[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't italian mafia culture glorified in the 30s like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Why wasn't italian mafia culture glorified in the 30s like nigger gangsta culture is today?

pic kinda related
>>
>>2357097
It was, relative to the day. Especially in major cities. They just didn't have mass media.
>>
It's almost as if the overwhelming majority of Italian immigrants were hard working wage slaves who were often the primary victims of the mafia and tried to distance themselves from them before they became a meme in the 80s or something...

Coincidentally work a day blacks suffer the most from the local crack dealing set but for some reason side with them because of muh institutional oppression or whatever.
>>
>>2357097
You never seen gangster movies? You think people joined the mafia for no reason and the mafia was totally uncool?
>>
>>2357112
They do? I'm not sure this wouldn't have been as resonating if some didn't feel this way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51vFbsZkhXU
>>
>>2357113
Mafia movies appeared much later. I'm talking about contemporary glorification. Also the teamsters were never glorified. Why niggers though?
>>
>>2357124
Bud, people like Capone were treated like Robin Hood by their own communities. There's an extensive and long history of outlaws being seen as heroes by the common rabble.
>>
File: IMG_0537.jpg (110KB, 288x412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0537.jpg
110KB, 288x412px
>>2357124
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>2357097
I'm pretty sure it was. Heck they are today, so many people watch The Godfather thinking how cool and badass Micheal Corleone is. Ignoring the entire tragedy of his character
>>
It was.
>>
>>2357124
>Why niggers though?
'Gangstas' popped up in the 80's and 90's, when crack cocaine was a huge thing and nibbas were killing each other for it
>>
>>2357112
Probably has something to do with the fact that the system was literally against blacks in the 60s and 70s right before they got hit with the CIA using them to buy and sell drugs to prop up illegal revolutions in south America and the middle east. The government might not be against them anymore but just 30 years ago it was pretty obvious the state didn't give a flying fuck about them and that mentality of "the white man is keeping us down" remains because that was the life their parents knew and the conditions they lived in reflected that. It's much less prominent among middle or lower middle class blacks and the really old communities in the country but everyone feels it because it was pretty obviously targeted. The difference is that one group tried to move past it and the other doesn't or can't.
>>
>>2357097
It was... Go watch some old keystone cop movies. Hell, some people were even advocating for the mafia to replace the government, simply because they were providing more extensive employment and social services in certain locals (even welfare in some instances), in addition to better policing.

...Can't really say that of the today's "gangsta's" though, but well, crack. Though I suppose, in some instances, in ghettos, folks do go to the local gang lord before they go to the police.
>>
>>2357143
>>2357202
Do you know nothing about 1930s pop culture?

>>2359336
This. Criminals back then were celebrities and treated like heroes, just like they always have been.
>>
>>2359357
Fuck, that got all garbled with all the quoting. If it's not obvious, I was telling OP he was clueless about the time period he was asking about and agreeing with the other people who are pointing out how wrong he was.
>>
>>2359208
Why weren't the teamsters glorified?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.