely don't want this to sound like a Doctor Who season question.
>>
smoke less weed
>>
>>2480578
Why though? Rainbowy unicorns climbing up the walls and teaching you how to disappear completely are such an idioteque. Tinker tailor soldier sailor poor man rich man begger man thief anyone can play guitar there there in our house of cards.
>>
>>2480515
Why 2592 exactly? If this is some reference I don't get...well...sorry.
>>
>>2480577
I guess I did sound a bit pessimistic in my future of humanity. I am actually quite proud of human achievement to this point. Is it marred by bloody chaos and irredeemable villainy? Certainly, yes. But we have come a long way and survived despite fairly bad odds.

What will humanity do when we leave earth, if we survive that long? Will we find mainly more advanced or less advanced civilizations? There is still the very slim chance that we are the only civilization and there is nobody left out there to conquer. Will we weep like Alexander at the end of the world? Will we colonize every last rock with water on it and evolve into super human gods of the universe? Will we get to the next star and piss off some insectoid civilization a million years more advanced and they exterminate us from the universe? Will we self destruct before we even achieve the ability to leave the solar system? Who knows these things? Nobody alive today will live long enough to get even one answer to these questions. Or even the most basic, are we alone.

What does all of time look like? From a cosmic perspective? If you could view the whole thing as some sort of transcendent being apart from space and time, a god of some sort, it would probably be very boring and you would want to speed it up. Does it begin and end and begin again? Would there be infinite universes to observe? Are we just living in the imagination of such a being? A though experiment of Zeus or whoever you want to pray to? Are we destined to become god and stop heat entropy in the universe? Are we just pathetic apes dancing about in total ignorance or reality? What happens to humanity? Were we better off painting caves and worshiping fire? God doesn't play dice with the universe said Einstein, but I know we will. Whatever happens, we will have little input or control of the future, just as the past.

Dont worry about it man. Pet a puppy, eat a warm chocolate chip cookie, make love to a beautiful person.
>>
>>2480696
I have this weird feeling you enjoyed writing this. Glimmers of hope everywhere.

To be honest, this completely shatters whatever existentialistic approach I could have taken. I feel enlightened now kind anon, so much appreciation!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.