[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Japan and Japanese culture attract to Westerners and be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 38

Why is Japan and Japanese culture attract to Westerners and be seen in a more positive light compared to its neighbors like Korea and China?
>>
sea empire, probably.
>>
>>2351564
Cooler. Less poverty and autism.
>>
>>2351564
anime
>>
>>2351587
/thread
>>
less shit
>>
>>2351564
sexy women
>>
Quality of scholarship and translation.

Japan being the most powerful East Asian country was a subject of intense scholarship by the West, and the government along with Japanese academics were able enough to to help the West understand and appreciate Japanese culture.

Korea and China were weak and such they were studied by the West like pets at a zoo, there was no real Korean/Chinese government to help, and any academics were far flung and likely uncooperative
>>
Sony Playstation, Anime, Weeb games
>>
People never mention the power of names and pronounceability. Aside from the meiji restoration, which just shows how smooth korea and china's transition could have been had they had the right attitude at the right time, the japanese language, by chance or design, is probably the easiest language for europeans to romanize and pronounce.
>>
Japan intentionally remodeled their country in the image of the west under emperor Meiji and again in the reconstruction after world war 2. Today they are a liberal and wealthy democracy with lots of soft power. China has a repressive government and widespread poverty, and south Korea did too until recently.
>>
>>2351648
whats changed in korea?
>>
>>2351643
>how smooth china's transition could have been

Maybe if japan didnt invade over and over

and for korea it wasnt even seen as its own entity, just a japanese colony. So I don't know what you're on about
>>
Japan is fairly foreigner friendly, and the people are much more nice/likable in comparison to Koreans and especially the Chinese.
>>
>>2351689
>Japan is fairly foreigner friendly

Only if you're a tourist and don't live there.
>>
>>2351661
Moon cults instead of military strongmen.
>>
>>2351564
The Chinese emperors were to proud. Instead of trading and conversing with the intruders they tried to kick them out with their outdated ancient warfare. (Boxer Rebellion) and failed miserably. Soon after the reblllion the British started er and overwhelmed the country with Opium.
The Japanese took notice of how the western countries overwhelmed China and tried to rid themselves from Opium from the very beginning the British tried to imply their tactics.
All in all the Japanese learned from the mistakes of the Chinese and started the war against the western countries a lot different.
Japan was also terribly affected by the western countries that's why they joined WW2. Their main objective was to kick the white devils out of their country and of course also widen their territory.
Well Korea was a shithole. Korea was a satellite state of China and Japan. Nothing much there the temples were build by Chinese. So not much to say about their politics.
>>
>>2351698
>debito arudou

kek is this real life
>>
>>2351673
I originally had a "potential" thrown in that sentence, but must have edited it out by accident. There was no way china could have had its own meiji restoration, since it was first up on the chopping block, and the meiji restoration was reactionary. The point though, was that tradition could be reconciled peacefully with westernization, as long as it came from within and happened before european powers got too impatient.
>>
>>2351706
thanks mao tse tung
>>
>>2351698
おはようございます出人さん.
>>
>>2351706
Those girls need a surprise while squatting over ;)
>>
>>2351700
whats going on with that
>>
>>2351706
Mainland chinese should be exterminated tbqh
>>
>>2351713
??? This is no productive answer.
Hello to you to dude.

>>2351706
They shited on the streets back then because they had open canalizations flowing through their cities. So they basically shitted in a open air nonstop flowing toilette.
Were do you think European to a shit?
In Europe it was common practice to throw your shit and carnage on the street next to your drinking whell. Lol just saying Lol
Lol lol lol
>>
>>2351698

I do live there, and if you speak Japanese you're fine. The problem comes from people who don't live there giving long term residents a bad name.
>>
>>2351698
>fucking Debito
You dumb faggot.
>>
>>2351750
There are many types of Chinese. There are so called hab ppl and the rest are Barbarians. You can see who is a noble "han" and who is a barbarian. Those that look more refined and have a European touch are Han. The stereotypical Chinese red dude are barbarians.
>>
>>2351757
They shit on the streets in China because peasant culture was put a pedestal in the cultural revolution. I wouldn't be surprised if it was seen as "capitalist" to use a toilet or some shit. Now the peasants are richer than theyve ever been and are able to travel to cities to work while bringing their peasant mindset with them.
>>
>>2351698
based debito exposing racist, nationalist and prejudiced japanese
>>
>>2351698
This, Japan is extremely racist and xenophobic, the average Japanese would make Trump seem like a liberal. They are also very anti-immigrant and because of the low number of foreigners living there, there are no minority lobby groups like NAACP like there is in the USA.
>>
>>2351776
Agreed.
Those peasants are Barbarians.
I met some of them just 3 months ago working on my aunts Plantage.
These savages come from very poor countries sides and mountains. They were talking to me about frying their watch dogs and stuff srsly disgusting.
>>
>>2351776

Would you say they are the ones with money? They come here to Japan all the time and are fucking obnoxious. They are like hordes that block everything and leave trash around. For some reason they come here to buy medicine and appliances.
>>
>>2351564
inherent superiority to other asian cultures, much like england is to europe.
>>
>>2351800
Yes, because even after the CR many of them remained close to the party and benefited the most from China's opening (economically) to the world.

