[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why can't westerners achieve balance between modernity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 14

why can't westerners achieve balance between modernity and tradition?
>>
>>2409269
Because tradition is for faggots.
>>
Because the J. hijacked the West
>>
File: 1486962368657.jpg (106KB, 1160x451px) Image search: [Google]
1486962368657.jpg
106KB, 1160x451px
>>2409269
That is something the Japs perfected early on, whereas our modern culture has basically become us.
>>
>>2409299
What does the sigma represent?
>>
>>2409516
Clearly the Summa Ur Mumma
>>
>>2409516
IIRC, it's some form of Latin American (BR?) fascism.
>>
File: 1481646361238.gif (921KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1481646361238.gif
921KB, 800x800px
>>2409269
well considering our birth rates are actually still positive and our suicide rates are a lot lower than yours I think we managed it a lot better than you
>>
>>2409269
Because tradition shouldn't be a crutch and that tradition itself was done by experimenting.

>>2409299
Lol no
>>
>>2410375
Like traditional japanese houses are a joke. They look pretty but offer much less then modern housing.
>>
we are writing new tradition
>>
>>2409272
No, mocking tradition is for faggots. And especially faggots who don't respect or know the importance of, tradition
>>
File: 1456550757473.jpg (307KB, 700x890px) Image search: [Google]
1456550757473.jpg
307KB, 700x890px
>>2409269
1. the conflict between religion and science
2. tradition is seen by some to be silly and associated with backwards thinking

>>2409299
The Japanese are able to balance the two because their religion is not like Christianity which involves hardcore immaterial metaphysics and hardcore moral doctrine. Japanese religion is something more subtle and practical, and it is so deeply integrated into the culture that it is the culture more than "religion". It doesn't aggravate so much the modern, scientific consciousness.
>>
File: IMG_0815.jpg (1MB, 2048x925px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0815.jpg
1MB, 2048x925px
>>
File: IMG_0816.jpg (286KB, 1425x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0816.jpg
286KB, 1425x1125px
>>
>>2409269
Stupid people worship tradition
Smart people mock tradition
Intelligent people understand the need for tradition
>>
>>2410382
No one even commenting on this post at all?
>>
>>2410997
What he says is true.
>>
>>2410924
At first China tried to ban Buddhism and Kung Fu because le Marxism meme, but now I think they realize that nations must project son as well as hard power. A nation that doesn't export their culture and language can never truly be hegemonic, and since there is no such thing as Marxist culture they decided that the old "feudal and reactionary traditions" like Buddhism and Kung Fu movies are the way to export and project soft power to the region and the world. A nation that doesn't value its own culture and traditions becomes a consumer of other people's culture and ends up being colonized by them. At first you have a billion Chinese listening to rap music and the next thing you have a color revolution. I think Russia is very much awake too to this matter, and the state trying to rerurn to traditional orthodoxy may have something to do with it.
>>
>>2411019
Soft* as well as hard power. Fucking iPad Goddammit!
>>
>>2409269
Westerners are much more individualistic than oriental collectivists.
>>
>>2409269
>implying that modernity is not the current western tradition being practiced today.
>>
>>2410997
Even the Japanese would agree
>>
>>2411019

too little too late in the 21st century.

China and Russia both did such an extensive damage to their millenary culture it's hard to see how they plan to bring it back, specially Chinese who went out of their way to wipe out registries and traditions.

Something of the sort is slowly erasing the identity of the middle east and islamic nations, but that's another story.

America is a young nation but the image it projected of itself as the modern, free way of life, between the 40's and the 80's, is burned forever in the world. It's far too desirable, the American life of scenic roads, big houses, obiquitous commodities and innovation and limitless labor.
>>
>>2409269
Westerns in the major cities have pretty much abandoned traditions, both Christianity and Pagan, to fully embrace the fast pace life in modernity. Plus, Urban Planners care more about erecting giant glass towers to reshape the city in their image than the traditions and cultures.
>>
>>2411134
(((Urban planners)))
>>
>>2409269
>balance
>tradition
>progress
spooks
>>
>>2411244
Are the Jews responsible for all perceived worldly ills according to you people?
>>
>>2409269
"Tradition" is something made up in the present to justify actions made in the present and appeals to it are as hollow as the men making claims to it.
>>
>>2411359
Traditions and bodies are two different things.
>>
>>2409269
>tfw the US will never be art deco again

