[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is America not seen as a colonial power/empire? The United

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: American_Empire1.png (108KB, 2753x1400px) Image search: [Google]
American_Empire1.png
108KB, 2753x1400px
Why is America not seen as a colonial power/empire? The United States took half of Mexico, colonized North America, took over the Philippines, Cuba, Guam, Palau and a host of other islands, etc.
>>
>>2392613
Propoganda. Also, it probably depends on who you ask. I doubt Filipinos and Cubans wouldn't consider them a colonial nation.
>>
In its continental matters, the difficulty is that the states did not necessarily run those territories as proper european colonies. Y'know, it was all land that would eventually get integrated into the United States proper and be given all the rights and obligations that that entails, even begrudgingly to a lot of brown folks they couldn't kick out. It was not until the Cuban-American war that the US received territory for which that wasn't the option they wanted.

On the matter of these later territories, the Philippines and Guam and such, it is because these colonies did not really make the US a colonial power, in the sense of its power being defined by its colonial territories. The UK has colonies today, but we do not therefore think of it as a colonial power, because these last colonies do not make up a significant amount of the UK's power.
>>
>>2392635
I mean "Spanish-American war"
It's been a long day.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.