[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you in college? If so what's your major? Do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_1271.jpg (94KB, 640x611px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1271.jpg
94KB, 640x611px
Are you in college? If so what's your major? Do you think it's worth it?

Who here self studies philosophy, history, languages, etc?
>>
im a philosophy major
its definitely worth it i spent a decade working skilled labor and going back to school for what i love is the best thing ive ever done
>>
>>2443195
Not in college. It's a bad investment. I'm in a technical school, right now.
>>
I go to Michigan and i'm a history major. I love the classes but I have no fucking idea what i'm going to do with my degree.

I will probably end up trying to work at one of the Smithsonians.
>>
>>2443195
Yes, math, yes, I do.
>>
>>2443195
Economics major here.

Yes, econ majors average six-figure salaries after ten years and I find the subject matter interesting enough to not want to kill myself during a hypothetical job.
>>
File: 1481854915979.png (228KB, 615x727px) Image search: [Google]
1481854915979.png
228KB, 615x727px
I just like history
>>
>>2443195

>University of Washington Seattle
>Public Health/Nutrition major

Worth it.
>>
I am about to go into university. I have two choices: law or psychology. Job market is doing well in both professions. Which do I pick?
>>
>>2443324
law is tough the bar is super unforgiving and the class ranking inlw school lends to people being dicks for a higher rank (stealing laptops etc)
that being said its a good route if you can commit to it
>>
>>2443321
what can you do with that major? honestly curious
>>
>>2443208
Same, I'm soon to start a preapprenticeship course for millwrights, what about you?
>>
>>2443332

For straight Public Health, you could go to work for the CDC, healthcare regulation, hospitals, epidemiology. Nutritionists generally work for hospitals and give advice to people with stuff like cancer and diabetes on what they should be eating. That or the military doing the same stuff, which is what I will do.
>>
>>2443324
Something tells me you're Dutch.
>>
>>2443342
Actually norwegian
>>
>>2443340
interesting, ill admit that when i hear nutritionist i think of asshats on tv. but all disciplines have idiots that give it a bad name i suppose
>>
Bought into the "study what you find interesting, you'll make it work" meme, and got a BA in History. It's fairly useless in helping me find gainful employment, so I am going back for a Masters in September, which will hopefully help. 'Till then I am working temp jobs and barely scraping by. Might need to borrow from my parents at some point.
>>
>>2443345

Those people aren't actual registered dietitians. They give pop science that people want to hear. Carcinia cambogia to lose weight? How about just not fucking eating that pizza.
>>
>>2443324

Law is super competitive, but definitely go for it if you are ready to put in the work.
>>
>>2443351
lol its so true
common sense is uncommon
it must be a interesting/hard thing to keep up with all the new data and science/pseudoscience that comes up with nutrition
>paleodiets
>>
File: IT IS A GOOD PAIN.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IT IS A GOOD PAIN.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
Computer Science

I hate math now and every person who use the "you need it to think more abstract and structure programs" meme.
Sure, I know its truth in it, I just hate it now...and cryptography.
>>
>>2443343
No offense but atleast in the Netherlands every clueless idiot in his last year of highschool decides to either choose psychology or law school. Only to drop out after the first semester.

T. Did that with law school and had to wait before I could re-enroll into something I actually liked.
>>
>>2443359

I don't really recommend "diets", but paleo isn't too horrible especially when compared to the average American diet. Whole grains are good for you. Every person following one "diet" and avoiding "not allowed" food is stupid.
>>
Currently at community college. I've been at community college for like three years now. I absolutely love it. It reminds me of high school but without all the stupid shit like 8:00am - 3:00pm days, gym class, garbage caf food, and retarded children full of "school spirit". Although I could have probably been in a great four year by now, blowing off high school for four years and taking courses at my community college until I had a better GPA and test scores is probably the smartest thing I've ever done.
>>
>>2443365
its just funny people want a sexy answer instead of eat a balanced diet and reasonable portions
at least for average people im sure its different for cancer patients etc
>>
>>2443195
>Who here self studies philosophy, history, languages, etc?
I've self studied all of them, among others, since high school or so, and it turned out I learned more that way than I did in school. I've not gone to college, but given that I know as much, sometimes more, about these subjects than my friends who have there doesn't seem to be much point to it.
>>
Yes, studying history and politics, and planning to do post grad law.
I'm not too interested in money-just want a job that won't make me want to kill myself. And I've got great experience to be competative for Museum Curator jobs.
>>
>>2443367
its super true community college is cheap, has just as skanky chicks, small class sizes can be nice is subjects you dont get naturally, and you can have a super chill schedule
>>
>>2443375

My community college had a ton of highschool students getting a head start. One day I was checking one out and suddenly she said, "my mom packed me carrots for lunch" or some shit.

