[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was reading Herodotus' Histories and he mentions that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1470458752833.jpg (3MB, 2790x1835px) Image search: [Google]
1470458752833.jpg
3MB, 2790x1835px
I was reading Herodotus' Histories and he mentions that the Egyptians customarily practiced circumcision for cleanliness. So did the Hebrews pick up that custom from the Egyptians then? I've been under the impression that the hebrews 'invented' circumcision but it would seem to make more sense if they picked it up from the dominate cultural hegemon rather than vice versa
>>
Freud has a rather interesting book on that subject called "Moses and Monotheism" where he argues that not only the circumcision is originally egyptian but so is monotheism with the the whole Akenaton reform shenaningans.
>>
File: found him.jpg (3MB, 2790x1835px) Image search: [Google]
found him.jpg
3MB, 2790x1835px
>>2472590
wasn't that hard to find

also circumcision is a global anthropological phenomenon occurring occasionally among small tribal groups to large societies. particularly in africa it pops up here and there, all over Bantu culture. it's probably been going on here or there since prehistory. between phimosis and infection, it's not unsurprising that it pops up more often compared to some other mutilative habits.
>>
Why not read the Bible and learn the origin of circumcision offered there before resorting to half-baked speculations based on loose cognates in other cultures?
>>
It's hard to think of anything Jews didn't steal from someone else.
>>
>>2473131
>reading the bible to learn about a practice ostensibly started by jews
>>
Ancients did a lot of fucked up things.
>>
>>2473131
We're talking about practical reasons here, not mythological explanations.
>>
>>2473131
now THIS is quality bait
>>
>>2472590
>I've been under the impression that the hebrews 'invented' circumcision but it would seem to make more sense if they picked it up from the dominate cultural hegemon rather than vice versa

Circumcision was common among the ancient near eastern people. The practice of circumcision in Ancient Israelite culture probably closely related to the Hittite style of circumcision, this was meant to be a signature who's covenant you belonged to.
>>
Yes, circumcision is a Middle Eastern thing, of course Hebrews didn't invent it.
>>
>>2473167
>>2473178
>>2473249
why are there so many atheists on /his/?
are we being invaded by reddit?
>>
>>2474396
>not being a Jew makes you an atheist

Shlomo please
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.