[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that it seems like the new Testament God, Jesus Christ

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 20

File: Jesus.png (389KB, 1024x536px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.png
389KB, 1024x536px
Why is it that it seems like the new Testament God, Jesus Christ of Nazareth is just the kindest most merciful being you could ever imagine, but the Father in the Old Testament can come off across as down right psycopathic at times, with tests that he already knows the outcome to?
>>
The Jews worship Yahweh. Yahweh is satan.
>>
Gnosticism my dude
Fight the demiurge desu
>>
File: Remove Them.jpg (178KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
Remove Them.jpg
178KB, 469x600px
>>2356683
Jesus could throw down when He wanted to.
>>
>>2356700
That was proportional though, it wasn't a test of the God of the Old Testy asking Abraham to kill his son, or to wreck a man's life over a bet with Lucifer... What is the purpose of that? That just seems to be mean without reason. I can understand why Jesus lost his cool in that scenario, he didn't kill anyone either in throwing them out of the temple.

But the playing of tricks on people and stuff like that in the old testy just doesn't seem like the God of the New Testament at all.
>>
>>2356683
because none of that shit is real and was written iver thousands of years by people in vastly different political, social and economic realities.
>>
>>2356683
That's funny you say that, since the concept of eternal damnation and boundless punishment is introduced with Jesus.
>>
>>2356683
>Why is it that it seems like the new Testament God, Jesus Christ of Nazareth is just the kindest most merciful being you could ever imagine
Does he? He calls a begging Canaanite woman a dog, he loses his shit in the temple and drives out the moneychangers with a whip, he straight up tells his opponents that they are going to burn in hell many times.
>>
File: St. Mark.jpg (91KB, 945x960px) Image search: [Google]
St. Mark.jpg
91KB, 945x960px
>>2356709
Their purpose is to instruct us about faith and God's sovereignty.
>>
>>2356683
Someone wrote a book called Yahweh the Two Faced God.
>>
>>2356683
Because religion is and always has been a method for controlling the masses, you fuckwad
>>
Because that's not true.

Jesus IS the God of the Old Testament.

http://barbwire.com/2014/03/12/debunking-lies-bible-part-7-god-genocide/

The "OT God is cruel!" meme seriously needs to end. It has been debunked many times.
>>
>>2356683

Yeah, no. Jesus is a CUNT, he straight up threatens people with eternal fire if they refuse to worship him. At least in the OT, you can die to get away from Yahweh.
>>
File: god is good-ish.png (1MB, 1063x1536px) Image search: [Google]
god is good-ish.png
1MB, 1063x1536px
>>2357238

Yeah, just because Yahweh lies, murders, cheats, is insanely jealous and petty, and genocides whole peoples for the sins of a few doesn't mean he's anything but 2100% good and moral. How do I now? Because the Bible tells me that he's good and moral :^)
>>
>>2357253
>historical and cultural context? nah fuck that
>lemme just regurgitate atheist lies

here's your reply
>>
>>2357253
http://barbwire.com/2014/03/12/debunking-lies-bible-part-7-god-genocide/

How does it feel being wrong?
>>
>>2357255
dont bother, neo-atheists are ignorant and irrational
>>
Because Christianity doesn't follow the old testament and worships a false messiah and the highly edited teachings of his disciples
>>
>>2357265
It's not bait though, it's the truth. Yeshua is a false messiah who instead of saving anyone, died. And the religion that his followers spawned is so removed from the Tanakh that it's barely even recognisable
>>
File: bait4.png (149KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait4.png
149KB, 625x626px
>>2357277
>>
>>2357281
>facts are bait
>>
>>2357255
That link doesnt refute that picture, it tries to refute the seventh chapter of hitchens book "god is not great" but you just copied and pasted an article, if you really cared you would've refuted the picture.
>>2357259
>making broad generalisations
>believing that religion is rational
>>
File: fairy tale.jpg (34KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
fairy tale.jpg
34KB, 320x320px
>>2357287
>my God-hating nonsensical ramblings are facts
>>
>>2357294
>calls someone out for making a broad generalization
>makes a broad generalization himself

lol
>>
>>2357298
When did I say that I was atheist? I follow the Tanakh, not the new testament
>>
>>2356730
>Christians have no answer to this.
>>
>>2357300
You dont believe your own religion is rational?