Dangerous.
>>
>>2443370
the only point is getting the piece of paper that means people will hire/listen to you
true knowledge comes from studying for yourself
but college can be good with exposing you to ideas you wouldnt have been exposed to otherwise
>>
>>2443377
lol yea check i.d.s before entering
>>
>>2443377
yea, community college is a little strange where you can have grown adults with PhDs, people who recently just became grown adults that don't rely on their parents to do stuff for them anymore, and barely legal teens who still rely on their parents to drive them places.
>>
>>2443195
Yes, I'm going for theater and music. Memes have convinced me it's an absolute waste of time and money because it's not STEM, but I'm not smart enough for that. Not that I'm smart enough for other fields anyway, I will never be a Beethoven or a Patrick Stewart. Oh well. It's either keep living or kill myself, and so far I've chosen to keep living every time I wake up. I probably sound like an insufferable faggot, which I probably am.
>>
>>2443391
you are but fuck it you might as well be one instead of a business degree sheeple
>>
I'm studying political science. My parents are paying for it, so yes it's worth it.

Gonna get a master's degree to improve my employment chances, probably gonna look for an internship as well at some point.
>>
Biomedical science, pathology major. Already worked at some labs, doing routine diagnostics. Its bretty neat. Fuck all these exams though.
>>
>>2443195
>Are you in college?
In uni

>If so what's your major?
Aerospace engineering

>Do you think it's worth it?
Yeah, I love the job
>>
>>2443195
>Yes
>computer science
>i wish i did a trade desu but at least i like programming.
>>
I'm about to get a degree in linguistics. On one hand, the sheer breadth of the coursework is a great experience because you peek into so many different disciplines - from courses in historical linguistics and conversational analysis that borrow from sociology, to acoustic analysis in phonetics and coding in computational courses, or philosophy, where we studied Frege and Wittgenstein. And syntax and phonology, the purest linguistics courses, are comprised almost entirely of logical analysis, which was a lot of fun. But I'm starting to wish I had bitten the bullet and studied something more conventional that had more value off of campus, or that I had just majored in foreign languages instead of self-studying all the way through college (hoping to become a translator).
>>
Organizational Psychology. It has the biggest rate of employment and there's good money. Plus, it's full of hacks (I might be, but I'm still a better hack than many).
>>
>>2443195

Yes

Psychology

Yes
>>
I study computer science.
I really envy those people who have rich parents and wont need a job later on and thus can study subjects like philosophy, history, languages
>>
>>2443998

>You can't get a job with languages

If you actually learn a second or third language you're an incredibly valuable asset in the US.
>>
>>2444046
Really?
I speak 3 languages, but this is not something that is unusual in Germany
>>
>>2444061

Hence why I said in the US where most of us are monolingual.
>>
>>2444064
I thought many Americans speak Spanish aswell
>>
>>2444068

Not as many as you'd think, only about 20% of Americans are bilingual at all, most of that being Spanish. Knowing any relevant language other than English will help almost anywhere, and knowing stuff like Russian/Arabic/Farsi etc will be especially helpful in the government/military.
>>
Did a bachelor in history, minored in education and now I am a highschool teacher.

Life is pretty comfy.
>>
>>2444091
My dream.
>>
>>2443361
psychology is beer + juice central in Poland and law is oversaturated af
>>
File: selfmedicate.jpg (69KB, 640x625px) Image search: [Google]
selfmedicate.jpg
69KB, 640x625px
>>2443195
>Are you in college?
Yes.
>If so what's your major?
History.
>Do you think it's worth it?
Hopefully.
>Who here self studies philosophy, history, languages, etc?
I study a lot of history on my own; I've also tried getting into Latin, but I really suck at learning languages.
>>
I'm doing my second semester at community college for gen eds. If I want to do a trade, should I just apply for unions and wait? Is going to school for a trade a meme?
>>
>>2443195
>are you in college
graduated 3 years ago

>what's your major
history

>was it worth it?
I had to get a job in law to afford independence but yeah it was worth it.

tad bit of advise for history majors, paralegal jobs are mostly just researching the history of precedent cases along with writing. If the history of the law is your thing you can definitely cut out a comfy life making $50k with a job that's reasonably easy to get.
>>
File: 1488110335500.png (34KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1488110335500.png
34KB, 633x758px
>>2443195

> Are you in college?
Uni
> If so what's your major?
Bachelors in media science
> Do you think it's worth it?
Hope so. A lot of the areas that influences the course itself is quite flawed. Particulary the sociology aspect. I also have had many professors (women mostly) who seem inept or not qualified to teach away the things they know, but I find self-studying the books easier than being lectured at. If it goes on like this into the next semester, I will reconsider my career options.
> Self study?
Arts, game design and some coding here and there.
>>
Yes

Natural Resource Management

I already have a job in the field as an arborist and a lot of connections I got through volunteering so I'm already sitting pretty.