The nouveau riche in China are almost all from such backgrounds, which is why they go overseas and crash ferraris and desecrate Egyptian archaeology and such.
>>
>>2351813

So they act like barbarians overseas, what's the difference between them and the ones who don't leave?
>>
>>2351820
The ones who aren't rich enough to leave but arent poor enough to be hukou workers (basically peasants from the country side given a 'visa' to work in the city) are probably the most 'normal' citizens of china. This is mostly along the eastern seaboard though.

Alot of china is a shithole, I read a story about some peasants who snuck into a zoo and ended up sneaking into the tiger pen. The animal handlers lured the tigers away with meat, but the stupid peasant went back to get his mobile phone and then ended up getting attacked and killed.

It'll take a hundred years at least to civilize the vast majority of china.
>>
File: Shanghai1920s.jpg (102KB, 800x572px) Image search: [Google]
Shanghai1920s.jpg
102KB, 800x572px
China went from one of the greatest countries in the world to one of the worsts. Don't act like you don't know.
>>
>>2351787
You're aware that Debito is a retard who explicitly goes out of his way to find the rare "no foreigners" onsens or whatever so he can throw shitfits about racism right? Funny thing is he doesn't even live in Japan anymore. He lives in Hawaii doing copywriting and editing. Fucking hilarious, he went to Cornell so he could do some Z-grade translations.
>>
>>2351787
based
>>
File: 1472986483840.jpg (547KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1472986483840.jpg
547KB, 1600x1066px
>>2351808
France and Germany+Austria have contributed just as much to humanity as the British Isles
The rest of Europe have contributed heaps as well
>inb4 arseblasted yurocuck
I'm of English ancestry
>>
Japan is the most western-friendly culture in East Asia.
>>
>>2351564

Japan has somehow managed to strike a balance between welcoming Western ideals and keeping their traditional roots, hence appealing very much to the West.

China doesn't seem to be able to do this and either completely westernize (such as Chinese who migrates to the west), stay completely traditional or just fuck their own shit up in an effort to create a new society (Communism). Korea seems kinda cool, but having started the modern era as a colony of Japan and a protectorate of the USA, doesn't give it much of a chance to develop its own culture, or even identity.
>>
>>2351808
t. lindy
>>
File: 1486745559957.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486745559957.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>2351564
Because Japan is not a literal shithole.
>>
>>2351870

What the fuck? Why would she stay? Why did a stranger hand her a plastic bag and why did she not give a fuck about it.

Whaaaat the fuck china
>>
File: 11korea600.jpg (109KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
11korea600.jpg
109KB, 600x360px
>>2351564
>Korea
History mostly comprised of getting raided
Almost all historical sites were destroyed during the war and by an old man
No anime
>China
You fucking know why
>>
>>2351787
wtf i love japan now.
>>
>>2351698
>>2351777
>>2351787
I guess they have one of the lowest crime rates in the world for a reason... And one of the highest average IQs as well.
>>
>>2351698
>debito
>>
>>2351967
Yes, racial purity is the key to any successful country. I suggest we move to Africa or the middle east, so we can get a taste of their wonderful low crime rates and high IQs.
>>
>>2351967
They're fucking with you. Nobody cares about you waito piggu as long as you aren't causing a nuisance and disturbing the 和.
>>
>>2351980
Yes, Switzerland is an excellent place to live.
Iceland is nice too.
>>
>>2351564
Anime.
>>
>>2351855
>Three of the most influential europoor countries
>only measure up to one Anglo country
>>
>>2351564
For perfect Japanese girls
>>
>>2351980
Well it's true, you just need to give them some time to evolve first.
>>
>>2351706
Peasants shit in the fields, so when peasants move to urban areas they shit in the streets. This is nothing unique to China, there are plenty of records in Europe of peasants moving to the industrializing cities and shitting in the streets or even on the factory floor
>>
>>2351838
Well you can't have dozens and dozens of millions die off in your borders and not come out unscathed
>>
>>2352036
Circa 2000 or 1800?
>>
>>2351564
Jav (Japanese Action Videos) ?
>>
>>2351564
The Japanese have kept a relatively unique culture for a long time since they barely ever lost in history due to being on a tough to reach island. Only when the atomic bombs were dropped that Japan legit ever lost.
>>
>>2351564
>Why is Japan and Japanese culture attract to Westerners and be seen in a more positive light compared to its neighbors like Korea and China?
Because back then it was exotic as fuck. China has been known by westerners since the 1500s, considering that the Chinks didn't boot out Catholic Missionaries like Japs did up until the mid 1700s- and even then Jesuits and Merchants were still allowed.

Korea downright didn't allow any foreign cunt in to begin with but its Sinophilia meant it was just a shitty imitation of the Chink Empire.

Also if you're paying attention, Japan-craze is beginning to be mainstream while K-shit is the new hotness so there you have it.

