/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You all heard the idiom of " in this world nothing can be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Philosoraptor.gif (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Philosoraptor.gif
60KB, 500x500px
You all heard the idiom of " in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." right? If this is true than my question is, are the laws of death and taxes Infinite or indefinite?
>>
File: ohyou.jpg (38KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
ohyou.jpg
38KB, 450x338px
>>2397243
no
>>
>>2397252
pls? i need to know.
>>
>>2397460
Death is indefinite, taxes are infinite
>>
>>2397697
Ignore the link
>>
>>2397702
>>2397697
what makes you say so? If taxes are infinite, shouldn't infinity be includes as a certainty in our universe too?
>>
>>2397956
Death is a true constant, taxes are merely an unavoidable construct
>>
>>2398020
but can they really be separate from each other? can something really die without it being taxed, or be taxed to death? I honestly think they are both infinite, but that also poses the question that those laws carry on after death. If your into Christianity, are you not being taxed for all your good karma to get into heaven, or bad deeds to go to hell? If those laws exist outside of this life, whats to say we cant die or be taxed again in our afterlife?
>>
>>2398020
Also are taxes really a construct? Unlike time, we can actually observe taxes happen to us, even in death itself.
>>
>>2397243
the quine-duhem thesis states would imply that even death and taxes are not certain because there are an infinite amount of assumptions one must make before stating the hypothesis "in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
>>
>>2398108
Interesting, thanks for that. I am no philosophy buff, so its always fresh to see other people's takes on these broad philosophical questions. Just from what i quickly read from the wiki of quine-duhem, it would seem that the thesis works on the basis of most mathematical and physics based hypothesis, but more philosophical based ones are left open because they cant really ever be proven in the first place. If it could be proven that death and taxes can be cheated, wouldn't that be like having the power of gods? Could perfection be possible? I always believed that everything humans do could be undone. No amount of security could keep a person away from something if they want it enough. Even if we managed to fuck up some experiment and stopped all time from flowing, effectively negating death and taxes, that somehow it would inevitably be reversed somehow.
>>
>>2398108
Interesting to think that if it can be proven that death and taxes can be cheated, and thus be brought into the realm of physics, that it can also be un-cheated back into the realm of non understanding by this thesis. For example all it would take is for us to label something as immortal and then for it to inevitably die for us to think that we cheated death, and then un-cheated it.
>>
Any more explanations, or is this all there is to it?
>>
>>2398190
Quine tries to "blur" the lines between what popper defines as science i.e math, physics and pseudo-science ie. freudian psychoanalysis, neo-marxism. Popper says science is that which can be falsified: we can determine Newton's laws to be either true or false through experimentation. However, one cannot falsify neo-marxism, or psychoanalysis. the QD thesis says one cannot even falsify "science" because of the infinite amount of assumptions. Furthermore, no one can precisely refute a statement, as that refutation may have unaccounted assumptions
>>
>>2399963
So from what i gather from the thesis, is that there are no certainties in the universe then?
>>
>>2401096
science cannot objectively explain things
>>
>>2397243
>" in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."

You wrote ", except death..." (with a comma) as if parenthetical, as if it were irrelevant to the meaning of the sentence if removed.
You wrote:
> In this world nothing can be said to be certain.

Otherwise, if there is never to be peace on earth, taxes, suffering and death on earth will be (until after wwIII anyway).
>>
>>2397243
Considering people like al sharpton refuse to pay their taxes to no negative consequences i'd say it's false.
>>
>>2402473
i actually copied " in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
from the wiki. Your right though, good eye.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.