[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important was Marco Polo in the overarching narrative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: marco-polo.jpg (96KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
marco-polo.jpg
96KB, 620x412px
How important was Marco Polo in the overarching narrative of world history?
>>
First things first, he probably made up a lot of his journeys from hearing stories from other people.

But as a symbol, everyone loves the idea of journeying and exploring.
>>
On a 1 to 10 scale, probably a solid 6
>>
Been studying the Mongol Conquests, China under Mongol rule, and Marco Polo and I gotta say, this has been one of the most entertaining sagas in history I've ever read. So many great characters. Kublai Khan is way different than you think a descendant of Genghis Khan would be. The dynamic of Marco Polo and Kublai Khan reminds me of William Adams and Ieyasu or Lawrence and Faisal.

As for importance, it doesn't seem like Venice or the rest of Medieval Europe cared much for Marco Polo's story. It seems like they thought the story was cute or romantic and most likely fictional, though this could be speculation on my part. Medieval Europe at the time did not care for the eastern world as too much was happening in their own.

The only immediate kind of influence he has was introducing paper money to the west. Paper money originated in Tang and Song China iirc.

His work (the Travels of Marco Polo, which wasn't even written by him, but his jail mate Rustichello da Pisa) becomes a little more influential in that it inspires Christopher Columbus about a century and a half later.
>>
>>2441643
>It seems like they thought the story was cute or romantic and most likely fictional, though this could be speculation on my part.
They called his work "The Thousand", the thousand referring to the "thousand lies he made up". People didn't believe it.
>>
>>2441667
>The Thousand
More than that (I understand the confusion though, mille = thousand, milione = million)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/review/marco-polos-million-lies
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.