I study history in my downtime
>>
>>2443365

Is my 80% protein + citruses and dark greens diet gonna kill me? Is there any downsides other than being fucking tired all the time?
>>
>>2444262
If you're trying to pick up a trade look for apprenticeships, 90% of trade working is stuff you learn on the job, not at school
>>
>>2443391

Tbh I know this feel. Though, I never took the degree route. I've been in touring bands and have landed an alright job with a friend who owns a studio. I live in it, though I basically only make $12,000 a year. At least I am doing what makes me not want to kill myself.

>>2444348
This is also true. Spent my high school career as an apprentice machinist.
>>
>>2444283
I'm a current history major and I want to become a paralegal. I worked as a clerk for a law firm the past two summers and it was actually really nice, the office environment is pretty comfy. Did you get a certificate to become a paralegal? I was told you don't need to go to law school and can actually be a hindrance.
>>
>>2444857
I got my certificate yes, it just required an extra 18 credit hours in my state for classes like legal writing and computer applications in law. It was pretty easy in my case thankfully.

And whether the certificate is required or not depends on state to state. California does require it where places like Tennessee or Georgia do not. In state that don't require a certificate, having one makes you more competitive than others when looking for a job, which is how I was able to land a position at a law firm.
>>
>>2444373
I'm happy for you, although I would want to go more into the classical side of music (as a composer though, I could never be a performer in an orchestra)
>>
>>2444346

Shouldn't kill you. Why though?
>>
>>2443195
Art historian here. Planning to double major with archaeology.
>>
Yup, studying translation here. Machines will never ever replace humans so yeah it's worth it. I'd also like to self study linguistics and foreign languages but so far I've been too lazy to do it.
>>
>>2445443

For double the unemployment?
>>
>>2445469

If there ever was a low hanging fruit for AI development to snatch it would be translation, anon
>>
Tried geology, couldn't hack it, will probably go into a business-related major instead so I can start my own business. I do have interests in theology and philosophy, but I'm not paying the bills with those.
>>
>>2445478
I'm in central Europe and archaeology is surprisingly full of jobs, if you're willing to actually dig the field. I'd do psychology instead, but the entrance exams are notoriously hard.
Besides, I have a farm to tend to and can drive a tractor, so that's the worst I'll end up doing.
>>
>>2443195
I'm currently doing a conjoint degree in Law and Computer Science, but I study a bit of history in my spare time. I highly recommend law, but then I am biased because I want to practice one day.
>>
>>2445416

I don't do much moving so I wagered I needed less carbs that weren't doing something for me other than being carbs. Also, I want to prevent myself from getting diabetes since everyone else in my family has it. I'm not overweight tho.
>>
>>2445482

Not true. For proof of this buy the same copy of a book in two languages that you understand.
>>
Yes
Chemistry
Yes

I'm also thinking of double majoring in History though, if the job prospects weren't so shit I'd probably take that as my primary major.
>>
>>2445552

I'm just saying, languages have structure and syntax that make them easier to work with for programmers than a lot of other human endeavors

Not "easy" by any means, as the whole idea of replicating human cognition and ability through programmatic means is a mammoth task, just one of the first things that will be fully automated to a sophisticated degree in our lifetime
>>
>>2445544

how many calories a day do you take in?
>>
>>2445599

Source: your butt. Like I said, pick up two copies of the same book and ask yourself how a machine could translate from one language to the other without actually understanding the material (at which point it is an AI, and not a machine translator). There is a lot more to language than its syntax, which, by the way, is different for every language, constantly in a state of flux, and not even close to fully understood.
>>
File: 1343779452983.jpg (166KB, 577x580px) Image search: [Google]
1343779452983.jpg
166KB, 577x580px
>>2445651

Source: I'm a programmer and I've worked on related projects.

You can be delusional all you want, I'm only offering fair warning.

