[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Of all men in History, was Leopold II of Belgium the most /ourguy/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Leopold II.jpg (29KB, 345x450px) Image search: [Google]
Leopold II.jpg
29KB, 345x450px
Of all men in History, was Leopold II of Belgium the most /ourguy/?

>be born from a loveless marriage, and a father who clearly hates you for how the only thing you get interested is FUCKING MAPS
>litterally sneers at you and is quoted as saying that you are "sly and subtle"
>your own cousin Victoria I calls you "odd", and thinks you chat like an autist
>your country sucks
>be scared of your own wife because she is sociable and you aren't
>be smug as fuck though and only learn French, thus screwing over your entire flemish population
>your marriage with your wife goes so bad that she writes to a friend that she wishes she could kill herself
[BUT]
>you really really really fucking like colonies
>tfw you have no colonies though
>try to buy some colonies the Dutch have but they tell you to go fuck yourself
>then hire some guy to wander around Africa searching for a suitable colony for you, and raise him to the status of a superstar
>finally find *the* place, somewhere they call the Congo
>disgonnabegud.png
>nobody thinks that measly Belgium should own that much land though
>now have to masquerade as a benevolent charity which is actually a front for your business holdings
>but that's alright because it means that once you own that colony, you'll be cucking your little country out of a colony
>invent the fucking art of lobbying by getting an american senator to get the Congress to recognize that your rinky dinky charity should own all of the Congo
>now go to the French, and pretend that you'll soon be ruined with all the funding you'll be bringing to your new Congo colony, and that you'll sell it to them if that happens
>french buy into this and give you unconditional support in your claims
>meet with the germans, and remind them that if you don't get this land, France or Portugal might and they're protectionist as fug which the germans hate
>germans give you the a-ok too
>>
>next off to see the british, and slip it to them that if they don't support all of your claims, you'll give up colonization and will probably sell what you have of the Congo to the french
>brits vomit at the thought and promise you their help
>skip to the conference of Berlin, 1885 where the three top dogs of Europe are unconditionally supporting that you get the largest and wealthiest bite of the African cake
>you are now a certified playa and are free to fuck hookers to the end of your days at Saint-Tropez (historically true)
>while killing off 10 million congolese who don't rake in the cash so well

I don't think diplomacy the likes of which he did will ever be topped.
>>
Leopold was actually trying to do charitable work though, it was his numerous advisors and bureacrats pulling the strings and fucking shit up.
It's such a shame that an innocent man gets smeared while the actual perps are never talked about.
>>
>>2379088
Is that a genuine historical theory?
Then again, knowingly overseeing the ownership of as many subjects as he did, and yet never bothering to verify that that they are herded under decent conditions doesn't seem that hard to see blame in either.
>>
>>2379068
The 10 millions are the biggest meme in history. No one has any idea of the population of the Congo at the time. There were a few thousand Belgians on site, most of which occupied building railroads or managing farms, with the added counter guerilla warfare in the Katanga. During a time of terrible epidemics that killed many Belgians and Negroes.
People just assumed some number of the population before the first census on the basis of "hey I saw a village, let's multiply its density by the area of Congo and we have the total population". Of course there were ten million "missing" on the first census.
>>
I've noticed there seems to be a link between being interested in history and social awkwardness aspie traits
>>
>>2379133
Honestly, I couldn't ever pretend to know enough on the matter to even be able to refute any of that, but know that when I was disseminating that about the "10 million", I was doing it humoristically and going by what the pop-culture about the events is. So maybe you're correct, and what I said earlier isn't trying counter any bit of what you've argued.
Shit man, I wanted to chat about diplomacy here. Not some dead congolese ;-;.
I didn't even want
>>
>>2379164
Is it that an interest in history makes one a sperg, or is it that spergs are naturally drawn to history and geography.
>>
File: Germanic kind of feel.gif (2MB, 235x150px) Image search: [Google]
Germanic kind of feel.gif
2MB, 235x150px
>>2379197
Spergs find out that there have been Spergs throughout History in all walks of life and find a belonging in History.
>>
>>2379197
Considering how rampant "escapism" is amongst autists, I'd wager to say that it's the latter.
>>
>>2379197
I think it's the latter
>>
>>2379189
Don't worry, I like the 10 million meme in its own manner.
It makes Leopold seem even more of an absolute madman that he was.
>>
>>2379088
t. Leopold II of Belgium
>>
>>2379066
>only thing you get interested is FUCKING MAPS
iktf
>>
>>2379224
Could be considerably less, could be 8mill or close to it or small chance even more. Leopold burned all records so it will be never be truly accurate but the fact that he got all records and papers on his colony burned to remove his paper trail hints at a pretty damning conclusion.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.