[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any real justification for Christians tolerating banking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: Thomas-Aquinas.jpg (186KB, 505x701px) Image search: [Google]
Thomas-Aquinas.jpg
186KB, 505x701px
Is there any real justification for Christians tolerating banking and finance, at least as it's come to be practiced?

Lending at interest is condemned in both the Old and New Testaments, and most of the Doctors of the Church have said that it's a grave sin. Aquinas even calls it a mortal sin.
>>
>>2436702
If you except that economics is a science you could argue that its findings are beyond the realm of faith.

But thats going on a limb
>>
>>2436702
For me, "usury" then *did* mean interest because the wealth that they were using was almost always tied to actual, physical things that were and could be valued. Interest in that situation, with a smaller "money" supply and a fundamentally different money supply than our modern fiat currencies, equated to financially creating something from nothing with no effort by the usurer.

In the modern age with our style of economics and our kind of money supply, usury is much more akin to predatory lending or any other kind of financial chicanery to defraud people. Shorting a stock and all the bullshit that derivatives can get you into aren't explicitly referenced as financial sin in the Bible, however in the scope of what they are able to do to people they absolutely qualify as being capable of financial sin, usury. Just lending at interest when what is lent is a fiat currency doesn't come close, by my lights.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.