Top kek
>>
>>2357238
/thread
>>
>>2357298
>Using shitty facebook memes
Wew lad
>>
>>2357253
Christians BTFO
>>
>>2356742
I'm pretty sure it's just God being a petty unjust, jealous and psychotic mf.
But what do I know?
>>
>>2357317
Thats just because you're using logic, and christians cant use that.
>>
>>2357328
>>2357317
>>2357315
>>2357312

Samefag
>>
>>2357331
Christians got real quiet when i got here so i shitposted a little bit, but im not all of those.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-13-11-56-46.png (109KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-13-11-56-46.png
109KB, 540x960px
>>2357331
>Samefag
No
>>
>>2357255

Are you denying that god genocided people in the OT? Wow, what a surprise, a Christian liar!
>>
>>2357254
>god almighty is limited to our cultural norms

You poor stupid prick.
>>
Because vengence is easy, but compassion is right
>>
>they are able to see the biblical "god" as evil.
How about you recognize that youre dealing with the demiurge and read about gnosticism?
>>
>>2356709
>wreck a man's life over a bet with Lucifer
That book isn't literal

As for the test's of faith, Christ demanded tests of faith from his followers regularly. Asking Peter to walk out into the stormy water was asking him to essentially commit suicide, but to believe that God would see him through.
>>
>>2359636
>As for the test's of faith, Christ demanded tests of faith from his followers regularly.
Its almost as if he isnt all-knowing.
>>
>>2357254
>historical and cultural context
>The omnipotent, omniscient, almighty creator of the cosmos is bound to bronze age ethics
here's yours
>>
>>2359719
>Its almost as if he isnt all-knowing.
Those don't actually equate. While Christ knew the end result, Peter did not. The test was for Peter, and to build up his faith, and prepare him for his role to come.
>>
Jesus was a human. Maybe he was also God, but he was most definitely a human. God the Father is most definitely not a human. Things that work for the Father don't necessarily work for the Son, and vice versa.

Also, God is justified for all the shit he does in the OT. Fight me.
>>
File: They know not what they do.jpg (29KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
They know not what they do.jpg
29KB, 200x200px
>>2357317
Not much apparently.
>>
>>2360991
God wouldn't have done half the shit he did if the Hebrews weren't such obstinate jackasses.
>>
>>2357375
The Canaanites and others that lived in Palestine displeased God with their sinful ways. Their children would have grown up to be just as sinful as their parents, so God decided it would be more merciful to have his servants (Hebrews) kill them all. We're all God's property, and he can do what he pleases with us.

Also, if you were the all-powerful deity that created the universe, and the tiny insignificant ape-people that populate one of your planets started worshiping trees and statues and other inanimate objects, you'd be pretty jealous and pissed off too. We should worship the Lord because he's the only one that has the power to help us. God being mad that his creatures are ignoring him isn't the same as a human being jealous of his neighbor.
>>
File: Christ-killing-monster-jew1.jpg (150KB, 966x716px) Image search: [Google]
Christ-killing-monster-jew1.jpg
150KB, 966x716px
>>2360999
>>2360999
>>2360999
Triples confirms it.
>>
>>2360408
Are you saying that peter was the real MC of the NT?
>>
>>2361033
It's like textbook Stockholm Syndrome.
>>
>>2361716
Well, his successors are the earthly leaders of the Church. So, yes. At the very least he's co-MC with Paul.
>>
>>2361741
So jesus was a supporting character.
>>
>>2361749
Jesus is God. He's just there.
>>
He's the same God in both old and new, cuz.
>>
Because the old testament shouldn't be canon

Never read the old testament and never will, read the new testament 4 times, fucking loved it
>>
>>2360999
>The omnipotent and omniscient souvereign Lord and Ruler of the Universe
>Cant make camelfucking desert tribe listen
really makes you think
>>
>>2361882

That and originally Yahweh, even to Jews, was simply one god in the Canaanite pantheon that was the god of the heavenly army and weather. He was never attributed this being all powerful stuff until much later. It's why you see him testing people, losing to iron chariots, etc. To the old Hebrews other gods did exist and Yahweh was just the Jews' tribak god as other tribes had their own. This idea that he was god of everything came far later, and even later after that that he even cared about gentiles (even Jesus calls a Canaanite woman a dog and pretty much says he came for the people of Israel alone).

Half of this contradictory shit in Christianity is making excuses for attributing shit to god that he was never meant to even care about or be able to do. When you do that, a lot of the previous stuff becomes contradictory. Because rather than a war and storm god with limited powers and part of a pantheon and only caring for one tribe, you have to take those stories and ideas and make an all powerful and all loving god out of it. And it simply does not fit because those stories were not written with that in mind to begin with.
>>
>>2361882
Free will is a real thing in Christianity.
>>
>>2361954
Genesis says God is the creator of the universe and has no equal. It's the very first book of the Bible, no traces of polytheism anywhere in it
>>
>>2361972

Which was added in much later. Secondly, Jews were not polytheistic. They were henotheistic. They understood other gods to exist, but they only worshiped one god. Each tribe basically had their own god from the Canaanite pantheon, of which Yahweh was with the Jews. No real idea why, maybe they drew straws for it.