It's more of a 10-20 year thing at any rate.
>>
>>2445684

Alright man, remember this post in 20 years.
>>
>>2445651
NTG, but if you have linguists who understand the languages providing info to code up a Watson style linguistic database diver, you could rig up a system that would translate competently, and a hell of a lot better than say Google Translate does, without actually understanding the work, only the classification of words and structures.

It'd be a lot of work, and the results would be far from artful, but not even outside of today's technological possibilities, let alone the distant future's.

I mean, hell, cell phone aps are already writing screenplays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7x2Ihqjmc
(Okay, maybe not real well...)
>>
What would be a better idea: getting a masters in history, or do a double major with history and politics?
also don't have any plans after college, would going into law be a good idea?
>>
>>2443403
A master's in polici? I'm considering that as well but I'm afraid I'll end up as an academic which is pretty much the last thing I want, outside of not having a job at all.
>>
>>2446701
Oh no I'm not sure what kind of master I want to do, maybe PolSci maybe something else. Whatever is the most interesting and practical.
>>
File: 1485829529752.jpg (54KB, 480x481px) Image search: [Google]
1485829529752.jpg
54KB, 480x481px
I go to a school in Massachusetts as a history and economics major, both compliment each other, the economics major is near guaranteed to get me a job at either a public or private organization if the history career falls through, which I plan on following through to a professorship at some school. I'm aiming high with the degree, and I will live comfortably if I can get published early on an plow through for my PhD. If not, I can always fall back on a masters in economics. I consider both more than worth it. I also know what my focus in historiography is going to be, so that's cool. Aiming for either Chicago or Brown, already working on getting some of my work published.
>>
File: tumblr_oftnjtHY4V1txqagyo1_400.jpg (13KB, 384x395px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oftnjtHY4V1txqagyo1_400.jpg
13KB, 384x395px
>>2447672

I also study philosophy as an independent practice, mostly because intellectual history integrates well into both my majors and my focus.

Fuck Rousseau, fuck Hegel, fuck Kant, fuck the postmodernists, and fuck nearly every feminist "academic" after 1900 or so.

Pic definitely related (to me I suppose)
>>
>>2446125
Law is a trap. Go into statistics
>>
File: 1456010695828.jpg (973KB, 1411x884px) Image search: [Google]
1456010695828.jpg
973KB, 1411x884px
>>2443359

>Hyper religious (Muslim) mother essentially >forcing me to take homeopathic medicine to >help with acne for several hundred dollars per >visit. dismisses my findings that gonorrhea >molecules diluted past Avogadro's number >don't do shit.

What do I do Anon?
>>
>>2447730

What are you asking exactly
>>
>>2447730
>that pic

is this real?
>>
I read about history a lot and might do a youth ministry major in a few years... I am in missionary school right now preparing to go to Uganda.
>>
Currently in first year university doing history. Thinking I'll either become a high school history teacher or just go straight for PhD. Love it right now.

>>2444283
Thanks for the info senpai, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
I graduated from my Political Science master's degree at 21 two years ago, and now work in a small market research/consulting firm.
Met a lot of interesting people, had a lot of fun. Classes of course helped me to expand my culture, but mostly it was my own hobby to read and being in touch with what's happening.
Looking back I think the most valuable thing you learn in college is to get out of your little intellectual box, and the network you create.
>>
>>2443195
Historian major (with a minor in asian studies). Gonna do my master afterwards.
Probably gonna work as a teacher or as a researcher for doctorate. I don't really know but I'm not really worried about that to be honest.
>>
yes, duke
Economics
its worth it, school is full of degenerates though

self-study history a lot
>>
>>2447693
How much do you hate ya boi Max Weber?
>>
>>2443195
I am going to study philosophy next year when I go to university. I am currently participating in a yearly secondary school philosophy competition (and am doing well), so let's hope for the best. It's exceptionally interesting although the sheer quantity of information I am forced to learn in a relatively short time can be somewhat intimidating.
>>
Yes.
History.
No. I'm fucked when I get out.
Self-study history quite a bit.
>>
>>2443195
Start a trade.
>>
File: 1486573002519.jpg (90KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1486573002519.jpg
90KB, 957x621px
>when you realise you've been trying to argue with literal high schoolers the whole time
J U S T
>>
>>2443195
In college studying for social studies education, which includes history. I've found that actual education classes are generally bullshit
>>
>>2450157
>go on /tv/
>someone doesn't understand a movie
>explain it
>can't get through his thick head
>after almost 2 hours he claims he's in film school (1st year)

>go on /pol/
>someone makes a false statement on global warming
>correct him
>exon shills come out of the woodwork
>spend 3 hours trying to explain
>one of them let out that he "destroyed" the students of his highschool class when they made a school debate about AGW

I'm not that old but I sure feel like it
>>
Finished Uni half a year ago with a Master in Pharmacy.