>>2351612
>Korea and China were weak and such they were studied by the West like pets at a zoo, there was no real Korean/Chinese government to help, and any academics were far flung and likely uncooperative
Formal Scholarship of China began in the 1500s and 1600s, back when White Bois were still in awe of the fucking place and the Ming and Qing kept pet Jesuits in court.
>>
>>2351587
this.
>>
>>2351564
Democratic, Diligent, Rich, Friendly (after WWII), and for me Xenophobic and Anti-foreign.
Anime is a nice bonus.
>>
>>2351587
many Korean and even Chinese(Taiwanese animation resembles Japanese animation/art styles as well

I assure you, if I didn't tell you anything, most of you would think this was from some anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhq5dE6XJ9o

Also on a side note, Taiwan does share a lot of cultural similarities with Japan, the first democratic president even being a veteran of the Imperial Army
>>
>>2352314
>I love them because they hate me.
>>
>>2352319
They don't hate me. Because I don't want to move in Japan. Even xenophobic people usually don't hate foreigners so long as the foreigners stay in their own land.
>>
>>2352323
You said Xenophobic and Anti-Foreign.
>>
Japan is a island.
That's all.
>>
>>2351698
Just looked this guy up. He got assmad for not being allowed in a bathhouse kek.
>>
>>2351698
Tbh the Japanese are funny when they're racist
>>
Before the mid 19th century Europeans were chinaboo for Chinese porcelain, fashion, architect and art

After the century of rape in China western eyes moved onto Japan the comparatively stronger and more westernized country in Asia and its been that way ever since
>>
because China is seen as the bug communist baby killing bogeyman and Korea is a literal who? of a country that's only famous for the North/South divide
>>
>>2351967
The only reason their crime rates are so low is because the police there don't give a fuck. Obvious murders being concluded as suicides and closing the case etc. Seriously, look it up. Don't bother going to the cops if something happens to you there.
>>
>>2351564
its the other way around
as much as they hate to admit it to foreigners japs are huge westernboos
>>
>>2351564
for sweet jap pussy
>>
>>2352904
Jap boys btfo
>>
File: bHS0Cnr.jpg (46KB, 529x464px) Image search: [Google]
bHS0Cnr.jpg
46KB, 529x464px
>>2351564
>>
>>2352924
Jealous of that girl.
>>
>>2352924
Me on the left.
>>
>>2352904
That whitey has a dark dick

Must be italian
>>
>>2352924
me on the right
>>
>>2351698
hwaito piggu go homu
>>
>>2351648
South Korea is still poor as fuck.

They have a high GDP but a lot of the country is a fucking mess. Many people think Seoul = All of South Korea but it's really not.
>>
>>2351698
Japan is just like any other nation, people don't like it if you move there and can't speak the language or bother to get involved in their way of life.

Also only the older generation is racist. Young Japanese people don't give a shit.
>>
So what are some tips for an American visiting Japan? How do I not come across as a huge dickhead? Will people just be flat out racist to me or will basic etiquette carry me?
>>
>>2353359
act like chad
>>
>>2353359
Make an attempt to speak their language, even if it's just little phrases like please and thank you.

Do this in all foreign countries anyway, it's just courtesy and it goes a long way.
>>
>>2353380
Thanks. If I don't feel comfortable trying to fully converse in Japanese due to a lack of knowledge of the language, I'll be sure to at least stick to greetings and thanks in the native language.
>>
File: 2012-09-22 10.52.22.jpg (337KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2012-09-22 10.52.22.jpg
337KB, 1600x1200px
>>2353359
don't dress like pic related, really stand out "Im tourist", assimilate
>>
File: 2b6.jpg (197KB, 694x595px) Image search: [Google]
2b6.jpg
197KB, 694x595px
>>2352924
>>
>>2353400
They won't expect you to speak Japanese (in fact, a lot of them are very surprised to see a fluent foreigner)

But yeah if you just learn phrases for pleade and thank you it's fine. Also things like taxi, train, beer, toilet etc. It will really help you out. The big cities like Tokyo are fine for English but in smaller places you will find that those phrases are valuable.
>>
>>2352317
They don't resemble Japanese anime, they are copied from anime.

Resemblance isn't out of thin air, if you're wondering how chinese/korean animation/art is similar.
>>
>>2352317
That's like some bastard child of japanese animation and western shit. Those old people look straight out of The Boondocks.

Also, the animation is super simplistic and has a rather low framerate. They're trying to make up for the moments of halfway decent stuff at the end by using stills and pans for the whole rest of the thing.
>>
>>2353409
There's nothing wrong with looking like a tourist, the problem is in how you treat people.
>>
>>2353409
Why the fuck can't people just put on some fucking jeans and a t-shirt
>>
>>2351564
Korea and China takes its culture and puts it on a pedestal, makes a statue out of it or puts it in a glass case in a museum. Japan however has a different approach dating back to the Meiji restoration's philosophy of preserving traditions while modernizing, in Japan Japanese culture just "is", it is still a part of everyday life, people still want to participate in festivals and go to bath houses, they want to have a tea ceremony, use old recipes and eat pastries they used to have as a kid, they want to go to the park to see the cherry blossoms, they want to wear kimonos and so forth.
>>
>>2351661
Christianity kicked in
>>
>>2351564
>Manga, Anime
>>
File: bashford dean.jpg (230KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
bashford dean.jpg
230KB, 640x458px
>>2351587
Japanese orientalism didn't start with anime
>>
>>2351904
To wipe her hands or something idk
>>
>>2351587
This
>>
>>2355742

Yeah their armor is transformers-tier.
>>
>>2351564
I have a theory. Both Europe and North East Asia are on other sides of the Eurasian continent. Both developed largely temperate forest. Both are light skinned.

