[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This day, exactly 100 years ago, the Zimmerman Telegram was published

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: zimmerman.jpg (3MB, 2073x2625px) Image search: [Google]
zimmerman.jpg
3MB, 2073x2625px
This day, exactly 100 years ago, the Zimmerman Telegram was published publicly in the United States. Two days later, the Germans admitted it was genuine. This led to much anti-German sentiment in the USA, and was a major factor in the American declaration of war on Germany a month later.

So did the Germans really think this would accomplish anything even if the Americans hadn't found out about it? Why would Mexico agree to this? How would they even muster enough men to cause any notable diversion in US attention whatsoever when the entire Mexican Army of the period was basically non-existent and could get owned by the National Guard?

Was it autism?
>>
What I have to wonder is: Why was germany so honest? You'd never get that kind of honesty from a major power today.
>>
>>2441665
Mexico was undergoing its own revolution at the time, and USA was backing the contras. Zimmermann's message was to the revolutionary Government, who already saw themselves at odds with the USA.

It's also worth noting that in the message itself Zimmermann states the ideal situation would be to keep America neutral, but by that stage he considered America entering the war on the side of Britain inevitable, and an alliance with Mexico against USA was the 2nd best outcome.
>>
>>2443178
Was that Pancho Villas rebellion?
>>
>>2443212
Yes, around that era. Mexico was more or less in civil war or on the brink of it for pretty much the entire decade of the 1910s.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.