[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw read no books for over a month because I read one at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Reddit.png (7KB, 395x73px) Image search: [Google]
Reddit.png
7KB, 395x73px
>tfw read no books for over a month because I read one at a time and the brothers Karamazov is so fucking boring
>read less than 150 books in that time

Reading other people wank over how much philosophical / psychological insight this book has reminds me of what a pseudy exercise literature has become.

This book is horrifically boring. I can't bring myself to read and I'm only at about page 130 out of about 700.

Can someone explain what I'm supposed to get out of this? And if the insights are so profound, what are they? A third question: Is enjoyment ever supposed to be involved?

The cherry on top is that almost nobody would be praising this book if it was written today. And if it was written today and self published then nobody would read it and it would be mocked if it was read (>inb4 you dispute this). This shit would not happen in a medium / art form that wasn't close to death or dead. And I know I'll be mocked for using "enjoyment" (the E word) and that wouldn't happen with a healthy medium either.
>>
>>2439117
This is the most pleb post I've read today. Good job brainlet.
>>
Brothers K was a really good book. Incisive prose, insight on the nature of belief wrapped up in a compelling story.

I liked Crime & Punishment more though just for Rodion. Has anyone read Demons/The Possessed? Does it stack up to his other work?
>>
>>2439117
People are going to call you a pleb for this, but I don't get Dostoevsky either, which is weird because I really like Russian Golden Age lit in general. I struggled through C&P, barely, and I've tried to read Brothers Karamazov in both Russian and English. Couldn't do it. Stopped after like page 300. Maybe there were fantastically insightful things about the human condition on page 301 but I wasn't having fun so I didn't read them.

Your comments about novels/literature in general are going too far though. One, the book is almost a century and a half old. It's survived for a reason. OK, so it's not to our tastes. It's not to most people's tastes, in the 21st century. But clearly people did derive genuine enjoyment from it or it wouldn't have survived quite a few decades during which literature and theater were basically the only games in town. You're also out of your mind if you think that pretentious "if you don't get it you're a moron" wanking is unique to literature -- have you ever fucking BEEN to a film festival? -- and literature isn't "close to death" unless you arbitrarily discount, you know, all of the shit that people do actually enthusiastically read, in which case you're guilty of pretty much the same thing you're railing against.

It's worth noting that Dostoevsky is by no means representative of 19th-century Russian lit even though he's one of its most famous authors. Tolstoy is NOTHING like Dostoevsky, not just in content but also in tone. War and Peace is a pretty fucking good war/adventure story that occasionally dips into philosophy. Tolstoy's writing much livelier and less introspective. There's political intrigue, duels to the death, lots of irresponsible drinking and gambling, adultery and scandalous love affairs, huge battle scenes, etc etc. Ditto for Pushkin's short stories and so on (I suspect you might not enjoy Chekhov though.)
>>
>>2439117
>Brothers Karamazov is boring

REDDIIIIIIIT
>>
I found it to be very insightful and I still think about the meaning of it to this day (read it like 10 years ago)

but it is ALSO very boring, it involves a lot of repetition, and it's a chore to read.
>>
>>2439124
I tried to read Demons but it's extremely boring. I will try again though, the characters are quite interesting
>>
>>2439124
yeah i read it a long time
from what i remember most of it is shitting on the heads of the characters non stop
>>
Try The Idiot instead, I think it's better. Plus it's one of Mel Brooks' favorite books.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.