[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did ancient and medieval people have the rigid idea about history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0633.jpg (105KB, 900x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0633.jpg
105KB, 900x425px
Did ancient and medieval people have the rigid idea about history we have now? Like how we consider everything from Cavemen to the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki to be "the past" in contrast to "the present".

Is it a negative thing to periodize the past as one flowing narrative rather than merely a list of events?

Pic somewhat related, tables like this wouldn't have exist when Jesus was alive
>>
>>2339575
There are plenty of Golden Age or prehistory myths so people of the past definitely had an idea that something came before them.
>>
>>2339662
Interesting
>>
History didn't really exist until people could write.

>oral
>history
>>
>>2339575

Yeah. The "Dark Ages" meme was coined by a Renaissance art critic (Vasari, I think) so periodization of history definitely has a long precedent
>>
>>2339662
Those are mostly spiritual. Like edenic age spiritual. Like mankind shined a brilliant light and could create food with their mind spiritual. I guess the Bronze Age is kinda relevant because that's when the Iliad and odyssey took place.
>>
>>2339575
They mostly thought in Biblical terms and the end was always coming any moment now.
>>
>>2340898
and this attitude is why a vast majority of human historical context was lost forever. ignored writing down oral histories because of the legends intermixed with them. one of the worst fumblings in the field of history imo.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.