[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How could French voltigeurs and tirailleurs be of much use if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: ima_ravatirailleurs_fin.jpg (145KB, 689x512px) Image search: [Google]
ima_ravatirailleurs_fin.jpg
145KB, 689x512px
How could French voltigeurs and tirailleurs be of much use if they had the same kind of muskets regular infantry had? Surely if they were countered by mass line infantry fire they would be overwhelmed? British riflemen I can understand, being out of range with an accurate rifle taking aimed shots at officers and such.
>>
They used cover to harass moving formation of men in the open
>>
>>2404227
How come the formation couldn't just swing around and give a volley? A spread formation of voltigeurs must've been chewed up by something like that, cover or not?
>>
You should read up about Skirmishing and Light Infantry tactics.

Skirmishers in open formation using cover are impossible for a close-in large formation to turn and shoot at.

They're all spread out and in cover, sniping and scooting. They're not hanging out in plain sight, in large groups, with no cover, waiting for you to shoot back while they reload.
>>
File: 1440682209933.jpg (157KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
1440682209933.jpg
157KB, 600x390px
>>2404975
There's many problems with that. First, even a well-drilled musket line can't turn to address threats very easily. Orienting a linear formation and getting them into a volleying rhythm takes a good minute. Second, muskets are really, really fucking inaccurate. You could fire a dozen muskets at the same man-sized target and easily not hit it, even in the absence of cover. Third, any volley dealt by the formation is going to generate a lot of smoke, which gives the skirmishers all the concealment they need to fall back, reorganize, and come back at the formation again.
>>
>>2405029
So if a a dozen muskets can't find their marks, would one or two really be that big a threat? I understand that they had some sort of marksmanship training but still, you pretty much had to be withing throwing distance right? British rifles were reasonably accurate up to around 150 yards iirc.
>>
>>2405120
A dozen muskets *firing at individual spread out soldiers* couldn't find their marks. One or two *firing at a massed line infantry formation* were pretty much certain to hit something.
>>
>>2405156
Oh, gotcha. I thought they would be picking out individual targets. Do we know from sources how much damage they made? Were they a serious concern or just a slight annoyance?
>>
>>2405190
Probably both, no? Unable to stop a determined attacker or overwhelm a defender, but very much able to force a unit to respond somehow, since nobody likes to be shot at for long.
>>
>>2405120
Because the skirmishers are firing at a formation, not at a single dude
>>
they practiced hard
>>
The lack of name calling in this thread is astounding, good show
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.