[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Carthaginians >Persians >Huns Out of these three tough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: fvck ovtta here.jpg (69KB, 685x842px) Image search: [Google]
fvck ovtta here.jpg
69KB, 685x842px
>Carthaginians
>Persians
>Huns

Out of these three tough opponents the Romans fought, which one would say was their true arch-nemesis?

>inb4 Germanics

If you say this, you're a dumbass with poor historical knowledge.
>>
>>2424821
Other Romans
>>
>>2424832
fpbp
>>
File: Mithridates_VI_Louvre.jpg (169KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mithridates_VI_Louvre.jpg
169KB, 600x800px
Pontus for the meme-factor.
>>
Degeneracy/decadence
>>
>>2424821
>arch-nemesis
Out of your choices the persians were the only ones with any staying power, but they weren't really ever meaningfully dangerous to Rome until the split, so eh.
The germs are actually a valid choice, no matter how much you dislike it. Yeah, Rome kicked their ass multiple times, but then Rome kicked everyone's ass. At least the germs were a constant threat from the mid republic till the fall of the empire, who else can say that?
>>
>>2424832
Honestly this

I can see a point being made for Carthage since they were the only true rival Rome had in the Republic era.
Maybe the Sassanids for the later western empire
>>
>>2424821
>If you say this, you're a dumbass with poor historical knowledge
The Romans spent a lot more time fighting the Germans than they did the Huns you tard, not to mention using the term "Persians" for anything after Alexander is just blatantly generic, just because Parthian tribes conquered Media Atropatene, doesn't mean say tribes are "Persian" nor does that transfer to the Sassanids. Rome's principal enemies were, in no particular order: The Samnites/Latin Tribes, the Greeks in the Apennine Peninsula and Sicily, or the Greeks in general I guess, The Carthaginians, the Diadochi in general (you may include Epirus, Macedon, Selucids, and Ptolemy, I wouldn't include Pontus in that personally), Carthaginians, Gauls from Northern Italy to Gaul proper, the Armenians and Pontus, the Parthians/Sassanids, and thats pretty much it.
>>
>>2424821
Germanics, the fifth column won in the end
>>
carthage not even a competition

punic wars defined them. rome became the dominant power in the med after defeating carthage
>>
>>2425484
>carthage not even a competition
>Rome's big bad died half way through the first season.
>>
File: deathofcaesar.0.0.jpg (128KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
deathofcaesar.0.0.jpg
128KB, 1080x600px
>>2424832
This. Rome got too big and like anything that becomes too big it divided.

But to answer OP. Carthage even though it was pretty short. It put Rome on the tracks to become what it would be later.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.