[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the Umayyad Caliphate/other Islamic Empires colonize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Why didn't the Umayyad Caliphate/other Islamic Empires colonize the Americans before Europeans? The Almoravid dynasty controlled the coast of Morocco and its ports down to what is now Western Sahara from the 1000's onward.

To make things even easier, Morocco sits along the westward-circulating Canary/North Equatorial ocean current, which means that you basically just had to set a ship adrift a few hundred km offshore, and it would naturally be swept toward the Caribbean.
>>
they lacked naval technology
>>
>>2377017
What ships were they using to sail around all over the Indian ocean and down the east coast of Africa to Zanzibar/Tanzania?
>>
>>2377008
Europeans sailed out of Europe to the America's because they were literally looking for a way to access the far east without going/trading through the Islamic world.

There would have been no incentive for the Islamics to do so. Humans don't like going on incredibly dangerous journeys where half your crew dies and the rest all lose their teeth unless there is a huge reward. Long sea Journeys until about 1660 were just ridiculously dangerous.
>>
>>2377021
Fast coastal ships for warm and relatively calm waters.

An Atlantic squall would have ripped them in half.
>>
>>2377017
there have been record of islamic merchantman sailing as far as china though i suppose an invasion is a different thing
>>
>>2377035
I don't have a citation, but I recall reading that Islamic traders sold turtle shells from species found in the Torres Strait region between New Guinea and Australia, which indicated some kind of trade between the merchants and the natives of that region.

That's quite a ways to sail from Java.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.