Just google Yahweh and the history of Jewish monotheism. It's an interesting history and how the Jewish idea of god changed so radically with the times. Just don't read it if you want to believe that your god was ever thought of to be omnipotent or the only god or all loving, or gave two shits about anyone who wasn't a Jew.
>>
>>2357308
Dayum
>>
>>2356683

Read up on Jung, read his "Answer to Job". It will probably give you the most satisfying answer to the question you're asking.

Also look into Gnosticism.
The Demiurge, Yahweh, is essentially viewed as malevolent. Not really evil, but lording its power like a tyrant over its weaker creations.
>>
>>2361033

So god is a limited creature unable to act except thru his slaves?

>The Canaanites and others that lived in Palestine displeased God with their sinful ways.

What, ALL of them? Sounds like a systemic fault. Who created the Canaanites again? Because whoever it was did a piss poor job.
>>
>>2361970

This can't possibly be true, since if it were, God would have violated the free will of the Apostles by revealing himself to them. So either not EVERYONE gets free will, in which case god is arbitrary, or free will doesn't exist, in which case god is malevolent since he burns people in hell for the sin of being created "wrong".
>>
>>2356683
concept of deity also evolves with culture from tribal to national to imperial
>>
>>2357302
What do you expect us to say?
>>
>>2356683
Jesus was a cuck

Convert to Yahwhism
>>
>>2363538
I always wonder. Don't the religious realize that the continuous evolution of religion and religious dogmas prove that there is no - and never will be - one true religion?
>>
>>2363547

Nothing, because there is no response. Jesus was a cunt, a narcissist and a charlatan, he has this reputation as being a nice guy but anyone can see for himself that he wasn't. Naturally, Christians simply lie about this, as they do about so many other things, because they have no shame or integrity.
>>
>>2363547
Admit that Jesus wasn't all gentle and meek
>>
File: 72599297.jpg (161KB, 500x478px) Image search: [Google]
72599297.jpg
161KB, 500x478px
So much this
>>
>>2363570
>he has this reputation as being a nice guy
Only American Protestants think this
>>
>>2363565

If religious people were capable of reason, they wouldn't be religious.
>>
>>2363576

Pretty sure nearly all Christians think this, actually.
>>
File: Jesus.jpg (81KB, 450x490px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
81KB, 450x490px
>>2363581
Ask an Orthodox or Traditionalist Cahtolic if they think Jesus was a hippie and "nice guy"
>>
>>2363578

edgy

I'm religious and an atheist, take your strawman elsewhere.

>Inb4 sperg attack

I know it sounds crazy but you don't actually have to view the stories as literal fact for them to contain truth
>>
>>2363602

Try it yourself you utter tool. Go ask a Catholic if Jesus was a nice guy, see if he answers "well no, he was a cunt, but he was god so it doesn't matter".
>>
>>2363605

So you're a moron? That's nice, moron.
>>
File: 1348817131475.gif (525KB, 441x300px) Image search: [Google]
1348817131475.gif
525KB, 441x300px
>>2363614
>>
>>2363565
true religious experience acknowledges growth, change and also evolution as spiritual realities as well as natural
>>
>>2363619
>HURR I choose to believe things I know aren't true
>t.moron
>>
>>2363622

>I can't tell the difference between fact and truth
>surely everyone else are the morons
>>
>>2363612
He wasn't a cunt, He was righteous and firm
>>
>>2363628
>He was righteous and firm

I sense a dick joke in the works
>>
>>2363443

My nigga
>>
>>2363625

Except the "facts" in the Bible aren't. They're myths.
>>
>>2363628

Self-righteous and a prick, are the words you're looking for.
>>
>>2363641

You're either not understanding what I'm saying, or you're trying really hard not to.

That is exactly what I've been trying to say to you, the Bible is MYTH. It contains metaphor and truth, not facts.
>>
>>2363647

Myth is the opposite of truth you utter moron. But then we've already established that you're a fool so it doesn't surprise me that you;re an illiterate, too.
>>
File: Campbellcanteven.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Campbellcanteven.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
>>2363657

You clearly don't understand what myth is...
>>
>>2363647
Problem is it only started being treated as myth when it was obvious it wasn't fact.
>>
>>2363657

Joseph Campbell would be ashamed of you
>>
>>2363660

And you're clearly a moron.
>>
>>2363664

He understood that myth wasn't true, he simply thought that he had found a universal core to many (not all) myths (protip: he was wrong).
>>
>>2363662

Better late than never. We dont have to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We can take what is useful from the stories and free ourselves of the dogma at the same time

Just take the story of "Jonah and the Whale" for instance. Jonah is going along in order and the totality of reality commands him to do something. He seeks to escape from it and flees from safe and dry land onto the oceans. A great storm comes and threatens the ship. The crew throw him overboard at which point he’s swallowed by a giant whale and taken deep underwater until he prays and is let back on onto dry land to fulfill God’s command.

