[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any philosophical implications to be learned from modern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: me irl.jpg (53KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
me irl.jpg
53KB, 728x546px
Are there any philosophical implications to be learned from modern physics?
If there are, what are they?
>>
>>2449032
Consciousness creates reality *smokes weed*
>>
File: 1465708190822.jpg (126KB, 1012x786px) Image search: [Google]
1465708190822.jpg
126KB, 1012x786px
>>2449032
>Are there any philosophical implications to be learned from modern physics?
that rationalist fail to prove [since they cling to the word proof] that physicists talk about truth and proof and ''objective reality'', and that somehow all their institutions are not a religion, while claiming they deserve to be paid each month.
>>
>>2449032

Bumble Bees are impossible but their optimism allows them to do the impossible see the invisible (specifically ultra violet colors that flowers use to identify themselves to insects), buzz buzz, pollinate a flower.
>>
>>2449174
>Bumble Bees are impossible
This triggers me as an aerospace major. When will people stop learning science from memes and shitty Buzzfeed stories?
>>
Nothing is seperate from anything else
Everything is made of fundamentally the same thing
Difference comes from arrangement only
Everything is empty
Space and time aren't real
>>
let me tell you something about a little known thing called quantum mechanics...
>>
>>2449032
>Are there any philosophical implications to be learned from modern physics?
Yes, Reductionism works.

Everything else is just ungrateful armchair Sokalism.
Pretentious garble by pretentious nitwits who aren’t even smart enough to recognize the enormous advancements the enjoy every day.

like >>2449154 and >>2449174
>>
>It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either.
>We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality;
>separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of light, but together they do.

Einstein on wave-particle duality.

I think the implication with regards to the conundrum of wave-particle duality goes further than saying something like "to a hammer everything is a nail," or that in other words, our picture of reality depends on the instrumentation and tools we use to construct it.
The real implication is that there is ultimately no way to take our own hand out of the picture and furthermore there is no way of knowing whether pieces are missing from the picture.To pose the question is to constrain the answer received, without knowing what the constraints are.
>>
No. Philosophy is a quaint absurdity from when humans didn't know any better. We have science now.
>>
>>2450979
*tips fedora*
Science is a product of Philosophy kiddo

Why do you think there's a philosophy of science? Ultimately Philosophy is the tool that allows us to know our universe.
>>
>>2449032
Jesus Christ OP of course there are. I'll just list a few but there are many.

General relativity changing the western world by introducing the idea that we all experience things in a relative rather than universal manner, open people's minds up to the possibility of alternate experiences and ways of living. Led directly to the counter-culture movement of the 1960s and more widespread free-thinking.

Copernicus said the sun and not the earth was the center of the universe. Even though that's astronomy it still had a profound effect that the church prosecuted it.

Pick an ancient Greek person, such as Plato or Aristotle who decided how the world worked and was believed for hundreds of years.

LHC and the Higgs Boson or "God Particle", etc.

Nuclear power, not to mention nuclear weapons, permanently changed how the world works. The list goes on.
>>
>>2451101
You could say nuclear weapons led to a kind of existentialism, not just for philosophers but for large swaths of people. When an entire nation thinks it's possible that they might not exist in a moment, that's pretty profound. Honestly it has never gone away.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.