[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to this board, can anyone recommend a book/site or anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4426.jpg (167KB, 2095x1274px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4426.jpg
167KB, 2095x1274px
New to this board, can anyone recommend a book/site or anything really that accurately details the lives and legacy of the Vikings?
>>
File: 1485536195262.png (189KB, 326x307px) Image search: [Google]
1485536195262.png
189KB, 326x307px
Play M&B Warband with Viking Conquest and Brytenwalda. Several hours per day.
>>
>>2383965
http://pastebin.com/kL8YuzXr
>>
>>2383965
Ever check out Hurstwic? Great resource. http://www.hurstwic.com/history/text/history.htm

You could always read any of the Sagas. I'm currently reading a book of the Icelandic Sagas and it's pretty neat. It's amazing how relatable the characters are.
>>
>>2384301
>VC
Yes
>Boringblanda
No
>>
>>2383965
That Arab dude who traveled from Western Morocco to like India has a good little account of meeting them in the Black Sea to trade
>>
>>2385288
Both are trash lmao
>>
>>2385343
VC was shit when it came out. Reforged edition is great.
>>
>>2385324
ibn battuta

another arab traveler though, ibn fadlan, wrote his own travel account during which he travels through the kievan rus and writes extensively about the volga vikings and their customs
>>
>>2385324
>>2385422

Not OP but those sound really cool. The largest hoard of Abbasid coins was actually found in Sweden, which I found interesting.
>>
>>2385511
Basically Ibn Battuta said they're tall, physically appealing, and in great shape but are also dirty degenerated who fuck each other in the dirt and are constantly drunk
>>
>>2385539
Dirty, or dirty dirty by arabian standards? IIRC, the Norse had regular, ritual baths. However, since it used standing water, Ibn Battuta still considered it filthy, as in Muslim tradition, when bathing, the body shouldn't sit in dirty water but rather have clean water poured over it.

>>2385511
I've read something similar in 'The Age of the Vikings' by Anders Winroth. I believe he wrote that a measurable fraction of all silver coins found in Viking-Age, Scandinavian hoards were Arabic Dirhams, minted in places like Iran and India.

Honestly, I think the trade network the historic Norse had going is way more interesting than their raiding.
>>
>>2385635
I think part of his account is that the viking men passed around a bowl of water to wash themselves in. They would blow their noses and everything in the water and share it.
>>
>>2385650
His record was actually ambiguous as to whether or not they dumped out the water with each use or just kept using the same bowl. I think it's more likely than not that they emptied out the bowl after each use.
>>
>>2385635
>Honestly, I think the trade network the historic Norse had going is way more interesting than their raiding.
well, it wasn't uncommon for the vikings to engage in either raiding, trading or both at the same time. But yes, the Vikings were a big presence on the Volga from the 800s to about the 1100s. Janet Martin's Medieval Russia describes the trade nicely in the beginning of her book. Alternatively, sverre bagge's cross and sceptre: rise of teh scandinavian kingdoms probably also has a more extended discussion on the trade.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.