[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did the olive become so sacred to the Mediterranean? To hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: olives-15016_960_720.jpg (171KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
olives-15016_960_720.jpg
171KB, 960x720px
How did the olive become so sacred to the Mediterranean? To hear them talk it's more important than bread, even to people for whom the word "meal" literally translates to "to eat bread"
>>
it's abundant, cheap and nutritious
>>
because it grows in their shitty dust-ridden hilly rocky climate with ease.
>>
>>2457147
This plus practically. Olive oil is used in countless things, Morso than butter in the North (the closest analogue). People use to wash with olive oil for crying out loud.
>>
>>2457167
they still do in Turkey
>>
>>2457167
Butter weren't a big thing in the Mediterranean?
t.Northerner
>>
>>2457134
Fat has the densest caloric rate of the three macros
>>
>>2457179
The Greeks called Thracians "butter-eaters" with derision
>>
I swear I´ve seen spaniards making fried potatoes and dropping the cooking oil on top
olive oil is lighter and healthier than corn oil though
>>
>>2457179
It still isn't really.
>>
I'm not sure if you're using the word sacred metaphorically but it's not uncommon for commodities that have extreme cultural salience to acquire a sacred character; in the Southeast Solomons some cultures have developed a lot of religious beliefs surrounding bonitos
>>
>>2457134
How did someone discover that sticking an olive in brine makes it edible?
>>
>>2457179
In Rome butter was seen as little more than garbage, certainly not food, mostly used as lube, for example in cart wheels
>>
>>2457244
probably someone hungry and saw these fruits everywhere, hated the taste, decided to put it in something to make it less rotten tasting since salted meat didnt taste rotten
>>
>>2457179
butter doesn't last long in the mediterranean without fridges
>>
I don't like olives
>>
>>2460635
You're a nobody.
>>
>>2457179
Why would you need butter when you have healthy as fuck olive oil?
>>
>>2459098

this is bs unless you can prove otherwise
>>
>>2460645
I don't really care to convince you desu. I know it not to be bs cause I've read it in a book, but I can't remember the name. The first time was a bit of a hyperbole on my part, but they did use it as lube for tools, which tells you about how little they valued the product itself
>>
>>2460653

>I know it not to be bs cause I've read it in a book

You'll find a lot of bs in books, anon. Not to say I don't believe you, but "I know it not to be bs cause I've read it in a book" is shoddy reasoning.
>>
>>2460664
not just "any book" it was a pretty good one lad
>>
This is false. We eat more bread than olive oil. However we use to put olive oil instead butter in sandwiches, fried meals, salads or stews.
>>
>>2460653

no one can deny that /rancid/ butter in the Mediterranean climate would go straight to greasing gears, but to think that romans were raising goats, milking them, then churning butter that went only to lube instead of food is ridiculous, it might have been unfashionable for citizens but certainly still seen as food
>>
>>2460635
fucking barbarian olives are goat
>>
>>2457134
>even to people for whom the word "meal" literally translates to "to eat bread"

top kek im from Macedonia and its fucking strange how westerners find this weird, like, if you don't eat bread how are you full? I can eat literally any combo of vegetables/meat/eggs/dairy e.t.c. but without bread ill be hungry within an hour.
>>
>>2457134

Olive oil made bread taste less like shit and grains so yeah it was important.

Also lude bath times rubbed down in the shit.
>>
>>2460691
>top kek im from Macedonia and its fucking strange how westerners find this weird, like, if you don't eat bread how are you full? I can eat literally any combo of vegetables/meat/eggs/dairy e.t.c. but without bread ill be hungry within an hour.
If you think bread is filling then what about all the other grains (oatmeal, barley, quinoa, rice, bulgar, etc)? Those are even more filling, without being starchy and sharp in the stomach.
>>
>>2460669
Okay, so your argument is somewhere in the library. nice
>>
>>2460998
it's really not a big deal, just a minor curiosity, if it was actually relevant and I cared I'd be looking for it
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.