North East Asians and Europeans are literally friendly rivals to one another. That's why China knew Rome as the "china of the West."
>>
>>2352257
China knew about Rome and Rome knew about China.
>>
>>2355742
>not wearing Tosei Gosoku style

What is this the nambokucho era?
>>
Test
>>
>>2352317
shit looks like wakfu/boondocks
you can tell right away it's not japanese
>>
It gets to stay as is

They get all this heat and hate for barely letting non-Japanese gain citizenship, but as a result their heritage and culture is fantastically preserved.
>>
File: 140537152697595.jpg (55KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
140537152697595.jpg
55KB, 720x960px
>>2351564
>tfw you will never have a cute Japanese girlfriend
>>
>>2354232
How much has christianity affected Korea? I don't think it's played a significant part in modern Korean identity or politics, if at all.
>>
>>2356463
ayy
>>
File: 1466265211069.png (268KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466265211069.png
268KB, 750x750px
>>2356463
She´s a goddess
>>
>>2351564
It's much more westernized. (Well, and >>2351587 which is actually a side-effect of that.) Japs probably have more in common with westerners, in terms of world outlook, than any other non-white nation (and I mean that term in the least /pol/ way possible).

Though the other two are catching up.
>>
>>2356889
?
She looks like a sow on its hindlegs. Yuck.
>>
>>2356463
Not with that attitude you won't, no.
>>
>>2351673
Fuck off. Japan first attacked China in 1894. China had 52 years to reform since the end of the Opium War (1839-1842). China not getting their shit together in those 52 years is not Japan's fault.
>>
>>2351855
cuck.
>>
File: Sae-pulls-a-truck.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Sae-pulls-a-truck.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>2356463
It hurts every day.
>>
Please come to Japan gaijin-san and give us many babies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qFpMqe5znM
>>
>>2351564
Actually people loved Chinese culture during the 18th century with the Chinoiserie. So until WW2, scholarship on China was bigger and more in depth than scholarship on Japan. US scholarship on Japan jumped with WW2 and the Occupation (1941-1952). Combine that with the Communists taking over China in 1949 (and keeping Westerners out until the 1970s), you have a flip in Western interest in Asia. So before 1950: China > Japan. After 1950: Japan > China.

In terms of importance or influence, Korea simply doesn't match China or Japan because of its size (geographic, economic, population).
>>
>>2357219
Nope, Japanese culture was already heavily cited in the works of Western artist in the late 19th century. One could make a point that traditional Japanese architecture even influenced modern architecture quite a bit.
>>
>>2357247
You're right that in the late 19th century you get Japonisme and there's this burst of interest in Japan.

But the number of Western residents in China simply dwarfs the number of Western residents in Japan in the prewar era (more so if you include Russians as Westerners). And actual Western scholarship on Japan can only restart after 1859, while scholarship on China had been going on uninterrupted since the Jesuits arrived in the 1500s.

Also in terms of trade, you have to wait until the 1920s before Japan overtakes China in terms of importance. (And then of course you have the Great Depression and WW2). You can go read this paper for more on global trade shares. http://spot.colorado.edu/~shiue/Keller_Li_Shiue.pdf Pg 19 Table 3.

Quantifying cultural impact is hard, but I still stand by my statement above.
>>
>>2351564
It's different.
>>
>>2353359
there's bloggers on youtube who answer questions like this

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=japan+travel+tips

somewhere in here
>>
>>2357247
In the 19th Century. But Anon is still right.

There's a reason why you Jap names for Historical figures while the western Scholarship of Chinkdom goes way back, you use the Latinizations Jesuits popularized (i.e. Confucius, Mencius, Mandarins, etc)
>>
File: 1445747070049.jpg (46KB, 334x400px) Image search: [Google]
1445747070049.jpg
46KB, 334x400px
>>2351808
>t. pure autism
>>
>>2354022
t. has never gone for hours in economy class.
>>
>>2353324
This is the most retarded answer I've seen in this thread so far. How the hell does high GDP translate to 'poor as fuck'?
>>
>>2353409
I think that carrying around multiple suitcases and a backpack will make you look like a tourist regardless of what you wear.
>>
>>2351564
Japs weren't poisoned by elitist gommunism.
>>
>>2353359
>Will people just be flat out racist to me or will basic etiquette carry me?
You've spent too much time on 4chan. There are tons of tourists in Japan, they don't care about you enough to be racist. In fact compared to the Chinese tourists you'll seem like a saint.
>>
>>2357817
Yeah, they're ran by actual cabals of elites instead and ex-noble families.
>>
Everyone thought China was the best in the 18th century and earlier. Everyone copied their art and their gardens and their clothes and so on, while Japan barely existed as far as the world was concerned. Then the 19th century happened, China turned into a shithole and Chinese immigrants became what Mexicans are today, so that China was no longer romanticised and was even actively hated due to Yellow Peril bullshit and to justify Western colonial/economic interests. The West still wanted an oriental weeaboo outlet though, so when Japan opened its doors and was all nice and pristine and modernizing they immediately took China's earlier position. Chinoisoire became Japonisme, and as Japan continued to modernise and even compete with the West its cultural appeal continued to grow, while China turned into a warlord infested dump. Even WW2 made them look honorabre and somehow managed to make them look like tragic victims of Fascism, in contrast to the Chinese who since the Opium Wars seemed pathetic and backwards. Then China went Communist and even after recovering from Mao's bullshit remained a souless, grey, polluted human ant colony, while Japan went and built a media empire of video games, anime, films, technology, music, etc, all loved in the West and around the world. China (and the least Chinese part of China) produced some martial arts movies and that's basically all anyone knows.