If you take this story literally, you’ll find yourself at odds with a lot of facts. Whales don’t generally eat people nor can you survive in the belly of a whale. Ancient people had no idea what a whale looked like so the depictions of the whale look reptilian. But through the lens of order and chaos you get a much clearer understanding—and a lesson!

Have you ever had an experience when you’re going along and feeling fine but then something happens to throw you completely off-balance? Maybe your parents got divorced, maybe you had a major breakup, maybe you failed a year of school, maybe you broke your leg or someone close to you died. Unexpected and unplanned things happened and you felt like you were drowning and didn’t know when the clouds would ever part. But one day, over time, you woke up and things seemed less dark. Eventually, you even noticed that the sun had broken through the clouds of your life and you felt like you were on solid ground again. This is an experience everyone who’s lived at all has had and that’s the experience this story of Jonah talks about. That’s why this tale has been repeated for over four thousand years—because it says something true about the nature of human existence.

Additionally this story gives a lesson: listen to the decrees of the totality of reality otherwise risk falling into chaos.
>>
>>2363669

>no really the more I push this issue the more right I am even though I'm clearly refusing to understand something
>>
>>2363685

The Bible doesn't call it a whale, just a fish.

>We can take what is useful from the stories and free ourselves of the dogma at the same time

there is nothing "useful" in a fairy story about a man living in a big fish. It might be interesting, or funny, or an important cultural artefact, but trying to find the "true core" or the "useful heart" of a story for imbeciles makes you an even bigger imbecile.
>>
>>2363687

I'm not joking, I know you think you're smart, but you are a moron. Sorry to be the one to break this to you, kiddo.
>>
>>2363692
>>2363693

You must really love listening to Sam Harris
>>
>>2363464
It is true because God revealed Himself to the Pharisees as well but they chose not to believe.

>"'they may be ever seeing but never perceiving, and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!'"
>>
>>2360999

but the worst shit wasn't even done to the hebrews
>>
>>2363698

Yeah, funny how they wouldn't take the word of a narcissistic charlatan that he was *actually* god almighty. You'd think the almighty creator of the universe would be more persuasive, but I guess he was "moving in mysterious ways" :^)
>>
>>2363692
>there is nothing "useful" in a fairy story

Literally everyone in the field of Comparative Mythology will disagree with you
>>
>>2363705

Firstly, no they wouldn't, and secondly, then they'd be just as moronic as you are.
>>
>>2363703
The majority of people will reject God and there is nothing mysterious about it since even before Jesus the prophets were constantly reminding the Hebrews that only a remnant survives while the majority perish.

>A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
>>
>>2363714

So because people can reject god, this proves....? Jesus may have been a failure at tricking people into thinking he was god, but it wasn't for lack of trying on his part, and if he actually IS god then not only is it baffling that he could fail to persuade someone, it also makes a nonsense of the claim to free will, since he tried very hard to rob people of their freedom to believe, not least by performing cheap magic tricks.
>>
A God that sends you to hell for the rest of eternity is not merciful.
>>
>>2363725

Or just.
>finite sin
>infinite punishment
>>
>>2363723
Jesus didn't fail in convincing people He is God; Christianity is the largest and most influential religion in human history. Those who saw Jesus in the flesh and rejected Him did so out of their own unbelief which was their prerogative as individuals and verily they have their reward.
>>
>>2363748
>Jesus didn't fail in convincing people He is God;

You LITERALLY just said the Pharisees weren't tricked by his lies. This should be impossible if he were god, and is a clear and total violation of free will even if he IS god.

Answer me this: Would the apostles have become Christians if they'd never met Jesus? Or would they have remained jews and (presumably) be burning in Hell right now?
>>
File: fixed.jpg (535KB, 1063x1536px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.jpg
535KB, 1063x1536px
>>2357253
Atheists BTFO.
>>
>>2363728
The attitude of an unredeemed heart produces infinite sin which is why an infinite punishment is justified; without the restoring power of the Holy Spirit, human beings produce sin in perpetuity.
>>
>>2363760
>The attitude of an unredeemed heart produces infinite sin

No it doesn't. This is simply and obviously wrong, humans are finite creatures, incapable of infinite ANYTHING.

>without the restoring power of the Holy Spirit, human beings produce sin in perpetuity.

Because that's how we were created. Who created us, again? Because THAT guy is clearly an inept moron of a deity.
>>
>>2363753
Jesus never lied and the Pharisees were tricked by Satan into trusting in their own righteousness to save them.

