[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If we could eliminate the major causes of death (cancers, tumors),

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: time.jpg (404KB, 1600x1055px) Image search: [Google]
time.jpg
404KB, 1600x1055px
If we could eliminate the major causes of death (cancers, tumors), the major causes of low quality life (Alzheimer, Parkinson) and slow down or stop aging (the planned obsolescence of the human body, where it slows its growth and regeneration), could we say we have achieved some form of immortality?
You can still kill yourself, or overdose, or get shot, but it would be expected you can live centuries.

And, should we pursue such extended longevity, if the way that our species grows over time is changing generations? Immortality is an evolutionary dead end.
>>
Not history or humanities
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
19KB, 400x400px
>Immortality is an evolutionary dead end.
>>
>>2377986
If you are immortal, you don't want to have children, since they (presumably also immortal) will compete with you forever.
So you don't procreate, since its stupid to do so, and not in your interest, and thus your genetic code isn't altered to be better via mutations over the generations.

>>2377983
Its philosophy and/or ethics. I don't ask how it would be done, just if it should be done.
>>
>>2377998
>thus your(the immortal) genetic code isn't altered to be better

You don't understand the concept of evolution...
If you are immortal, then being better at survival is a moot point.
Also, your first sentence is just like, your opinion based on the original suppositions.
>>
>>2378023
>super virus shows up
>all the 800 year old immortal men die
>end of humanity

WOOOOW

Yes, we would fucking need to procreate to keep the genetic change up and get taller men with bigger dicks, no little toes, less armpit hair and more pattern baldness.
>>
>>2378030
>super virus shows up
>all the 0-80 year old non immortal men die
>end of humanity

You still don't get it. Your misconception on evolution is actually quite common, so there's bound to be countless examples to clear it all up for you on the intertubes...

Possibly here somewhere
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/misconceptions_faq.php
>>
>>2378043
Humans are currently very diverse, no virus would kill us all.
If we altered our genes a bit to not age, and stop having kids, we will be stuck in a similar genetic state.

Cultivated bananas and apples are all clones of one lucky fluke, since if you take a good apple seed and plant it, there is a 99.9999999% chance a shit sour apple will show up. These are cloned rather than reproduced, so a virus can, and in the past has, wiped out all of our super fruits.

Super men face a similar problem.
>>
>>2378064
No, you're still not getting it...
>>
Inability to change is caused by mental deterioration. Fixing that means humans would be flexible forever.
>>
People would start going insane en masse. Imagine the entire world being stuck in their mid 20s in perpetuity. All kinds of weird fucking shitty maladaptive behaviors will set in. People need an arc to their life and deep down everyone is glad it eventually all ends.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.