[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people so proud of their country or heritage? shouldn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1457935014274.gif (38KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1457935014274.gif
38KB, 267x200px
Why are people so proud of their country or heritage?

shouldn't you be proud of things that you yourself have accomplished?

Isn't it retarded to be proud of stuff you didn't earn or work for?
>>
>>2462649
There are different kinds of proud. Being proud of yourself, and being proud in others. When people say they're proud of their country, they mean that they're proud of all the people who worked to make that country great, and hope to continue contributing in the greatness of their country.
>>
>>2462658
So are you saying that people are proud to be a part of a group? And so they are proud to be a part of a country that they see as great?

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Most people are in the country that they're in because they just happened to be born there. Even if you see that place as great, it all just goes back to it being retarded to be proud of something you didn't work for.

You don't have to work to be born in the place that you're born in. it just happens.
>>
I think that people give different meanings to what pride actually gives motion, just as any abstract word such as love, honor and good and evil. It's a social regulator for a pattern for a social being to adapt itself.

If you dont have national pride, you might be ill seen by those who take part in using that word for a behaviour that is palatable for a good life. Yet some live with the desire to love lack of commitment to the country they live in. But since you were born, you are thrown in a relation of power between everything that lives, so you might be as well join the fold of those who favor you while others do not or might help but you don't know for sure. The concept of national pride helps you go through that.

I think it is a useful artifice, but blinds people with stupid criteria for living which make the world as it is.
>>
The nation is an extended family. I naturally take proud in things that many dad and his dad accomplished. And if I have a son someday I will be proud of him and he of me. This is how every person functions normally. Individualism is autistic.
>>
Nor everyone feels as atomized as you do. Plenty of people still feel part of a greater whole and wish to contribute to it. Of course though, this is LITERALLY fascism.
>>
People who have nothing to be proud of usually pretend to be proud of their ancestors.
>>
Considering this, I think that being social beings such as ourselves, we should give reason to social commitment. That's all there is to it. All these stuff is useful, being civilized, doing good stuff, caring for others, national pride... It all goes down to coexist with other beings, if you throw that to the gutter, society will continue as it is. I'm not into giving excessive value to what abstract words mean but I do enjoy their results when they are useful. Is national pride useful, or not?
>>
>>2462649
A father is proud of his children, and his grandchildren and by extension his family and their community. They take pride in it as their home and their shared possession, in it resides their values and culture.
National pride is the highest form of familial pride, but only if it is through blood and sacrifice.
>>
>>2462736

Or perhaps people that have nothing to be proud of can't understand pride, so they try to assign a pathology to people who feel pride.
>>
File: 12dhillon.jpg (17KB, 370x396px) Image search: [Google]
12dhillon.jpg
17KB, 370x396px
As someone who's lived abroad extensively, I can attest to the fact that no air smells sweeter than that of your homeland.
In no other country can you feel the same swellings of pride in your breast while viewing the national monuments.
To die in another country means being tossed in a hole in the ground, to die in your patria means you've planted a seed for the next generation.

And I consider myself a civic nationalist. So by virtue of being a citizen, understanding the civic virtues of my country, exalting or criticizing them when necessary, working, and following the laws of my society, voting, and so on I am infact engaged with my nation and have every right to be proud of it.

I agree that ethnic nationalists are mouthbreathers, but so are the liberals who try to push the complete atomization of society as some sort of admirable end goal.

And this is coming from someone who's something of a Jew in his own country, who's regularly told he has a funny name and that he's not from around here, and someone who's children wouldn't even be consider citizens if they weren't born on his countries soil, so I resent the knee jerk reaction of "white privilege" many apparently educated liberals have when I voice my opinions. Its still better to be half a foreigner than a complete one.

A thousand years from now, we will be a unique race, civilization, and language. For now, I am proud to know that I'm a pioneer in a young nation, and inspired to meet the socio-historic challenges that entails.
>>
We all contribute to the well-being of our society, dirty libertarian.
>>
>>2462790
>civic nationalism
>having a homeland

literally translates into "not breaking the law", there is no homeland in civic nationalism.
>>
>>2462684
Your logic can be extended to anything because ultimately the universe is deterministic
>>
>>2462809
>>2462809
So the land that paved my roads, erected monuments to its history, fed me from a child, provides me with healthcare and education, with a booming economy, which will inevitably support me when I'm old, to which I pay my taxes, and so on, this isn't my homeland?

Although I guess there's quite a bit of bioregionalism involved in our personal favor of nationalism. I still think ethnic nationalism is provincial and retarded. At least, for the time and place where I live it is.
>>
I'm proud of the ideals, despite how ignored they may have been, my country was founded on. The belief of independance, and despite how crude it is, that every American big and small, skin color difference, has one thought ingrained in there mind that as an American they believe and know to be true.
>Fuck you, don't tell me what to do
I'm proud that I've been taught to love my homeland, and that if need be I would die for my country in the hopes that the future is better and that my 1 life may make the future of my countrymen a little bit better.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.