I don't know what would happen to the apostles had they never met Jesus personally. Perhaps they could have heard about Him and believed without ever meeting Him in which case they would be saved anyway.
>>
>>2363756
>don't worry about the obvious and undeniable fact that Yahweh is a petty, jealous, murderous, treacherous, vainglorious and arbitrary creature, he CLAIMS that he will make you happy forever if you submit to his will and give up your soul to him.... but only AFTER you die, when it's impossible to actually judge if he's being honest this one time (hint: he isn't).
>>
>>2363763
If human beings had eternal life without being made into new creations through the Holy Spirit we would sin eternally because the human heart is wicked beyond fathoming. However we were not originally created this way it is simply the consequence of Adam's first disobedience.
>>
>>2356683

What is the Old Covenant.

What is the New Covenant.

What is the difference.

That's your answer. God didn't change; the covenants did. How God deals with people did. And you really have to know that the Old Covenant was not something God gave the Hebrews to follow; it was something God gave the Hebrews to show them they could not follow the laws of God. Only God can.
>>
>>2363767
>Jesus never lied
>John 7:8
>John 7:10

> the Pharisees were tricked by Satan

And for this "sin", God will burn them forever. Who allowed Satan to go around tricking people, again?
>>
>>2363763
>humans are finite creatures

This is a false assumption on your part, made without evidence, and completely faith based.
>>
>>2363777
>If human beings had eternal life without being made into new creations through the Holy Spirit we would sin eternally because the human heart is wicked beyond fathoming.

That's still not infinite sin you retard. If I were to sin as hard as I could from now until the end of time, that would still be a FINITE amount of sin. And since Christians believe that the world will end at some point, it follows that no human could even in theory sin infinitely. Also, remind me again who made humans as such wretched sinful beasts?

>However we were not originally created this way it is simply the consequence of Adam's first disobedience.

Who made Adam disobedient? Was it Satan? Who allowed Satan to trick Adam into disobedience?
>>
>>2363783
You go up to this feast. I am

not yet

going up to this feast, for My time has not yet fully come.” When He had said these things to them, He remained in Galilee. But when His brothers had gone up, then He also went up to the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

Want to show me the lie there sport?
>>
File: 3mLydMU.png (70KB, 243x200px) Image search: [Google]
3mLydMU.png
70KB, 243x200px
>>2363710

You think you're making me mad or hurting my feelings I suppose but honestly its just MFW.

Also
>I think differently therefore an entire field of inquiry is wrong
>>
>>2363796
Adam wasn't tricked; Eve was.

Adam chose to sin, to rebel against God. Just like you are.

I don't know why you're hung up on your sins. They were forgiven you at the cross.

You need only do 1 thing.

Believe.
>>
>>2363785
>HURR

Except that literally everything we know about humans, INCLUDING THE CLAIMS OF RELIGIONS, makes our finite nature clear. Does the Bible say we are infinite creatures? No, it says we were made out a blood clot or some dirt, neither of which are infinite.
>>
>>2363783
https://carm.org/bible-difficulties/luke-john-acts/did-jesus-lie-and-go-feast-or-not

Satan has no power on his own, when the Pharisees believed his lies it was because of their own egoism.
>>
>>2363692

There are so many awesome things in the historical records of Jonah.

He died in the fish, for one.

But you're not interested in "stories", are you.
>>
>>2363797

So when he said he wasn't going, and then went, what he MEANT was "something something MUH MYSTERIES"?
>>
>>2363803
>makes our finite nature clear.

We are not finite. These bodies are finite. We are going to live forever, you and I. Just not in these bodies.
>>
>>2363685

people would rather argue with you about scientific fact instead of seeing the truth in such a story, then they smugly nod their heads and eagerly go watch the newest Star Wars film because it is just SO scientifically accurate amirite.
>>
>>2363798

That's nice, moron.
>>
>>2363804
So we see in verse 8 that Jesus meant he was not going up to the feast "right then and there." Jesus stayed for a time in Galilee and later went up to Judea. There is no problem.

Furthermore, it is not a lie when a person decides to do one thing and then later changes his mind to do another. A lie would mean that Jesus knew He was going to do one thing but deliberately said he would not with the intention of deceiving people. This is not the case and the text doesn't support it.

Love me some Matt Slick.

But satan does have a considerable amount of power, restricted by the Holy Spirit of course. Maybe as much as Michael or Gabriel.
>>
>>2363809
>>2363820
>>
File: 1404622978100.jpg (15KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
1404622978100.jpg
15KB, 500x277px
>>2363816

Your bag of tricks is empty, a bit like your arguments
>>
File: 1486753759197.png (510KB, 813x716px) Image search: [Google]
1486753759197.png
510KB, 813x716px
>>2356683
Anyone spouting this tired cliche bullshit hasn't read those books. NT God is a vengeful being that will literally damn you to torture in the fiery pits of hell for all eternity simply for not believing something or for things completely out of your control. Old Testament God will just kill you at worst, for disobeying pretty simple rules.
>>
>>2363685

It's a true story.