Basically, however superior China used to be in terms of culture and society, in the 19th century they went backwards and continued to do everything wrong for the next two centuries, while Japan went in the exact opposite direction and did everything right, even when they were wrong.

Korea is just nothing. I feel bad for them because they're really just another mediocre country like any other, but they're stuck between two cultural giants who they're constantly compared to. Still beats Vietnam though.
>>
>>2351698
The older Japanese have a fairly understandable reason to be a little salty to whites though, regardless of if it was justified or not they did get nuked twice, that'd put me off being friends with the group that nuked me too.
>>
>>2357218
>culturally enriched
>>
>>2353324
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The countryside might not be as developed as Seoul and Busan but its not poor by any objective measurements.
t. Korean
>>
Because Japan is fundamentally different to continental pacific asia, no matter how much desperate asian "americans" want to pretend the entire region is uniform so they can claim Jap history as their own.

Case in point: The feudal system of Japan resonated with Europeans because it reminded them of the feudal system of medieval europe, with clearly roughly analogous ideas like bushido (chivalry).

Whereas Chinkland and Gookland were literally run by a giant army of autistic bureaucrats.
>>
>>2351689
This really is a huge reason.

I don't know a single person who has spent extensive time in Japan who didn't come out with overall positive impressions of the place. Only ones who don't are the ones dumb enough to marry and have kids with the natives (libtards basically).
>>
>>2352257
>while K-shit is the new hotness so there you have it.

Every attempt at K-pop trying to sell itself in western markets has been a commercial failure. Don't let the odd autistic koreaphile girl kid you.
>>
>>2357219
Chinoiserie was a fad, and it was a motif of Chinese culture heavily Europeanized. It's like calling "lolita fashion" European.
>>
>>2357859
>Everyone copied their art and their gardens and their clothes and so on

This is complete horseshit.

Europe has its own gardening traditions, the influences of Chinese things were never more than a fad.
>>
>>2351564
Japan hath anime
>>
>>2351587
>>2351633
>>2351993
>>2352314
>>2355732
>>2359735

Literally this
>>
File: The First Weeaboo.jpg (107KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
The First Weeaboo.jpg
107KB, 768x960px
>>2355742
>>
File: Angel.gif (160KB, 388x281px) Image search: [Google]
Angel.gif
160KB, 388x281px
>>2351587
+1
>>
>>2351843
The University of Hawaii is the center for american scholarship on Japan, why would he not be there?
>>
Korea has been a shithole for the vast majority of its history
China is a huge fat mistake
Japan handled westernization perfectly and quickly became a modern country
>>
>>2361740
This is where mystery lies. Why did Japan westernize itself so quickly? Was it that the emperor was a westaboo and people were obedient?
>>
>>2361820
Small island nation with infrastructure in place, and a decently educated populace.
>>
>>2361820
High literacy
>>
East Asian people were more or less well educated in terms of literacy. But they had poor knowledge of natural science. And, was good education enough to change people's insular mindset? Like they changed from feudal era into constitutional democratic country in an instant.
>>
>>2359730
The English Landscape garden is directly inspired by the Chinese garden.
>>
>>2362265
Partially, most of its influence came from landscape paintings and classical art.

Are rotundas and nymphaeums Chinese?

There was a chink on Quora the other day trying to argue that fucking baroque architecture and art was Chinese in origin. So many 5RMB shills.
>>
>>2362280
>Quora

I don't know why there are so many chinks on that site.
>>
>>2362304
The entire fucking thing is like an outpost of PRC propaganda/Chinese Nationalism. Some chink the other day was repeating the old "pasta comes from marco polo stealing noodles" nonsense.
>>
>>2351564
They have a serious belief in honor where as western culture is a degenerate hedonistic free for all.
>>
>>2351587
Animu is not japanese culture its japanese cartoons, the real culture is all the pretty temples and shit like samurais and ninjas which are so cool.
>>
>>2351564
Naturalistic (shinto)
Rich (and has been for a long time)
Warrior (bushido tradition, their ww1-2 empire)
Artistic (haiku, ukyoe, comics and music)
Exclusive (hates outsiders and foreigners, island itself is 99% its culture and ethnicity)

Its like the cool kids club of cultures
>>
File: 1460345102209.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460345102209.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
As a daywalker burger weeb I find them interesting in how:

>They took nationality from the west to industrialize.
>We bombed some of the fanaticism out of them.
>We built them back up, first with New Deal Policy, then conservative values because fuck their commie neighbors.
>Our culture gets mixed into theirs, so there's alot of media that feels like halfway between a ripoff and original in alot of areas. See alot of Jazz, Samurai and Cowboys, their concept of the HikiNEET becoming a worldwide phenomenon.
>Their economy committing Sudoku in the 1990s becoming the go to guide for the 2008 recession.

