[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, so you guys told me they had long spears and that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

Ok, so you guys told me they had long spears and that's why they conquered so much shit.
But why didn't the persians just use even longer spears?
>>
That would require them to be familiar and comfortable with the phalanx formation, which would require whole new training and drilling (Egypt hired some Greek mercenaries to train a contiginent of their troops in phalanx format, and they were there for roughly 12 months) and proper auxiliary forces to accompany them, which also requires expertise to how to position them with the phalanx in certain situations.

Also, Zoroastrianism preaches a caste society like Hinduism, with a dedicated minority warrior class. In the Achaemenid region of Persia, they probably adhered to that and most of said class comprised of Calvary that they emphasized on and properly maintained, and just used regular levied local yeomen for most of their Persian foot infantry units, who by Greek accounts (although potentially bias in this regard, do consider that the overwhelming amount of writers on them praised their cavalry skilled and arms) were nothing special.

Persians dominated Asia likely due in thanks to their calavry skills, mobility (which having a predominant light and missile infantry force will do), sieging skills, and diplomacy. It happened that Alexander had those to, but with newly developed and highly innovated siege engines and artillery, a better central infantry force and happened to catch the Persians off-guard and got lucky by having most of their western Asian and Egyptian subjects peacefully submitting to him.
>>
File: Bulgaria.png (2MB, 3791x2647px) Image search: [Google]
Bulgaria.png
2MB, 3791x2647px
>>2363145
The Macedonians had long spears.

That meme in the op is not Macedonia.
>>
>>2363724
How is the force the persians assembled at gaugamela in any way "catching them off guard" ? Even the most conservative estimate of persian troop numbers that day would have Alexanders army outnumbered at least 2:1.
>>
File: Flag-map_of_Turkey.svg.png (97KB, 1870x801px) Image search: [Google]
Flag-map_of_Turkey.svg.png
97KB, 1870x801px
Ok, so you guys told me they had powerful cannons and that's why they conquered so much shit
But why didn't the greeks just use even more powerful cannons?
>>
>>2363999
so you're saying they were bulgarians instead of macedons?
huh?
>>
>>2364030
"Catching them off-guard" I meant bringing an unexpected invasion so quickly before the Persians could send a sufficient force to Antolia and arriving at subject cities and getting welcomed before the Persians stopped them in time
>>
>>2363145

>FYROM flag

Very nice subtle bait for Greeks, you got me
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.