Not a whale, by the way. Whales aren't fish.

The real story is that a prophet of God was told to go warn some terrorists that God was going to judge them, and instead of obeying, he fled the other way so that the terrorists would be destroyed.

Ninevah is ISIS territory. Assyrians. Terrorists.
>>
>>2363824
Yup. Same God. Only one God exists.
>>
>>2363802

Oh well Eve was tricked, so I guess that's a-okay, I mean, it only lead to the entirely of humanity being doomed to hell forever, why would god almighty care about such a trifle?

>I don't know why you're hung up on your sins.

I don't break ANY of the commandments, and never have. I don't lie, I don't steal, I don't cheat, and I don't even have any gods before Yahweh (I don't have any gods at all, but atheism isn't against any commandment). I know why you're so hung up on this "you must love your sins" nonsense, tho: It's because you, like literally every Christian I've ever spoken with, are a detestable sack of lying shit.

I used to think Christians were nice people, a little foolish perhaps but basically decent. Talking to """people""" like you has completely changed my view on your whole religion. I wonder what your god would make of that?
>>
>>2363829

Whether it's a whale or a large fish in the story is irrelevant. It just represents an unknown force that sweeps you off your feet into chaos.
>>
>>2363834
No, Eve just led to Eve being damned forever.

Had Adam refused, the history of the universe would be different.

If things were different, they would not be the same.

That's kind of obvious, no?
>>
>>2363805

On the contrary I love mythology and have several copies of the Bible. I just don't make the infantile mistake of assuming that fairy stories are for reals.
>>
>>2363812

"Going to". As in, future case. As in, no-one who died has ever sinned an infinite amount.
>>
>>2363822

As is your head, moron.
>>
>>2363840

Someone with sense in this thread, thank you sir

>inb4 someone cries samefag
>>
>>2363846

no u
>>
>>2363820
>HURR

So what you mean is, yes he lied, but you're going to twist HIS WORDS to make it seem like he didn't. Great job putting words into your gods mouth, retard.
>>
>>2363834
>I don't break ANY of the commandments, and never have.

You have never told 1 lie. Ever. (This is a lie you told me, right now by the way.)

You have never stolen anything. Not even the tithe that is your 10% to God Himself. You have never failed to give God 10% of everything you have been increased by.

You have never lusted after a human being in your heart, ever. (adulterer or fornicator, depending).

You have never called anyone a fool, ever (murder).

You have always worshiped YHWH and put no other gods (mammon) before Him. You have not placed YOURSELF above YHWH, but have always worshiped YHWH as your God.

You have never been jealous of anybody.

You have never wanted anything anyone else had.

Ever, not once.
>>
>>2363839

If things were different then yes, they'd be different. They're not different tho, are they?
>>
>>2363850

Nope. Never done any of those things.
>>
>>2363836
No, it's an animal that lives in water, and this particular one was not only made specially to accommodate Jonah, but was in place during the storm to do so. Jonah died in that fish, and was dead for three days and three nights.

Does that sound familiar to you, at all? Dead for three days and three nights?

Because Jesus, after proving to any with reason that he is the Messiah, told the pharisees that he would provide no other sign for them than the sign of Jonah.

Being buried, dead for three days and nights, and then coming back to life.

Nobody in the time this happened took this story as an allegory; in fact, the fascinating thing to me is that the pagan crew intuited that someone on board had angered the gods, and cast lots to see who it was. When the lot fell to Jonah, Jonah told them to throw him overboard, but they did not want to do so. They threw everything else overboard instead. And when it was finally obvious that they were all going to die, they reluctantly threw Jonah overboard and the storm instantly ceased.

The bible is all real. It's all true. And the sooner you understand that, the better off you'll be.
>>
>>2363857

Looks like you're Jesus and all the Saints rolled into one.
>>
>>2363840
Nor do I.

The bible contains no fairy tales.
>>
>>2363845
Yes, they have. All of them. The problem is in the language.

Sin is "missing the mark", as in an archer shooting at a target and missing it completely.

Sin in this context is not being perfect, as the Father in heaven is perfect. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

And sin causes separation; as God is Life, separation from God is death. And eternal separation from God in a lake of fire is eternal death.

Where all of the inhabitants will sin, infinitely, as none of them will ever, in an eternity, be like God. In fact, it seems their character will not change at all, but be locked in as of death.
>>
>>2363861
>The bible is all real. It's all true. And the sooner you understand that, the better off you'll be.

I do understand that, but that doesn't mean it's factual. Because it's not. I'll go all the way with you, but I don't have to interpret the stories literally as historical facts to believe them, its unnecessary and irrelevant.
>>
>>2363849

Situation 1: Jesus is going to the feast with his brothers right then and there in the open with them knowing about it.

