[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What role did the American Civil War play in military strategy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: civil-war-in-color-lincoln-3.jpg (71KB, 838x547px) Image search: [Google]
civil-war-in-color-lincoln-3.jpg
71KB, 838x547px
What role did the American Civil War play in military strategy as it relates to preparing Europe for the Franco-Prussian War and WW1?
>>
File: Train.jpg (13KB, 490x285px) Image search: [Google]
Train.jpg
13KB, 490x285px
*Choo Choo*
>>
>>2376593
was the guy on left running at verry hgih sped?
>>
>>2376642
More like he didn't stand perfectly still for the 10 seconds required for exposure.
>>
>>2376593
My understanding is most Europeans viewed American military tactics as two mobs rampaging across the countryside and occasionally slaughtering each other.

Though they were impressed by some of the tech involved.
>>
>>2376663
That quote, often attributed to von Molke, is a fake. Everyone in Europe, especially Prussia, learned a lot from the US Civil War. Combined with their observations/involvements in contemporary European wars gave the Prussians revolutionary ideas about mobilization and concentration.

Check here http://cwbn.blogspot.com/2008/11/richard-f.html

Also, Sherman's response to a reporter stating that same thing: "Moltke was never fool enough to say that. I have seen Moltke in person; I did not presume to ask him the question because I did not presume he was such an ass to say that. The Prussian army learned many a lesson and profited from them by our war and their officers were prompt to acknowledge it"
>>
>>2376696
Thanks, didnt know that. Makes sense being that the franco prussian war seemed to take off where civil war tactics left off
>>
>>2376593
Many Europeans honestly were under the impression it was just crowds charging at each other due to the insane death tolls.
>>
1/3 of America was able to out produce every other contorted military at the time. They had to have paid attention to that
>>
>'The Franco-Prussian war was one of the first cases of industrial warfare'. Discuss.

What did my professor mean by this?
>>
>>2376632
Fpbp
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.