[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"How could [person/country] living in the [1500s/1600s/etc..]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1486154162754.jpg (16KB, 480x368px) Image search: [Google]
1486154162754.jpg
16KB, 480x368px
>"How could [person/country] living in the [1500s/1600s/etc..] do such a terrible thing?"

Why do people try to apply their modern western sensibilities as a criteria for judging the things that happened in the past?
>>
>>2440708

Because we are moralising animals and cannot hep but attribute agency to what is in fact blind historico-economic forces.
>>
>>2440708
What's even more funny is that we never stop doing terrible things, it could even been argued that the 20th century gave rise to some of the most terrible stuff done in the history of mankind.
>>
>>2440708
Eh, while I agree that this complaint can be annoying, in some cases something we find repulsive when we read about it in history was actually regarded as bad even at the time, as well. Think of all the shit that goes on today that pisses people off.
>>
File: 1444231884608.jpg (3KB, 119x125px) Image search: [Google]
1444231884608.jpg
3KB, 119x125px
>>2440708
>Why did Christians in 1618 AD murdered each other? I mean, God said "Thou shall not kill"!
>Why did the Mujahedin in 2014 AD killed other Muslims? I mean, shouldn't they wage war on infidels?
>>
>>2440863
But that's the thing really. There has always been people doing repulsive things through the ages, how can it surprises people that some guy did a terrible thing a long time ago? if it's done now, why not back then?
>>
>>2440708
>modern western sensibilities
Morality doesn't even exist, when humans are being kind and social with each other, they are actually just ignoring their primitive nature. The humanitarian agenda is being pushed, which so many people are getting sick and tired of, which is the primitive side speaking out. War and destruction is something fundamental about human society, and actually healthy.
Not even nationalism helps, sure, we hate people of other colors and nationalities even more (naturally), but even those of our own kin can get in the way and are therefore killed and slaughtered (ex.: history).
>>
>people are apologists for Columbus' cruelty
>when he was arrested in Spain for cruelty during the time of the Inquisition
>>
File: rice fields.gif (1MB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
rice fields.gif
1MB, 300x166px
>>2440708
"How could X do such a terrible thing?"
Asked in shock and not in terms of analysis is always retarded. People do bad shit all the time and if you can't think of a reason for them to do it then you are a retard. If you think everyone is guided by some innate sense of morality then you are an idiot. ISIS does some terrible shit, I don't gasp and ask how? I ask why and then condem them when I find out their reasons are shit.

tl;dr being shocked once older than an adolescent is a sign of stupidity/naivety
>>
>>2440708
There's a lot of stuff back then that was horrid by their standards of morality.
>>
>>2441182
Anon there's NOTHING behind Isis' motive at all.
>>
>>2441218
There is a reason for everything people do
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.