Situation 2: Jesus is planning to let them go first, and then go some time later, in secret. I haven't researched this, but it's possible the feast is a multiple day event. Many of them were.

Show me the lie.
>>
>>2363857
Do you think God will judge you the way you judge yourself, or do you think God will judge you properly?
>>
>>2363870
You saying they're not factual and historically based has zero evidence behind it.

Just your disbelief and normalcy bias.
>>
>>2363864

You seem to take the term fairy tale as derogatory, it isn't in the slightest. Look the bible is not a historical account like Herndon's Life of Lincoln, but mythological tales of eternal truths of human experience told through dream imagery and weaving in the occasional historical personage or event. This has been done the world over and isn't limited to the Bible
>>
>>2363869
So God is punishing us, eternally, for something we can't help. That doesn't sound very just to me.
>>
>>2361858
But anon, Jesus is the fulfillment of old testament profecies
>>
>>2363878

What do you mean it has zero evidence that it's not fact? If you want to take the bible as literal fact then there is almost everything we observe in the world to show that we're not talking about factual stories. They have to be something other than historical accounts if they are to have any use to us.

Snakes don't talk, a man and his family cannot build a boat large enough to hold 2 of every land animal, people cannot walk on water, and on and on and on. I understand you want to retain the truths of the Bible, I'm with you on this, but you are approaching the issue from the wrong side.
>>
>>2363880
The sooner you figure out the bible is the only holy book on the planet, and contains no "fairy tales" of any definition, the better off you'll be.

By conflating "fairy tales" with the bible, you have lost, well, everything. Your absurd analysis of Jonah above is not only facile but useless and false.
>>
>>2363884
That's the bad news, yes. Adam sinned and condemned the entire human race to fall out of the image of God and into our own image.
>>
>>2363894
>Snakes don't talk
Can the devil talk? Is the Hebrew word for serpent here (not snake, serpent) the same word as "enchanter"? Can the devil take or form any body he chooses?

>a man and his family cannot build a boat large enough to hold 2 of every land animal
Not in 100 years? Not with sons and daughters helping? Not with a divine boatmaker providing the plans? Not with unlimited resources? Have you even looked into a feasibility study of Noah's ark? Only 20,000 different kinds of animals were required to be on the ark to provide what we see today. Not only possible. Happened.

>people cannot walk on water
Can Jesus, if Jesus is God? Can the God who made water out of nothing walk on it?

Which is harder? Making water out of nothing, or walking on water?
>>
>>2363909
Dude, the fucking boat isn't even seaworthy.
>>
>>2363916

It was. All it had to do was float, and it floated.

It was also found. In Turkey. It's a huge outline of itself on the ground. Very impressive.
>>
>>2363898

I'm sorry you feel that way. But you're just wrong anon
>>
>>2363894
http://www.viewzone.com/noahx.html

Noah's Ark.
>>
>>2363898

We've had this talk before and it always comes to this standstill of you resisting this as if you've but up a bulwark against something, and all I try to do is be clear, concise, and above all congenial
>>
>>2363935
Your position is that you are right, and the Word of God is in error.

My position is that the Word of God is right. That God is right, and all men wrong.

I'm happy to let those chips fall where they may.
>>
>>2363939
Your genealogy is full of bastards, is it not?

Oh, did you take the usage of the word "bastards" when it came to your family lineage as a pejorative?

Why how unreasonable of you. So touchy.
>>
>>2363945

I said congenial, not genealogy. Why are you being so hostile, especially to someone that is being kind hearted?
>>
>>2363939
Do any of your other mythological books predict the future, even once?

Because the bible does so hundreds of times, with 100% accuracy.

Almost as though God were involved and told the men writing the end from the beginning. Which is the bible, of course. The history of the world from beginning to end, as only God could write it.

Any of your "fairy tales" close to 100% prophetic?

No?

Yes, I'm the unreasonable one for refusing to get shaken off of the Rock that is God Almighty, to come down to your library and treat Zeus as though he were anything but a deified Adam.
>>
>>2363949
Point.

Your head.

Again.

The similarity in the words congenial and genealogy is incidental and more to the point, irrelevant.
>>
>>2363926
I don't think you know what seaworthy means. It isn't 'just floats' tons of shit 'just floats.' The problem is that it would collapse under its own weight.
Wooden ships equivalent in size do exist, but need to be supported by steel beams.
>>
>>2363951
>Because the bible does so hundreds of times, with 100% accuracy.

Give me an example. Give me a prophecy then give me a recorded event where it coincides with 100% accuracy. I'll wait.
>>
>>2363954
Read the article. >>2363938
>>
>>2363955
Jesus rode a colt into Jerusalem on Nisan 10, 32 AD, the precise day Daniel said the Messiah would appear, and be cut off (die) for the sins of the nation at the end of the week.