Yeah, I know we borrowed it from the French, but it could of been all our own.
>>
>>2411359
Le social studies sophomore stereotype. Well played ;)
>>
>>2411326

no, it's more like everyone who ever does something shitty can retroactively become jewish.
>>
>>2411320
Your mother
>>
>>2411019
>At first China tried to ban Buddhism and Kung Fu because le Marxism meme, but now I think they realize that nations must project son as well as hard power. A nation that doesn't export their culture and language can never truly be hegemonic, and since there is no such thing as Marxist culture they decided that the old "feudal and reactionary traditions" like Buddhism and Kung Fu movies are the way to export and project soft power to the region and the world. A nation that doesn't value its own culture and traditions becomes a consumer of other people's culture and ends up being colonized by them. At first you have a billion Chinese listening to rap music and the next thing you have a color revolution. I think Russia is very much awake too to this matter, and the state trying to rerurn to traditional orthodoxy may have something to do with it.

>awake
>not woke

missed a good joke there desu
>>
>>2411545
What's the joke anon?
>>
It gets boring after a while.
>>
>>2409269
The youth suicide, hikkimokiri, and reproductive rates do not paint a pretty picture for Japan
>>
Why do retards bring up reproductive rates when japan is overcrowded as fuck?
/his/ is full of retarded meme spouting kids.
>>
>>2409269
it's not true though
modernity is an extension of western tradition
>>
>>2410790
>>2409272
Tradition is for those that have tradition.

Mocking tradition is for those who lack any tradition.
>>
Drug prohibition
>>
The west underwent modernization at a much slower pace, there was less motivation to maintain traditions.
>>
>>2414499
Because these people are obsessed with GDP and think its the end all be all purpose of human civilization.
>>
>>2409269
Because the modern response to "that's how it's always been" is "Why?" The question 'why' is the very definition of "modernity" since the Enlightenment.
>>2411359
Example: the story of Sodom & Gamorrah was about wealthy cities that treated the poor like shit, and it pissed God off, so they got smote. What happened next? Lot banged his daughters. What do people who have animus against gay folks do? Call them 'sodomites' and justify their position and violence against them because 'hurr durr Bible.' So a lesson about not treating poor people like shit turns into "hate homos." It's not worth unpacking here why, that should be obvious to any critical thinker.
>>
>>2409269
>>2409299

Japan is a modern monstrosity
>>
>>2414499
The cities arent crowded and Japan has a lot of space but everyone lives in the cities and even more will as the population declines and the smaller towns and cities empty out.
>>
File: 1487927234441.jpg (25KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
1487927234441.jpg
25KB, 355x369px
>>2415662
>cities arent crowded
>>
>>2417473
If you go to the busiest part they are Even then Japan has a lot of less dense places of various levels fora person to do to.
>>
>>2414895
t. godless sodomite
>>
>>2415662
The cities are crowded as fuck but the reason in our chinese cartoons (large) towns and villages are surrounded by forrest as far as the eye can see in every direction is because japan has massive urban centralization.
>>
>>2409269
Traditional western aesthetics are poorly adapted to modern transition.
>>
File: 1485138062045.jpg (158KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485138062045.jpg
158KB, 1136x640px
>>2417606
you call population half to 1/3 of that of usa in a tiny island small?
are you braindead?
>>
>>2409269
we had a religion which was too serious and universal which meant that it was more vulnerable
>>
>>2417735
It doesn't mean that we shouldn't respect those traditions, though.
>>
>>2409269
>why can't westerners achieve balance between modernity and tradition?

But we are essentially the only ones who can. No other part of the world can handle capitalism and modernity.

Just look at Japan. They have 30000 suicides a year, don't have kids, and work 80 hours a week. It's idiotic.
>>
>>2409269
Because Easterners see modernity as an evolution of tradition while Westerners see modernity as the destruction of tradition.
>>
>>2418986
>we are essentially the only ones who can
Kek.

Currently, the west has:
>rejected traditional morality
>rejected traditional architecture to embrace function over form
>rejected national identity in favour of dehumanising globalism

Few places in the world have preserved tradition worse than The West.
>>
>>2419016
Meanwhile the West still has the humanities, the West still keeps buildings from a by-gone era, the West still designates places of historical importance and defends them with force.