Also Hideaki Anno might have sold out, but He's still right about nerds everywhere. It's only a matter of time before Disney, Marvel, and DC start employing omnipandering like your average anime.
>>
>>2364891

Baka anon desu
>>
File: Japonisme_van_gogh_echantillon.jpg (903KB, 1500x650px) Image search: [Google]
Japonisme_van_gogh_echantillon.jpg
903KB, 1500x650px
>>2351587
Explain this
>>
File: nigga-you-gay_nt.png (777KB, 1131x623px) Image search: [Google]
nigga-you-gay_nt.png
777KB, 1131x623px
>>2357046
>>
>>2364891
>>he's right about nerds
How so?
>>
>>2351564
Childhood is liking China
Teenage years are liking Japan
Adulthood is liking Korea
Old Age is realizing that Vietnam has the best hookers
>>
>>2351870
kek at the ending
>>
File: 1440468201559.jpg (38KB, 616x630px) Image search: [Google]
1440468201559.jpg
38KB, 616x630px
>>2352317
Watch more anime
>>
File: ee5.gif (746KB, 666x514px) Image search: [Google]
ee5.gif
746KB, 666x514px
>>2357205
>s-she's fast
>>
>>2353989
the boondocks was drawn by koreans
>>
>>2356464
what?
christianity is the largest religion and lots of famous people like celebrities and idols are christian
>>
File: 1432710012155.jpg (112KB, 903x828px) Image search: [Google]
1432710012155.jpg
112KB, 903x828px
>>2365879
>best hookers

It better be ladybois son
>>
File: hqdefault (47).jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (47).jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>2364891
>It's only a matter of time before Disney, Marvel, and DC start employing omnipandering like your average anime.

Ummm... I'm not even a huge otaku or anything, and I agree most of it is pandering tripe, but...

http://watchanimesonline.io/watch-episode/tokyo-ghoul-ep-12.html

Do me a favor, take 20 minutes out of your day and watch that. No, you don't really need the set up as to what's going on, just sit down, and watch this, start to finish.

Then come back and tell me that anime is somehow more omnipandering than Disney/Marvel/DC - you know, the guys who pretty much invented omnipandering, insomuch as it's even a word.
>>
>>2355827
it's almost like transformers was based off of japanese mecha anime
>>
>>2365941
>that picture

Why do Japs can openly showing their disdain for niggers but white people can't?
>>
>>2365971
cause the japs only make fun of them and dont let them immigrate, whereas white folks purposefully brought them into their countries because free labor and such
>>
>>2351564
it's aesthetic as fuck
There was a period in the mid-19th century after Japan's borders were opened when Americans and Europoeans were obsessed with Japan shit
>>
>>2351564
>Korea and China
Very uncivilized people.
>>
>>2365941

You misunderstand, I'm talking about how the nips pander to niches and fetishes.

Western properties cover a range of interests with a wide brush, but Japs are more like buckshot, appealing to a wide variety of fetishes and archetypes, yet still focusing on each tokenized niche.
>>
>>2365878
/r9k/ reads like bad EVA fanfiction
>>
>>2351564
otaku
>>
>>2351564
4chan
>>
>>2365971
This sort of thing was perfectly acceptable in the West during the same period.
>>
>>2365961
>it's almost like Transformers were a japanese anime
FTFY
>>
>>2365861
Gomenasai, my name is Vincent-Sama.
>>
File: 1458729847952.png (170KB, 403x393px) Image search: [Google]
1458729847952.png
170KB, 403x393px
>>2365941
>this entire fucking post
Am I on 4chan or facebook, I can't even tell anymore.
>>
File: 1429085714204.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
1429085714204.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>2367052
>>
File: 1405371526975958.jpg (207KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1405371526975958.jpg
207KB, 1280x720px
*Block your path
>>
>>2351564
japan decided to be imperialist
>>
>>2359710
>Every attempt at K-pop trying to sell itself in western markets has been a commercial failure. Don't let the odd autistic koreaphile girl kid you.
Brah, I live in Southeast Asia. We were the first weeabs.

When anything japanese was still suffering from WWII fallout / Made-in-Japan Quality disdaining, Anime was popular here. That was the 60s and look at Animoo now.

And guess what, Koreashit is popular here and is threatening Weeabfaggotry. Just really waiting the decades out for it to be popular over there.
>>
>>2370651
Southeast Asia isn't the west.
>>
>>2351701
The boxer rebellion wasn't the chinese government, but a woefully incompetent empress handling a rebellion horribly and repeatedly bet on the wrong horse.
>>
>>2352009
Anglos are literally europoor rape babies, europoor celts getting raped by europoor romans, whose rape babes got raped by jutes, angles and saxons, whose rape babies got raped by vikings, whose rape babies got raped by normans who thenselves were viking/frank rape babies. All of them europoors. Even your language bears marks of all the rape.
>>
>>2351587
Literally this
>>
>>2371239
That's an awful lot of rape, which is fitting for the thread that is discussing anime a little bit.
>>
>>2359698
>>bitching about white people mixing with asians and calling them libtards.
/pol/ I say this as someone who actually kind of likes your brand of insanity in small to moderate doses, this is not a fight you will win.
>>
>>2353359
Japs are really fucking polite. Even if they hate you and think you're a dirty foreigner it's unlikely they'll actually say anything.
>>
How to get a Jap wife?
>>
>>2371314
>>how to get any sort of wife
>>asking this question on a chan board
Dude...
>>
>>2371306
>love conquers everything!
>culture gaps mean nothing and can easily be bridged

Not even him but KYS
>>
>>2371357
Yeah well I hate to break it to you but it's a lot more likely that the person I responded to was yet another /pol/lack ranting about race mixing.

>love conquers everything!
I never said this.