That prophecy was made 600 years before the fact. Jesus fulfilled it on the very day, 483 years after Artaxerxes issued a proclamation that the temple could be rebuilt.
>>
>>2363955

32 AD Jesus says the temple will be utterly destroyed, with not one stone standing upon another, and warns people living to flee when the city is surrounded. The wise ones fled.

70 AD the temple is destroyed, with not one stone standing upon another.

(The wailing wall is a retainer wall, not a wall of the temple.)
>>
>>2363951
That is so fucking wrong. The Bible couldn't even get the return of its prophet right. Jesus said he'd return while some of his disciples are still alive.
Guess what? Jesus' disciples are dead, and he still hasn't returned.

>>2363968
This is a blog with no citations. Come on.
>>
>>2363975

Since the prophecy was made 600 years before Jesus road into Jerusalem, don't you think it a little too simple that maybe anyone could have just rolled in there on that same day and made the same claim?

Also, what I meant more specifically was for you to give me an example of a prophecy in the bible and then give me a historical event that was forcasted.
>>
>>2363877

I think the idea that a god who created the entire universe would give one single shit what I do or believe is so laughable it would be pathetic if it didn't destroy so many people's lives.
>>
>>2363992
>70 AD the temple is destroyed, with not one stone standing upon another.

Historical tidbit -- the Emperor Julian "the Apostate" thought it would be amusing to tweak Christians by rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem. He had gotten as far as sending crews to the site to begin work, but he was slain in battle by an unknown assailant (nobody in the enemy army ever came forward to claim credit for the deed) and the project died with him.

Do not mock God, Emperor Julian. Just do not.
>>
>>2363992
>32 AD Jesus says the temple will be utterly destroyed, with not one stone standing upon another, and warns people living to flee when the city is surrounded. The wise ones fled.

Where did Jesus say this? Was it in the gospels? You DO realise the gospels were written AFTER 70ad, right?
>>
>>2364005
>Julian mocks god and dies some time later
>HURR GOD DID IT
>The Assyrians mock god and survive for centuries after
>HURR GOD MOVES IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS :^)
>>
File: wall of stones on top of stones.jpg (194KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wall of stones on top of stones.jpg
194KB, 1920x1080px
>>2364009
>Jesus says the temple will be utterly destroyed, with not one stone standing upon another

Yet another lie from the "son of god".

Oh but wait, it was "just a metaphor :^)"
>>
>>2364001
I think you overestimate the extent to which God has to exert himself to keep track of you. Omnipotent and omniscient, remember? God knows every single detail of every single moment in time and space, instantly and effortlessly. It's not a matter of "giving a shit," it's just another day at the office for him.
>>
>>2364745
Yet he is unable to make desert cucks listen to him. Making him go on a full psychotic genocidal rampage like a toddler who didn't get his toy.
>>
>>2363702

The fuck it wasn't.
>>
You do know about the christian belief in gehenna right?
How is the creation of an eternal place of torture which the christian god allows his creation to send themselves to the act of 'the kindest most merciful being you could ever imagine'? I don't have any problem with a finite punishment though since I believe that the perfect judge, which is God, needs to punish sins and uphold justice.
And about the 'tests', God challenges our faith in order to give meaning to our faith since otherwise it would be meaningless. Ask the people who were killed by God's command whether they thought it would be kinder for them to end up in sheol or in gehenna? I think the answer is obvious.
>>
>>2356683
You make the assumption that God ( is all knowing, all seeing, and knew the outcome of the test before doing it. Maybe he was just bullshitting and acting like he knew what the outcome was, but was completely blindsided by the results in reality?
>>
>>2366348
>needs to punish sins and uphold justice

Where is there evidence that God does either of those, outside of scripture? Jesus died for our sins, meaning our sins go to Jesus. Your next incarnation may bear the consequences of the sin, but in life you should not let your sins weight upon you."Fire and brimstone and eternal fire" was simply meant to incentivize people to do good by others, much like the Gautama's Middle Path was meant to serve as a guide. You may stray from the path, but you must also accept the consequences of your actions.

Sadly the Roman Catholic church bastardized this and used it as a way to rule over people. Become a Quaker if you truly wish to follow the path of Jesus, as Quakerism is a worship of the light of Wisdom in all humans, while Christianity is a worship of the figure of Christ.
>>
>>2356683
What people don't realize is that every "tantrum" YHWH has is preceded by a warning (most of the times multiple warnings) to both the parties committing and the parties affected.

People tend to miss this because they
a.) don't actually read the bible and depend on hearsay
b.) the impact of the punishment overshadowing the essence of the preceding warnings.
c.) "God moves in mysterious ways"
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.