[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any examples of long-standing Christian saint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: animal semen.jpg (99KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
animal semen.jpg
99KB, 960x1280px
Does anyone have any examples of long-standing Christian saint veneration that might as well be non-Christian paganism?

I don't mean HURR DAGON FISH HAT DURR I mean actual documentation of, say, a small village in France that has developed an elaborate ritual scheme based around four saints and animal sacrifice to them.

I'm interested in the most pagan aspects of Christianity, and the remnants of Roman polytheism found in it (And the resurgence of these elements). Are there any existing (or historically recorded) examples of groups, cults, or denominations that dropped Jesus, Joseph, and Mary in favor of what might as well be polytheism?

Again, I'm interested in specific incidents of this, not just "Catholicism as a whole". That's too broad.
>>
>>2435814
bump
>>
>>2435814

What you describe is mainstream for most Christians.
>>
>>2435814
Sweden incorporated the idea of preordained death where the dead was granted rewards and glory in the afterlife in the same style as in northern mythology during their Empire era,.
>>
>>2436000
don't go to death hoping for death, because you won't get it
>>
>>2436000
That's sort of what I'm looking for, but not precisely.

I'll look into that though, thank you.
>>
This here could be interesting for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliand#German_Christianity

The german wiki article to the Heliand gives a lot of examples of the use of pagan elements in the bible text.
>>
File: Saint_Valentine.png (360KB, 407x525px) Image search: [Google]
Saint_Valentine.png
360KB, 407x525px
>>2435814
Half of the extra-biblical saints are re-writes of local legends and gods, so that's hardly surprising. Cultural assimilation always leaves some residuals.
>>
Josaphat and brahlam.
>>
I have exactly what you're looking for

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid_of_Kildare
>Saint Brigid of Kildare or Brigid of Ireland (Irish: Naomh Bríd; Latin: Brigida; c.451 – 525) is one of Ireland's patron saints, along with Patrick and Columba. Irish hagiography makes her an early Irish Christian nun,[3] abbess, and foundress of several monasteries of nuns, including that of Kildare in Ireland, which was famous and was revered. Her feast day is 1 February, which was originally a pagan festival called Imbolc, marking the beginning of spring. Her feast day is shared by Dar Lugdach, whom tradition says was her student and the woman who succeeded her.

>The saint shares her name with an important Celtic goddess and there are many legends and folk customs associated with her. Some scholars suggest that the saint is merely a Christianization of the goddess. Others suggest that she was a real person who took on the goddess's attributes.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.