Meanwhile, some university in Japan literally shut down it's humanities department, because humanities is seen as not making anything useful for capitalism.
>>
>>2419025
Most of that is just showmanship on the part of western countries. Most don't genuinely care about those historical sites or the humanities, they're just using it as an opportunity to virtue signal.

This can be seen through the fact that many employers deem most humanities degrees to be worthless and through the act of repurposing historical sites so that they become hipster cafes and offices, often adding extensions to them that ruin the aesthetic of the original architecture. The West might appear to care about tradition, but the values and morality of the day hardly reflect it.

Compare that to Japan, which is just as focused on strong work ethic and honour now as it was centuries ago.
>>
>>2419059
>which is just as focused on strong work ethic and honour now as it was centuries ago.

And this is just bullshit and just bias from your point of view.

Do you think people in the West don't have strong work ethic or honor?

Do you think it's possible to run a company like Apple, Microsoft or even a smaller company without having honor and a strong work ethic?

You're just seeing the world through rose-tinted reactionary glasses.
>>
>>2410896

This

The conflict between religion and science, and consequently the disdain for tradition was born during the mania of the Enlightenment, which also gave birth to the fallacy that technology is progress.
>>
>>2409269
I prefer central heating, thanks.
>>
>>2419086
You might need a work ethic to run a company, but honour? You'd be kidding yourself to suggest that.
>>
>>2419194
The marketplace runs on an implicit honor code.

If I can't trust you, there's no way I'll give you my money.
>>
>>2419086

>Do you think people in the West don't have strong work ethic or honor?

They absolutely don't

Human rights and a century of entitlement has made the average Westerner a lazy overgrown child. It's been shown repeatedly in statistical studies that Westerners are incapable of competing professionally and academically against their Asian counterparts.
>>
>>2419216
Sounds like you're projecting.
>>
>>2410790
Explain to me the importance of tradition.
>>
>>2419239

You sound mad
>>
>>2419239
project God
>>
>>2417473
>I grew up in Europe and I think Japanese cities are crowded.
Never been to India or China, yes?
>>
>>2419025
>some university in Japan literally shut down it's humanities department, because humanities is seen as not making anything useful for capitalism.

Because no one is applying to it jackass.

>>2419086
>Do you think it's possible to run a company like Apple, Microsoft or even a smaller company without having honor and a strong work ethic?

They schemed and bullied and broke the law on many occasions

>>2419205

And honour code that is broken MANY MANY times
>>
File: The Best Book.png (225KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
The Best Book.png
225KB, 620x350px
>>2420569
I-i-it makes you hard set in your ways
and proud of things you inherit instead of things you do
a-and it makes your dick swell with stupid pride
and it gives you the illusion that your arbitrary culture is better than other arbitrary cultures

These illusions taken together make you into a blind confidence machine. People love blind confidence machines. People give nice things to blind confidence machines.
>>
>>2410375
>Lol no

Lol, yes.

>>2410382
Their building practices are the perfect example of this idea, it's literally this idea taking physical form, balance between technology and nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7708E1bmoxc

>building structures without nails which can last over 400 years is a joke.

xD
>>
>>2420569
That's specifically the problem: That you even need someone to "explain" it to you. You've been alienated from what you are. Denied your birthright, and refused a chance to take it back. Asking "Why is tradition important" is like asking "Why am I human". It's a question that's even being asked because of your own ignorance.

There is an objective, observable, knowable, and vast reality that we are part of. Just because we disagree or dislike something does not stop it from being real; and just because it is outside of our knowledge does not make it real.

>>2418947
I blame the Papacy and its refusal to go full hog into Saint veneration. Keeping the Semitic portion of Christianity did nothing but bite us in the ass.
>>
>>2419059
> they're just using it as an opportunity to virtue signal
According to you lmao
>>
It's ironic that you posted a picture from nipland considering how obnoxiously artificial asian cities are

then again 'westerner' is the weeb magnet, the term they love to spout without ever visiting japan or even any other country for that matter.
>>
Which western countries don't value their traditions?

I mean, New Worlders don't really have traditions but they still honour the ones they do have. Commonwealth countries have the Queen for example. You could argue that the "non-traditional" culture you claim westerners only follow is in fact traditional American culture.

