/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about Sassanids, what did they call themselves? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

Tell me about Sassanids, what did they call themselves? What was interesting about them? Were they wealthy and were their armies competent?
>>
>>2428336
Sassanian Empire was Persian, a continuation of Achaemenid ethos.

They called themselves "Iran-Shahr", also known as "Ērān-shahr". Ērān is the literal pronunciation of Iran. Since Sassanian times, Iranians refer to Iran by the same name. "Iran-shahr" roughly translates to "Land of the Aryans".

They were interesting because they codified Zoroastrian beliefs and were a rival of Rome. They were a theocratic monarchy though and tended to suppress unorthodox thought, though some progressive kings such as Khosrow I took measures to prevent this. The Academy of Gondishapur is considered the first hospital system and it also served as the foundation for "House of Baghdad".

Given how much was destroyed in Arab and Mongol invasions, we can only infer wealth. Based off architecture, I would say they were wealthy. They were competent and worthy rivals of Rome.
>>
>>2429452
>they codified Zoroastrian beliefs
and made it the state religion officially*
>>
File: robocath.jpg (482KB, 1459x1141px) Image search: [Google]
robocath.jpg
482KB, 1459x1141px
Gee Pirouz, why does your Spahbad let you fire 5 arrows at once?
>>
>>2429452
Do we have anything surviving from their era as primary resources to refer to events or was it all destroyed?
>>
>>2429496
Looks cool as fuck though.
>>
File: 1478461083993.jpg (108KB, 750x485px) Image search: [Google]
1478461083993.jpg
108KB, 750x485px
Their uniforms looked cool as hell, like some classical version of christian crusaders.
>>
Their horsemen looked pretty dope.
>>
>>2429906
Did any of the Persians ever use archery on their horses?
>>
File: svaran knight.jpg (84KB, 350x515px) Image search: [Google]
svaran knight.jpg
84KB, 350x515px
>>2429893
Some argue that the whole knight-system was taken from them.
With noble lords from titled families becoming knights in the Kings army in return for lands and lordship.

IIRC there were like 7 main Houses that used to run shit under the King.
>>
File: my army has only one weakness.jpg (40KB, 505x426px) Image search: [Google]
my army has only one weakness.jpg
40KB, 505x426px
>>2429915
No.
>>
>>2429496
How does this contraption even work ?
>>
>>2429993
no idea, it is apparently based of Roman accounts of some Sassanid multishot crossbow

for all we know it might aswell be a modified Chu-ko-nu, since they had alot of dealings with the Chinese thanks to controlling the silkroad
>>
>>2429496
> that color scheme on the one on the right

For a second I thought that was nineties era Rogue from the X-Men
>>
>>2428336
They were basically worthless and left no markable impact (aside from getting assravaged by arabs) on the world unlike their greek counterparts.
>>
>>2430024
Fair enough, thanks.
>>
>>2430130
(You)
>>
>>2429457
And their Mobed were very proud to tell how they killed the filthy Christians, and Pagans.
>>
>>2429852
Well, the Shahnameh was based off oral tradition and the last third does a good job conveying Sassanian culture. There are also some survive Pahlavi texts from that period such as "Book of the Deeds of Ardeshir, Son of Papak".
>>
>>2429852
ive heard some meme about Iranian archeologists recently finding a bunch of tablets/scriptures from that era
they just have a slow process of translating them
>>
>>2430130
t. constantius
>>
>>2430130
The Abrahamic faiths are largely based off Zoroastrianism. The ideas of paradise (Avestan word pairidaēza), transcendental moral dualism, light = goodness & darkness = evil metaphors, angels (yazatas), personified evil figures (e.g., Asmodeus is based off daeva Aēšma), eschatological reward and punishment (Chinvat Bridge), Day of Judgment (Frashokereti), rigid duality between truth (asha) and lie (druj), savior of light (Saoshyant), and the resurrection of the dead (Yasna 19) descended from Zoroastrian influence. Read Chapter 7 of Michael Stausberg's Zarathustra and Zoroastrianism for the most up-to-date scholarly research regarding this topic.

The word magic also has Persian origin.
>>
>>2431148
tfw not allowed to fuck sister because of religion

I want out of this timeline
>>
>>2430130
t. Julian
>>
>>2430130
t. Valerian
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.