[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there amazing things still out there waiting to be discovered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: pyramid-07.jpg (200KB, 550x370px) Image search: [Google]
pyramid-07.jpg
200KB, 550x370px
Are there amazing things still out there waiting to be discovered or have we pretty much discovered all the cool shit already?
>>
Depends what you consider cool I guess.
>>
File: bigfin squid.png (362KB, 604x368px) Image search: [Google]
bigfin squid.png
362KB, 604x368px
Loads of weird stuff at the bottom of the sea we barely know about. This thing has only ever been seen a handful of times
>>
There's nothing "cool" about this shitty universe.

I fucking hate the fake reddit over-hyping of science, and I'm studying physics. Its not cool, its just reality. Take the discovry of those planets the other day, everyone was acting like exitable little girls with their "OMG LE 7 PLANETS ARE EARTH LIKE XDDD WE ARE ALL STARSTUFF UNIVERSE IS AMAZING!!!!" bollocks. Well guess what, that's what tends to happen when a load of rocks and gas are swirling around. They clump together to form a planet. A big giant lump of rock, that's what it is.

The Universe is impersonal, nothing really means anything, there's no higher meaning to your life or mine. Its just a bubble of space with shit in it, most of which does nothing other than increase gravity. There are no new elements to be discovered other than the possibility of making some new metal that decays after 0.000001 seconds so its useless, there's no mystery behind the universe, it just is, and when we die, we'll all be annihilated and go back to non-existance, our lives having meant nothing. I don't get why people pretend science is more amazing than it is.
>>
>>2414296
>STOP ENJOYING THINGS REEEEEEE
>>
>>2414314

What are you pretending to enjoy though? Its just a bunch of particles jiggling and moving around. That's not amazing, in fact, its the opposite of amazing, its mundane as fuck.
>>
>>2414296
Wow, you sure are cool and mature, huh?
Fuck off, you edgy retard.
When people say "cool," they mean that's it's interesting. As humans, the unknown interests us. It's an evolutionary advantage. There are cool things. Fascinating things. Interesting things. You are not one of them.
>>
>>2414327
>Be a bunch of particles.
>Form stars, planets, life.
>Finally come together to form something capable of enjoying stuff!
>OMG DIS GUNNA BE GUD!
>(((refuses to do enjoy stuff.)))

>Guys, maybe he's just some sorta hedonist tsundere who enjoys everything but refuses to admit it.
>>
>>2414327
>pretending to

So you find genuine curiousity literally inconceivable. Got it.
>>
File: 1410207459939.png (145KB, 509x368px) Image search: [Google]
1410207459939.png
145KB, 509x368px
>all those fossils and ancient artifacts deep beneath the oceans and the desert sands that human eyes won't see for hundreds of years
>>
>>2414354

Yeah but they didn't. They didn't do it so could enjoy stuff, its just happened. And the only reason you enjoy stuff, love people or do anything is so these little bastard RNA molecules can self-propagate. You are basically just a 3 billion year old chemical reaction that keeps itself going. Its just fucking bollocks. There's no god, no-one's going to save us, this entire planet could be destroyed with no cosmic significance.

>>2414358

Curiosity is fine, being a redditfag LE SCIENCEXXDD moron isn't, and its not helpful to science anyway. Science demands rational, detatched, sober enquiry, not skipping around pretending an electron's wavefunction collapsing into a particle is the most mystical and kewllist thing ever when its not.
>>
>>2414191
Since you're posting on /his/ and not /sci/ (as this edgelord >>2414296 seems to have forgotten) - while there's probably a whole lotta stuff we've still not dug up, particularly on those ocean shelves that used to be dry land, we are, in some ways, coming to the more exciting part - a stage where we have enough to actually put together a picture.

Genetics suggests we were all reduced to an isolated area with maybe a few thousand people at some point in our history (and thus inbreeding like mad), and that suggests in turn, that we may all have a common culture, a proto-culture from which a whole lotta other shared cultural phenomenon can be traced: proto-culture and perhaps proto-religion.

At that same time, we've dug up enough ancient civilizations to see certain recurring patterns.

So while we're not there yet, we may be fast approaching that stage where we can stop digging stuff up, and try to find ways to put it all together and uncover mysteries not just of history, but of ourselves.
>>
>>2414191
Archeologically there's still a lot to discover. Especially in the Amazon.
>>
>>2414279
That is obviously a fucking alien
just look at it, it's got ayy lmao written all over it
>>
>>2414370
>Yeah but they didn't. They didn't do it so could enjoy stuff, its just happened. And the only reason you enjoy stuff, love people or do anything is so these little bastard RNA molecules can self-propagate. You are basically just a 3 billion year old chemical reaction that keeps itself going. Its just fucking bollocks. There's no god, no-one's going to save us, this entire planet could be destroyed with no cosmic significance.
And I'm sure that you're such a genius, I mean, truly, an enlightened being. Enjoying stuff is good for the maintenance of our sapient minds. We are lucky that coincidence(According to you) has created us, the greatest beings in the Universe, being capable of understanding it.
>Curiosity is fine, being a redditfag LE SCIENCEXXDD moron isn't, and its not helpful to science anyway. Science demands rational, detatched, sober enquiry, not skipping around pretending an electron's wavefunction collapsing into a particle is the most mystical and kewllist thing ever when its not.
But most people aren't like that, you retard. Most people throughout history who have studied science did it because, guess what!, they enjoyed doing so. They enjoyed learning things and adding them to the bank of human understanding. Even people who aren't smart enough to discover anything themselves still hold that ever-so-human curiosity. It's natural, and good for us, for if we didn't feel it, we'd still be climbing trees and eating fruit.
Yes, reddit YAY SCIENCE types are annoying, but those people are a terrible minority. Holding a natural love of uncovering information not previously known is good, and is exactly how the majority of notable people who were much smarter than you are, or ever will be, have felt, you worthless cretin.
>>
>>2414296

>everything is subjective thus nothing has meaning

It's called depression
>>
>>2414370
>significance
That's a spook, son.

We're the only creatures in the universe (that we know of) capable of granting meaning to anything. Labeling ourselves meaningful or meaningless is no fault other than our own, for we are the sole granters and deniers of meaning. If you decide everything is valueless, then you live in a valueless world. But that's your own self made hell - nothing else is going to make that decision for you, for there is no meaning outside of experience. Man may one day leave the for the stars, save the story of life on Earth from inevitable destruction, colonize the galaxy, and become godlike beings that in turn save the universe from inevitable self-annihilation... or not... But if you wanna call that meaningless, regardless of which way it goes, then nothing has meaning. Not even complaining about people who, unlike you, do what most functional human beings do, and create meaning for themselves.

And if you truly believe that life has no meaning, just start holding your breath until you die out and tell me how that goes for ya. Hopefully you'll realize there's a reason you can't do it (though I suppose if you succeed you'll have won the argument, as it won't matter).
>>
Be free take drugs be healthy live peacefully free and fully. The infinite final frontier is our mind, psychonautman.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.