[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cas pian_expeditions_of_the_

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0173.jpg (999KB, 1876x1384px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0173.jpg
999KB, 1876x1384px
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_expeditions_of_the_Rus'
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(860)
Were the people participating in these raids mostly swedish or mostly russian?
>>
Basically all were Slavs;

"Leaving Igor in Kiev, Oleg attacked the Greeks. He took with him a multitude of Varangians, Chuds, Krivichians, Merians, Polianians, Severians, Derevlians, Radimichians, Croats, Dulebians, and Tivercians, who are Tors. All these tribes are known as Great Scythia by the Greeks. With this entire force, Oleg sallied forth by horse and by ship, and the number of his vessels was two thousand." - Rus Primary Chronicle
>>
>>2444365
>mostly russian

Ethnically - let alone nationally - there was no such thing as Russians during this time period. The raiders involved would have been the indecipherable mishmash of Nordic, Turkic, and Balto-Slavic people that composed the pre-Novgorodian khaganates. It's somewhat likely that the people in charge would have been Varangians or at least able to trace their progeniture to the same, however.
>>
>>2444485
Varangians were scandinavians though
>>
>>2444485
>>2444539

It's also a tricky period for the Croats, because they would have still been in a state of transition from primarily Scythic to primarily Slavic.
>>
>>2444539
> Varangians were scandinavians though

Well, not all of them, as basically all Rus with any Scandinavian ancestry would be counted in them, also they would probably be quite outnumbered by the other listed Slavic soldiers.

>>2444577

> It's also a tricky period for the Croats, because they would have still been in a state of transition from primarily Scythic to primarily Slavic.

Yeah, Croats are quite a weird bunch, they are mentioned everywhere from Ukraine to Germany and then southwards to modern day Croatia and even Greece.

A lot of historians believe that they were some kind of Slavic ruling class of horselords that migrated along however they saw fit.

Heck, the first mention of them in the Roman chroniclers describes them as slaughtering the Avars and even subjugating them. DAI states that even in the mid 10th century, there are subjugated Avars living in Croatia under Croat domination.

White Croatia was most probably a real thing and it quite mysterious;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/hr/9/9f/Velika_Bijela_Hrvatska_9_st.jpg

In fact, the same Rus Chronicle even mentions the Rus having to go to war with them at one point in what they call the "Croatian war".

Shame the written sources are so few.
>>
>>2445243
This was an relatively early raid though, Rurik and scandinavians were mostly unassimilated by that point
>>
>>2445335

Even so, the Varangians are mentioned among a dozen other peoples.
>>
>>2445243
>Shame the written sources are so few.

Welp, that's what you get for writing everything down on untreated pieces of bark and not bothering to bind it with any sort of more resilient material.

I was in Velikiy Novgorod a few years back, and this archaeologist was practically tearing up just talking about it.
>>
>>2445358
Fair enough, but i seriously don't believe they were outnumbered 100 to 1, i think it would be logical for them being comparatively large in numbers (although not the majority)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.