>culture gaps mean nothing and can easily be bridged
I never said this either, although I do agree with the latter part of said statement. However there is not some massive difference between modern western culture and modern japanese culture. The differences are not as great as you think.
>>
>>2371390
I am willing to bet this faggot can't even speak a non-western language.

>However there is not some massive difference between modern western culture and modern japanese culture.

You are seriously fucking stupid. Have you spent any time in Japan?

I'll pick just one example of the huge difference for you:

Sexless marriages, post-partum, are incredibly common in Japan and widely accepted. They are not considered grounds for unhappiness/divorce by either the wife or husband.
>>
>>2351564

1) Cold War Geopolitics and 2) Getting totally occupied by a Western Country tend to make you more Westernised and liked 3) Cultural Revolution, Tiananmen Square and Japan is not exactly trying to contest America's spot for World Superpower ATM (Thats why all the Americans here really dislike China, as they would with Japan if it was the 80s)
>>
>>2371406
>Thats why all the Americans here really dislike China, as they would with Japan if it was the 80s

No, Japs might be arrogant people. But at least they are not insufferable cunts like the chinks
>>
>>2371403
Yeah dude I've heard about that before, it has a lot to do with the work culture over there. However why in the fuck do you think sexless marriages being common is in some way unique to japan in comparison to western nations?
>>
>>2371424
>However why in the fuck do you think sexless marriages being common is in some way unique to japan in comparison to western nations?

Because it is accepted as normality over there - that's the difference. Not to mention their attitudes towards women, work-life balance, even sense of humor, is completely different.

Are you some sort of gook? Or just a faggot who can't get a white girl?

Seriously just fuck off. "International Marriages" in Japan have huge divorce rates.
>>
>>2351587
This. You're a fool if you think China wasn't the king of eastern culture before kawai desu cartoons.
>>
>>2371432
>>Because it is accepted as normality over there
Yeah really? I got news for you, it's becoming increasingly accepted over here too.

>>Not to mention their attitudes towards women, work-life balance, even sense of humor, is completely different.
Yeah well none of these things are impossible gaps to cross, nor are they really all that difficult even.

>>Are you some sort of gook? Or just a faggot who can't get a white girl?
Oh look insults. Maybe some white men just like asian girls? Maybe some white women just like asian guys? Maybe this sort of rhetoric works for pavement chimps but doesn't work for people who can actually be reasoned with?

>>Seriously just fuck off.
You first faggot.

>>"International Marriages" in Japan have huge divorce rates.
And "international marriages" does not mean western nations specifically so therefore you are basically acting like a bloviating retard who disapproves of who other people chose to associate with for really dumb reasons.
>>
>>2371444
>Yeah really? I got news for you, it's becoming increasingly accepted over here too.

Source please.

>Yeah well none of these things are impossible gaps to cross, nor are they really all that difficult even.

Yes they are. I've dated Asian girls, you haven't. It encompasses everything, it even reflects in someone's body language.

You are a nauseating retard who probably believes that "WE R ALL DA SAME RLLY UNDER DA SKIN!"

Go and live in KSA or the PRC for a few years and tell me that.

>Maybe some white women just like asian guys?

Yeah, mentally ill ones (weebs) or gold diggers.

>And "international marriages" does not mean western nations specifically

You're claiming it's significantly lower for western nations specifically then? Any proof of this?
>>
>>2371499
>>I've had some bad experiences so therefore white people cannot have successful marriages with asians
>>I insult people because I have no effective arguments.
>>I think the only white women who go for asian dudes are mentally ill or gold diggers because memes

>>You're claiming it's significantly lower for western nations specifically then? Any proof of this?
Honestly? I haven't spent a massive amount of time researching this, but the single biggest "foreign" group in Japan are koreans, that's also where most mixed race marriages happen, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's where most of the divorces happened as well.
>>
File: table4racistwomen.jpg (95KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
table4racistwomen.jpg
95KB, 500x277px
>>2371569
>I think the only white women who go for asian dudes are mentally ill or gold diggers because memes

That's not a meme, it's a fact.

Asian men are ranked as the least attractive men by white women (see table). Ask yourself if you've ever met a white woman who liked Asian men who wasn't a weeaboo/koreaboo.

>that's also where most mixed race marriages happen

Those aren't counted as international marriages.

>I insult people because I have no effective arguments.

Your "argument" is that white and east asian people are basically the same and the cultural differences are minimal.

Take a moment to reflect on how completely fucking naive and stupid this is.

Do you think Northern Europeans and Gulf Arabs are also the same? How about Slavs and Indians?
>>
>>2371578
>>That's not a meme, it's a fact.
Lemme guess, this is one of those polls that uses data from online dating sites? Yeah those aren't accurate.

>>Those aren't counted as international marriages.
They do if they're from Korea.

>>Your "argument" is that white and east asian people are basically the same and the cultural differences are minimal.
No. I said:

>>However there is not some massive difference between modern western culture and modern japanese culture. The differences are not as great as you think.

This is true and it does not mean that I think white people and east asians are the same.
>>
>>2371615
>Lemme guess, this is one of those polls that uses data from online dating sites?

Actually no. It's from an in-person dating survey conducted at Columbia University, so a pretty elite group of people all things considered. What mental gymnastics are you going to use to wriggle out of this one I wonder?

>They do if they're from Korea.