Those years were both the toughest and best of my life so far. Definately worth it.

History and languages are great things for self study and personal improvement. But I would never study it as a profession.
>>
>>2450212
>I'm not that old but I sure feel like it

God do I know that feeling. I get older, 4chan stays the same age, why the hell do I still come here?
>>
>>2443195
Philosophy major at UC Berkeley. I transferred here last semester, I like all my professors. John Searle is a fantastic lecturer, probably will end up getting a masters in philosophy. Or move into tech, I'm a junior sys admin right now and it's pretty fun desu.
Definitely worth it.
>>
Hey high school history teachers, is it as miserable as it sounds?
>>
File: smeemymenanddrpavel.png (82KB, 372x395px) Image search: [Google]
smeemymenanddrpavel.png
82KB, 372x395px
Yes

Pharmaceutical Chemistry

No, I made my decision based on career prospects and I've realised now I'd be happier and more fulfilled as a jobless poet. Additionally, my addiction to drugs is particularly uncontrollable because of my profession.

I the self-studfy king. My trifecta of activity is completing college obligations, shitposting on the internet, and reading anything I can lay my hands on.
>>
I am currently in college in this moment, I am majoring on Child Development, but I self study mainly History, Religion, Music, Social Studies and Cultures. I do think it will be worth majoring on that because I want to achieve a career at school. I am currently reading a great biography on Napoleon also.
>>
>>2450274
kek, this so much
>>
Nursing, I am a paramedic but now I want to work in an ED as a nurse. Well, I want to be a doctor but I am think it is too late in my life to pursue that. I may switch to pursuing a degree as a PA instead though.
>>
>>2443195
Music education major, id say it's worth it, music is the one area I've got some talent in, and it's what makes my life really enjoyable. Only problem is I've got to go the full PhD route and hope I make the right connections so I can get a decent university position.
>>
>>2450695
What kind of music do you like?
>>
Yes.

Last year on History. But every thread I see here on /his/ I feel dumber not "so bad it killed brain cells" but actually feeling that I know jackshit.

Love it and I actually like teaching (the only market on my shithole of a city). My "dream" is to teach on my local uni Antiquity since it's pretty much trash right now for th lack of a specialist on the subject.
>>
>>2447693
>I also study philosophy as an independent practice

"I watch a youtube video on the subject every couple months or so."
>>
>>2443195
I was majoring in history but I realized it wouldn't do me any good

So I dropped out and then began the welding program at a nearby CC

I'm expecting to get my first certificate by the end of this year
>>
>>2443365
Doesn't paleo cut out whole grains in lieu of fats and protons, e.g., nuts and red meat?
>>
>>2443208
It's pretty fuckin retarded to think higher education isn't worth it because it can't be directly used to make a bunch of money. Then again, I guess you'd expect an uneducated person to think so.
>>
>>2443195
Yes
International relations / Finance
Yes, IR was something I did out of a lack of direction after HS but I don't regret it. Will get an MA in economics/finance or do an MBA and I'll make shit loads.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 372x372px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 372x372px
>>2450296
>searle

Don't tell me you get lectured by john searle, i'm jelly AF
>>
>>2452165
This, so much this.
>>
studying marketing, it's ok, a lot of job opportunities but i'm just glad i don't have to do shit tier jobs like factory/mcdonalds work
>>
>>2443231
Another viable course is to work as a history teacher. I mean, being a teacher doesn't pay extraordinary amounts, but history teachers on average get paid the most. If you work as a teacher at a public school, you get a pension plan as well. I'd go for that, which I am.
>>
Graduated trade school in welding.

I can't afford college.
>>
File: 1443104422038.jpg (74KB, 544x733px) Image search: [Google]
1443104422038.jpg
74KB, 544x733px
>>2450376
>That filename
>>
>>2443316
what are you planning to do? PhD, research, ...?

t. interested in studying economics
>>
File: 1486096928010.png (229KB, 366x476px) Image search: [Google]
1486096928010.png
229KB, 366x476px
>>2454893
>its pretty fukken retarded to try and force feed youself crap you will never use at a cost that cant be paid in a timley manner. But i guess if you bought into it and had a silver spoon up your ass since day 1 then you dont even fucking know what you are talking about. Enjoy learning a trade and being responsible: loser.

>t. 'educated' asshole
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.