[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long has the concept of"generations" being unique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 1487430496192.jpg (682KB, 1600x1372px) Image search: [Google]
1487430496192.jpg
682KB, 1600x1372px
How long has the concept of"generations" being unique special cultural blocs existed? Now I constantly hear the media talking about baby boomers, gen x and millennials and just got curious how long as this been common?

Also general generations discussion or whatever haha
>>
>>2400080
Even the Greek philosophers complained about "kids these days".
>>
>>2400080
>general generations discussion or whatever haha
This is the level of autism i can relate to

Anyway, people have been complaining about how its going to shit and how it used to be great since beggining of time. This new generation is just special since there are lots of new thing specifical for it, social media being the most important one.
>>
File: k9QQLju.jpg (119KB, 540x668px) Image search: [Google]
k9QQLju.jpg
119KB, 540x668px
>>2400080

literally forever

there are hieroglyphs complaining about how the younger generation of egyptians are disrespectful and will lead to impending civilizational collapse etc

[spoiler] they were right [/spoiler]
>>
>>2400178
People always complain about the millenials being a lost generation, but this is the first generation with widespread access to the internet, all the information in the world is at their fingertips

I just can't imagine this generation being dumber than the previous ones, I expect them to turn out 50 times more intelligent
>>
>>2400339
Well, they'll know more but their heads will be wedged FIRMLY up their asses in a way other generations weren't
>>
File: generations.jpg (72KB, 402x866px) Image search: [Google]
generations.jpg
72KB, 402x866px
The names of the generations present in England and then America dating back to the end of the middle ages. According to William Strauss and Neil Howe anyways.
>>
>>2400790
>homeland generation

what did he mean by this?
>>
Probably forever, although I think that it's rather recent that we started naming specific years and giving titles to the generations. To add to what people are saying, it seems pretty cross-cultural. Here's a section from the Hagakure where a doctor complains about how young men have become weak:

>In the practice of medicine there is a differentiation of treatment according to the Yin and Yang of men and women. There
is also a difference in pulse. In the last fifty years, however, men’s pulse has become the same as women’s. Noticing this, in the treatment of eye disease I applied women’s treatment to men and found it suitable. When I observed the application of men’s treatment to men, there was no result. Thus I knew that
men’s spirit had weakened and that they had become the same as women, and the end of the world had come. Since I witnessed
this with certainty, I kept it a secret.

>When looking at the men of today with this in mind, those who could be thought to have a woman’s pulse are many indeed, and those who seem like real men few. Because of this, if one were to make a little effort, he would be able to take the upper hand quite easily.

>That there are few men who arc able to cut well in beheadings is further proof that men’s courage has waned. And when one comes to speak of kaishaku, it has become an age of men who are prudent and clever at making excuses. Forty or fifty years ago, when such things as matanuki were considered manly, a man wouldn’t show an unscarred thigh to his fellows, so he would pierce it himself.

>All of man’s work is a bloody business. That fact, today, is considered foolish, affairs are finished cleverly with words alone, and jobs that require effort are avoided. I would like young men to have some understanding of this.
>>
>generation abc did THIS and generation xyz did THAT

It's literally all marketing schemes and propaganda, the next time you hear some idiot talking about how millennials don't like cars as a generation take into account millennials are burdened with a shitload of debt and spend their entire paychecks on food, rent and a Netflix account.
>>
File: IMG_1921.jpg (119KB, 926x1294px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1921.jpg
119KB, 926x1294px
>>2400080
Mandatory "these darn kids" watching. Sums the whole phenomena up really well, with the real old guy in the end.
>Old guy: oh these darn kids, I'm glad I won't be around to see the world when they're in charge
>really old guy: that's a bunch of bullshit, the young were always young and they always end up changing into us.
>>
File: IMG_0792.jpg (58KB, 814x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0792.jpg
58KB, 814x500px
Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen
INT. ELLIS’S HOUSE – DAY

ELLIS
Loretta tells me you’re quittin’. How come’re you doin’ that?
ED
I don’t know. I feel overmatched. I always figured when I got older, God would sort of come into my life in some way. He didn’t. I don’t blame him. If I was him I’d have the same opinion about me that he does.

ELLIS
You don’t know what he thinks. I sent Uncle Mac’s thumb-buster and badge over to the Rangers. Put up in a museum. Your daddy ever tell you how Uncle Mac come to his reward? Gunned down on his own porch over in Hudspeth County. Seven or eight of ’em come up to here. Wantin’ this and wantin’ that. Uncle Mac went back in the house and got the shotgun, they was way ahead of him. Shot him in the doorway. Aunt Ella came out and tried to stop the bleedin’. Uncle Mac all the while tryin’ to get that shotgun. They just sat there on their horses watchin’ him die. After a while, one of ’em says somethin in Injun and they all turned and left out. Well, Uncle Mac knew the score even if Aunt Ella didn’t. Shot through the left lung. And that was that. As they say.

ED
When did he die?

ELLIS

ED
No, I mean was it right away or in the night or when was it?

ELLIS
I believe it’s that night. She buried him the next mornin’. Diggin’ in that hard old caliche. What you got ain’t nothin new. This country is hard on people. You can’t stop what’s comin’. Ain’t all waitin’ on you. That’s vanity.
>>
>>2400080
I think it started with the Baby Boomers. The concept of generations has probably been around since about the mid seventies.

The thing that trips me out is that these were designations made for American Generations, in other countries in the world try to apply the same system but it doesn't work
>>
everyone thinks their grandparents are comfy, their parents are lame, their generation is special and edgy and their kids are stupid
>>
>>2400339
But the ubiquity of information leads to apathy pertaining to its application

Whenever they have a question they'll just go to their phones, they don't actually "know" anything
>>
>>2400972
Brit here, it is Amazing how people do this. They refer to the 50's as if the 50's in bombed out food rationed Britain was like the 1950's USA.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.