Zainichi Koreans have PR status generally, so no. They're not.

>those aren't accurate

Sure they aren't Chang. It's not like 30% of people between the ages of 18-24 use online dating these days (and growing). It's not like people on large dating sites like OKC are statistically far more likely to be liberal than other people in their age cohort either - therefore if there's any bias it's that you'd expect them to be MORE open to dating interracially.

>This is true

No it isn't. The difference between Western and East Asian culture is gigantic and can be observed from as far back as antiquity to the present day. Major companies invest hundreds of millions hiring consultancy groups for this very reason when they're looking to establish operations in an East Asian country (or vice versa).

Sexless marriages, a general intolerance for irreverence, a sense of humor that is often considered sadistic by western standards, Western philosophical thought (e.g. socratic arguments) vs East Asian philosophical thought (Confucianism and the prioritization of harmony), the obsession with hollow rites vs the obsession with transcendental thought, marriage as pure economic quid pro quo vs. marriage for "love"... And this is just the tip of the iceberg. As another example: Marriages in Japan do not usually involve mixed friendship groups, meaning the couple generally don't socialize together and there will often be cases where the wife is invited to say, a wedding, but the husband is not.

You stink of Asian """"American"""".
>>
>>2371631
>>this post
lol

>>you stink of asian "american"
LOL

>>I've had some bad experiences so therefore white people cannot have successful marriages with asians
This is what you stink of faggot, you're doing that typical confirmation bias thing where your own personal experiences lead you to seek out information that agrees with your own biases.
>>
>>2351564
Asia is exotic, and Japan was the only developed asian country for a long time after world war.
>>
>>2351698
>debito

Fucking kek
>>
>>2371666
>Japan was the only developed asian country for a long time after world war.

Singapore?
>>
>>2351698
Having seen what has happened to us, I have to say that Japan is correct to be xenophobic and not let in every rootless carpetbagger eager to inform them that they are now and have always been a nation of immigrants, and that they need to abolish themselves by importing every single D&D monster race.
>>
Japan and Korea are both heavily westernized and have high trust societies. China does not.

The Japanese tend to be polite, whereas koreans tend to be impossibly angry all the time.
>>
>>2371390
>However there is not some massive difference between modern western culture and modern japanese culture. The differences are not as great as you think
"no"
>>
>>2351787
wtf, I feel respect for those shrimp dicks now!
>>
China
>fucking commies REEEEEE
Japan
>eh pretty cool
Rest of east Asia
>who gives a shit

Average person there imo, Korea has gained a little popularity because of samsung and gundam style but most people don't give a shit otherwise
>>
File: 1487337314764.jpg (96KB, 794x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487337314764.jpg
96KB, 794x1200px
>>2370622
>>
>>2361820
High literacy

Do you even vicky
>>
>>2359710
>Every attempt at K-pop trying to sell itself in western markets has been a commercial failure. Don't let the odd autistic koreaphile girl kid you
It is however a huge succes in Asia. Korean drama series and movies are extremely popular in China and SE-Asia.
>>
File: kek.jpg (185KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
185KB, 1000x1000px
>turtle dicks angry at the superior cut master race

How's that inferiority complex going?

Blame your parents for being godless heathens.
>>
>>2351564
>China
Post-communist shit hole full of mannerless street shitting dog eating peasants.
>South Korea
Like California but somehow more westernised and more homosexual
>Japan
Perfect mix of social autism, politeness and sexual depravity
>>
>>2351787
I love Japan now
>>
>>2364251
this
>>
>>2355834
Is this true?
>>
It's really about wealth, tbqh. Humans are shallow and we like rich people and hate poor people.

China was poor as fuck not even thirty years ago, and people shit talked them way more than they do now. Nowadays I hear even some whittu piggus speak glowingly of China and their progress and disciprine or whatever.
>>
File: japan white.png (241KB, 980x638px) Image search: [Google]
japan white.png
241KB, 980x638px
They're white
>>
>>2351758
>>2353358
>>2357954

HOLY SHIT ACTUAL SMARTPOSTING
>>
>>2372295
>>2351976
>>2351766
>>2351707
What is this meme?
>>
>>2378655
white piggu sjw
>>
>>2351564
Because Japan wasn't socialist
>>
File: ArudouDebitoheadshot.jpg (101KB, 543x800px) Image search: [Google]
ArudouDebitoheadshot.jpg
101KB, 543x800px
>>2351698
>let me tell you how to run your nation
If this is the face of gaijin to the Japanese, I'd honestly not blame them.
>>
>>2378444
WE
>>
>>2351564
Manga
>>
>>2357004
I think you're probably right in terms of Asia, I'd say some of the richer Caribbean countries probably have the most in common though.
>>
File: Marutei Tsurunen.jpg (58KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Marutei Tsurunen.jpg
58KB, 960x540px
>>2351698
What about the ultimate weeaboo?
>>
>>2357004
>Japs probably have more in common with westerners, in terms of world outlook, than any other non-white nation
not really, they're still asians
South americans, Philippines, and any other successfully westernised/christianised countries are probably more close to the west
>>
>>2351701
What the fuck are you smoking?
Japan was allied with the entente powers in World War One, and made land gains as a result from the German colonies. They joined in on world war two for you guessed it more territory,they wanted to form an empire over Asia.
>>
>>2351587
/thread
Thread posts: 244
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.