[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any videogames exist that help practice and master the ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 1464394193215.jpg (290KB, 706x476px) Image search: [Google]
1464394193215.jpg
290KB, 706x476px
Do any videogames exist that help practice and master the ideas of critical thinking?

I guess /his/ approved educational vidya general
>>
>>2447891

yeah the game of fucking my ex wife
>>
File: FZT76T6HFPTEJ39.MEDIUM.jpg (72KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
FZT76T6HFPTEJ39.MEDIUM.jpg
72KB, 620x349px
>>2447891
...Like... Nearly all of them?

You're going to have to narrow down "critical thinking" a bit. Nearly all games are basically tests of logic and strategy, these days sometimes involving layer upon layer resource management and systemic planning, as they can get pretty damned complicated - unfortunately, to the point where you more or less have to devote your life to them in order to rise in the ranks of the more competitive strategy games.
>>
>>2447891
Minesweeper
>>
>>2448302
Sorry, I meant "critical thinking" in terms of analyzing arguments.
>>
>>2448683
Ah.

Well that's less common, as puters aren't real good at that without boiling things down to the point where a human would have trouble following the argument quickly. Most games that deal with that at all are down to multiple choice questions with predetermined answers, like maybe "LA Noir", that are really just puzzle games.

There are a few games with hidden subtleties that tug on heart strings to force you to make ethical decisions and sorta 'play the system' to reach those ends, but said decisions often have unintended consequences if not thought through. "Paper's Please" comes to mind in that respect.

There's also less well known, more experimental games like "Gone Home", but most of these games nearly leave the genre of gaming entirely, and leave the bulk of the thinking exercise to the player.

Like movies, there are tons of video games that touch on various philosophical aspects, of course - many games being essentially interactive movies. Even more bring in philosophical concepts as part of the backdrop. A few try to "activate your brain almonds" without presenting a final solution - only shining a light on the conundrum. "Bioshock: Infinite" being infamous for it.

In the end, however, while there's plenty of games that teach logic, I can't think of any that really teach you how to argue analytically. Currently, computers can't really seriously handle the nuances of arguing back. It might be a thing in the near future though. One could design a Watson-style database diver where you could present a position and it could Google up counter arguments (and maybe point basic dialectical flaws), even if the computer itself doesn't really understand the argument. ...and that could be useful, given how many people are trapped in echo chambers these days.

Also, any MMO community is just ripe for social and economic experiments, as we saw with the World of Warcraft Corrupted Blood incident and various economic control efforts.
>>
File: problems.png (49KB, 1298x986px) Image search: [Google]
problems.png
49KB, 1298x986px
most video games improve critical thinking in one way or another, though there's only so much you can gain from static gameplay. people who don't think you learn things about predicting actions of other people and making quick decisions when playing a first person shooter are asinine. the only thing that stands out to me as an actual incredible learning tool though is dwarf fortress. I learned so much about dynamic problem solving, society, efficiency, aesthetic, etc. etc. putting a couple thousand hours into DF.
>>
>>2448915
>One could design a Watson-style database diver where you could present a position and it could Google up counter arguments (and maybe point basic dialectical flaws), even if the computer itself doesn't really understand the argument. ...and that could be useful, given how many people are trapped in echo chambers these days.
Way ahead of you:
http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_group.php?id=5443
>>
>>2449001
Skip to 45:30, if the link doesn't do it for ya:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=6fJOtAzICzw#t=45m30s
...Be awhile before debaters are out of a job, but dyam.
>>
>>2448915
>There are a few games with hidden subtleties that tug on heart strings to force you to make ethical decisions and sorta 'play the system' to reach those ends, but said decisions often have unintended consequences if not thought through.
I fucking hate this garbage to no end, the Telltale "games" are completely packed with this shit.

>Gone Home
SJW garbage and probably the biggest con job I've ever seen in videogaming, and I've been playing games since the late 80s.
>>
>>2449016
Well, I didn't say they were good games.

Although this guy might:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az7ZwW1bff8
>>
>>2449016
>I fucking hate this garbage to no end, the Telltale "games" are completely packed with this shit.
Telltale games are closer to "choose your own adventure" puzzle solvers, but unlike Papers Please, they throw out problems entirely from left field, often in ways you have no way to predict (such as a completely different antagonist may appear simply because you chose not to give a girl ice cream). Not that "Paper's Please" isn't, in the end, a puzzle as well, but it at least leaves you with predictable results, that you can glean through the information provided coupled with current resource management.

Not that it's the most fantastic game either, but at least there's the opportunity for analytical thought, rather than just being at the whims of a storyteller.

I'm sure there's games closer to what OP is really after, but even among such avant-guard stuff by the Chinese Room, I'm just drawing a blank at the moment. Aside from the Watson model and basic multiple-choice question quizzes, I'm not even sure how you'd design such a thing, and I've worked on a few games in my time.
>>
>>2448683
Strategy games like XCOM are really good for that. But if you want something a little more explicit in doing so, Papers, Please is fantastic for that.
And Fallout: New Vegas is all about competing ideologies.
>>
File: talos-principle.jpg (41KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
talos-principle.jpg
41KB, 594x334px
There's lots of games that try to teach philosophical concepts and ideologies through immersive demonstration. Among the lesser known, The Stanley Parable's free-will vs determinism comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBtX0S2J32Y

I can't think of any single one that would teach you dialectic debate or any such, but there's are godes that'll teach you all levels of logic, from simple to complex, even sometimes nuanced, in addition to concepts ranging from simple to complex. But for now, I think you still need another human to really hone your dialectical skills.
>>
>>2449132
XCOM is pretty pleb tier, you should've at least said Steel Panthers.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.