[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm writing a story set in the west around 1867. Basically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1432412071555.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1432412071555.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
I'm writing a story set in the west around 1867. Basically it's about a bounty hunter racing against other people looking to collect a very high bounty from someone. The problem is the bounty itself. What's a bounty that is large enough to garner the attention of the whole country and draw people to collect it, but not so large that it's unrealistic for the time.
>>
File: austria_ducat_1756[1].jpg (79KB, 300x158px) Image search: [Google]
austria_ducat_1756[1].jpg
79KB, 300x158px
>>2405534
1 Million Ducats
>>
>>2405534
"…a $5,000 bounty, even for a murderer was quite large, equating ~$113,000 today."

Jesse and Frank Jams both had "higher end" $5k bounties in 1881 so $5k during the Civil War might be too much..
>>
>>2405534
Attempted regicide Maybe or someone who was trading and state secrets to the country's worst enemy
>>
>>2405612
I just went back and read Opie I guess you meant the wild west and not Western Europe my bad
>>
>>2405600
civil war era** misread OP as 1861

reconstruction was expensive
>>
>>2405600
Would $6k be enough to make people from various states come and also be not totally realistic.
>>
Depends on the crime.

Like stated, murderers and robber Frank and Jesse James had a $5,000 bounty issued by Missouri in 1881.

The feds offered $100,000 for John Wilkes Booth after he killed President Lincoln in 1865.

Bounty hunters in general usually traveled between states and territores already. It would take a pretty penny to get unexperienced guys with guns to leave home and go track down a dangerous person.

I dont think the bounty is the issue so much as the culture of bounty hunters.

what was the crime? who issued the bounty(local, state, fes gov...private wealthy citizen)? Where was the crime?
>>
>>2405666
I was asking because what the bounty is for isn't a crime but just a Rockefeller type looking for someone whose escaped from him. So I wanted a number to base it off of, so i don't come up with an absurd bounty.
>>
>>2405534

I hope you're a good writer and successful! I do love a good western, How I wish I could have been alive during the golden age of Hollywood westerns despite the glamour of it.

The world needs more frontier and western stories
>>
>>2405747
Lol forogt to change my name from my own thread, sorry...
>>
>>2405534
The bounty is just the icing on the cake. The fugitive killed the bounty hunter's brother in the Battle at Appomatox. Shot him in the back.

You're welcome.
>>
>>2405733
ok then. It is a private, clandestine bounty posted by a rich businessman of some sort. (Feels John Wick like)

Is the target dangerous? that would influence the bounty. Businessmen are generally smart and wouldn't spend more than a government would.

I think anything $10,000-$50,000 would be in the realms of possibility depending on how wealthy this guy is and how badly he wants the target. Anything around $2,500+ would inspire a career bounty hunter to cross state lines
>>
>>2405782
From what you've been saying I think $10k is a good number for a bounty and large enough to gain sizeable attention from seasoned bounty hunters and amateur ones.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.