[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fragmented has the English language become? How many years/generations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: ga780727.gif (43KB, 600x174px) Image search: [Google]
ga780727.gif
43KB, 600x174px
How fragmented has the English language become?
How many years/generations does it take and what factors do you think influence it?

Could I hold a dialogue with somebody from the 1800's?
1700's?
Etc

Both parties would probably think the other sounded retarded
>>
hahaha funny commic
>>
File: english-language-proficiency-map.png (128KB, 1024x602px) Image search: [Google]
english-language-proficiency-map.png
128KB, 1024x602px
>>2438590

I cannot speak on the linguistic parameters of fragmentation but general observation and relevant studies show that English is suffering from globalisation of language and global induction from non-native languages.

While under normal social dynamics, it is not unusual that words are loaned, mannerisms are adopted and phrases are introduced. But it takes time and is gradual.

Nowadays, English, owing to local vernaculars and dialects is getting filled with all forms of words, mannerism and phrases which originated from a foreign language. It is changing on a very rapid scale and scope.

I think you would be able to converse on basic terms but some of the grammars and phrases would have completely different meaning. I don't have examples at hand here but a look through unaltered old edition (new print) Bible does provide some glimpse that indeed the English then was different to what we understand as being normal. Heck even Tolkien's writing form is an effort to go through, even taking in account that it is a fiction and literary work.
>>
>Could I hold a dialogue with somebody from the 1800's?
>1700's?
Yes

Modern English poetry, around 400 years old

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to

English, 600 years ago

Whan that Aprille with his shoures sote
The droghte of Marche hath perced to the rote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,

English, a little over 1000 years ago

Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in gear-dagum
þeod-cyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum
monegum mægþum meodo-setla ofteah;
egsode eorl[as] syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorð-myndum þah,
oðæt him æghwylc þara ymb-sittendra
ofer hron-rade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!
>>
>>2440050
>Bruhzil has very low proficiency
I am not impressed

"Vai braziliam"
>>
Once you got around the pronunciation, you'd have no problem with modern English, middle English may take a bit to recontextualise certain words and pronunciations, but otherwise not too different, for old English it would really help if you had studied German then you may understand a handful of simple sentences.
Frisian people nowadays would have no problem talking with old english speakers, though.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.