[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any reasons Christians and Jews don't sacrifice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Aishwarya_Rai.jpg (59KB, 431x604px) Image search: [Google]
Aishwarya_Rai.jpg
59KB, 431x604px
Are there any reasons Christians and Jews don't sacrifice goats to Yahweh any more?

Before you get too butthurt Christians, yes, I am aware of the New Covenant and that you have a theological basis for claiming you don't *have* to any more.

However it is pretty clear Yahweh likes animal sacrifice so why not do it to earn some brownie points?
>>
>>2455611
The jews did that.
>>
>>2455617

Yes. Jesus was a Jew and Christianity is based on Judaism.
>>
They stopped taking their religion seriously. The only Abrahamic religion that is currently taken seriously by its followers is Islam.
>>
File: Islam.jpg (154KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
Islam.jpg
154KB, 752x1063px
>>2455631

This.

Christians and Jews do not worship God, every animal that is killed for food is sacrificed for God in Islam. That is why we say prayers over it to make it Halal.
>>
>>2455611

Historically, after the fall of the Temple by Romans, the Jews in exile understood it as God turning his face away. Until the arrival of Messiah, they are religiously forbidden to do a sacrifice. Just listen to the Orthodox Jews in Iran who view the presence of Israel under Zionism an affront to their belief.

Also, not Goats. Rams or male Sheep kid. They two different species you know.

Earliest of Hebrew Christian used to practice the sacrifice as it was the law of the book. Paul told the Hellenistic Christians that it was okay to not do so [Europeans already ate meats of all kinds; sacrifice ritual is basically that, a ritual; even without it, people ate meat]. Pretty much that is the reason.
>>
>>2455631
>>2455657
Its interesting really. As someone who was raised Muslim and became agnostic over the course of my life. Islam is the only religion left with that old-world fire and honor in it anymore. That of course comes with its pros and cons as you can see through the world stage and events.
>>
>>2455673

Thank you for this intelligent, non-meme answer.

However I would like some more clarification on why after the destruction of the Second Temple that would logically mean that animal sacrifice no longer helps win the favour of Yahweh. I also don't see how the reference to Orthodox Jews in Iran and their position on Zionism is relevant.

I also acknowledged in my first post that Christians don't *have* to sacrifice animals, however I did ask "why not if Yahweh likes it".

Also thank you for the clarification on the type of animal sacrificed, interesting reading.
>>
File: original.jpg (132KB, 750x521px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
132KB, 750x521px
>>2455611
orthodox still do it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kourbania
>>
>>2455719
>why after the destruction of the Second Temple that would logically mean that animal sacrifice no longer helps win the favour of Yahweh
>Christians don't *have* to sacrifice animals, however I did ask "why not if Yahweh likes it".
If. You need a Temple for that, God didn't command its rebuilding, Ezekiel prophesied a Third Temple to be a permanent building for God.

God punishes doing the sacrifices wrong since Cain.

As for Christianity, Hebrews 10.
>>
File: jew.gif (11KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
jew.gif
11KB, 501x585px
>>2455620
>>2455631
>>2455682
>>2455673
>>2455763
>>
>>2455774
No, it's called reading the Bible.
>>
God made the final valid sacrifice.

Kosher meat is essentially slaughtered as if it were sacrificed, but it isn't actually sacrificed. It's not like the tradition is completely absent.
>>2455719
A sacrifice was only valid in the temple, at the end of the 2nd TP, there was no way to make a valid sacrifice.

After this, they replaced sacrifice and Temple-worship with studiousness.

Christian laity are less studious because Christ is the Logos.

Christian clergy are as studious as pious (Orthodox) Jews, because their duty is to aid in guiding the laity.

Note that Jews do the exact same thing with the Talmud, and a Rabbi is bound to be more knowledgeable on the subject than most pious Jewish laity.

In other words, study is heavily encouraged but not mandatory for Christians and Reform (and maybe Conservative? I know little about them) Jews.
>>
>>2455682
Yes. For example, in most majority Muslim nations you would be executed. Here the worst we have, generally speaking, is ostracization from family and friends.
>>
>>2455719
I'm glad I was helpful.

> why after the destruction of the Second Temple
I think I wasn't able to clarify that.
The Jews don't believe that Jesus was the Messiah so all of his acts and rebellion against the Priestly sects was deemed nothing but acts of a non-believer (it is from the non-biblical oral traditions). The probable candidate of the messiah was Simon Bar Kokhba. His rebellion failed miserably and led to the destruction of the Temple. Orthodox Jews saw it as the anger of God because they had tried to "make" their own messiah instead of waiting. It was then the popular belief that God had willed for the Jews to live in the new exile and thus the formation of Israel is deemed "not divine". Thus they don't do sacrifice.

The example of Jews in Iran was to tell you that many Orthodox still believe that they ought to wait for the messiah before real Israel will reign and the temple will be built again. Before the temple, they can't perform the sacrifice which has a centralized tradition to it.

>"why not if Yahweh likes it"
Jesus rebellion against the Temple Priestly sect was mostly to do with the "trade", the "centralized aspect" of "less sacrificial spirit and more business" customs at the Temple and so he saw whole custom as man-made source of business rather than something divine. The Hebrew Christians didn't see any problem in it but for the Hellenistic world, having a religious pilgrim to sacrifice and then eat the meat was neither viable nor enticeable.
People don't seem to understand, Christianity wasn't like it is now. The Hellenistic world was very, how to tell - Pan-like, Bacchanal. The highly ritualistic religion wasn't going to attract them if the religion had more things forbidden than allowed.
Also, by the time of Paul - the Yahwistic doctrines had faded from the common dialogue and made into something forbidden and hidden. Paul was also contemporaneous to the Gnostic worldview and in that Yahweh was "not" God. So why sacrifice?
>>
>>2455611
Jesus is the Last Bloody Sacrifice,
>>
>>2455611
You know she's an Indian and it has nothing to do with Yahweh sacrifices right?
>>
Jews still blood libel
>>
>>2455611
I'd still be down to sacrifice because fresh meat but everyone is all like "muh animal rights"
>>
>>2455611
>tfw when no tanned light-eyed gf
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.