As for actual Europe, you're retarded if you think people here aren't traditional or don't do traditional things. Southern Europe is extremely catholic, they still value family extremely much. The French are known for being stuck up about tradition. It's ironic you post some trash tier Asian city that has had all of its culture replaced with sky scrapers and such. You know that you aren't allowed to build sky scrapers in Europe if they compromise the historical skyline? We don't need to build "modern traditional" houses because our fucking houses are traditional already.
>>
>>2420884
>western tradition
>>
>>2420901
>Chora windmills
>16th century culture and a living proof of European tradition
Again, very ironic. You can't even find a stock photo of Europe without it having culture and tradition in it. Hell, you try and find a picture that is negative, and it still has culture and tradition in it.
>>
>>2420915
>literally my point
You act all high and mighty that you people care about tradition, but when I did my tour of Europe about a year or two ago, literally all I saw was Rubbish, on par with literal poverty stricken Chinese shit holes.

Your people have literally no respect for your culture, it's simply legislation which keeps it alive.

>traditional housing.
>>
>>2420996
First of all, it's not the native Europeans it's the tourists who litter the popular tourist attraction spots. How do you now know this? You do realize that most of us hate it? When Americans come and scrawl their names on the colosseum? You think we go "oh golly jee, that's just fine because tradition doesn't mater"? Most people hate it. Moreover, how does garbage equal to not caring about your traditions, past and culture? Please elaborate.
>Your people have literally no respect for your culture,
You got that from your "tour of europe"? How fucking arrogant can you be? "Hurr durr I visited Paris and London, ergo I know how much the average European cares about his or her culture".

Not only are you just flat out wrong, most Europeans really care about their culture and tradition: you're also moving goalposts. The original point was balancing tradition and modernity. Now the new standard you set is that everyone has to respect their tradition and culture. Is your weebshit mind so deluded that you actually think Japanese are like that? Fucking moron.

Also nice job using stock photos of literally googling "lots of trash" and anecdotal experience. Asshat.
>>
>>2410912
I'm gonna laugh when that thing turns out to be a solar powered oven to incinerate tourists.
>>
>>2421339
BBQ for the locals
>>
>>2419025
>Meanwhile, some university in Japan literally shut down it's humanities department, because humanities is seen as not making anything useful for capitalism.
This didn't happen though. Also humanities should not be for poor people. This is one of the problems, that the kids of the rich go into pragmatic shit like finance instead of taking the noble duty of furthering culture.
>>
>>2409269
>>2409299

Japan realized early on (when they first encountered American gunboat diplomacy) that they needed to modernize everything in their society unless they wanted to be shoved around by the western powers. They did so and by 1900 they were capable of taking on Russia, by 1940 the United States itself.

As for China, their cultural revolution was never "balanced" at all, it was an outright war on their old society. It has mostly succeed hence why Chinese people are known to be scummy and worse than Russians.
>>
>>2409269
Asian here

It's because "Modern culture" evolved straight out of traditional European culture

In exchange for modernity and power, Euros essentially sacrificed thier heritage and identity
>>
File: 1477494742401.jpg (487KB, 1500x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1477494742401.jpg
487KB, 1500x1037px
Because progress is western tradition
>>
>>2409516
>>2409520
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integralism
>>
File: 2950530.jpg (2MB, 1920x1264px) Image search: [Google]
2950530.jpg
2MB, 1920x1264px
>>2409269
We because unless you're living in Germany, you have plenty of tradition, if by tradition you mean old buildings. In terms of habits, it's just that Western habits have evolved to become the global standard for a successful living.
>>
>>2419125
Don't forget, disdain for tradition also comes substantially from religion itself, specifically the puritans and dissenters.
>>
>>2423040
To an extend this.
There's like a load of stuff that people consider 'modern' that is ancient tradition, say christmas or New Years. Granted the dates and exact traditions have changed over time but that's really no different from eastern 'tradition' not few of which only became seen as such to differentiate oneself from 'the West'
>>
File: cultureless place.jpg (432KB, 762x510px) Image search: [Google]
cultureless place.jpg
432KB, 762x510px
>>2423040
>unless you're living in Germany
Care to explain?
>>
>>2423040
>unless you're living in Germany
We do have traditions in Germany though
>>
>>2423040
Germany despite being cucked by their politicians is probably the most traditional country in Europe. Regional identity and tradition is still extremely strong unlike places like France and Russia where it got completely erased (not even talking about the USA where it never existed to start with).
>>
>>2419216
Sucks then. Mind if I see those studies?
>>
Is having the same GDP for two decades considered a Japanese tradition?
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.