[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If White people style their hair into cornrows (ignore the cringe)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: Cornrows.jpg (78KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Cornrows.jpg
78KB, 640x640px
If White people style their hair into cornrows (ignore the cringe) is it culturally appropriation? Have no European societies ever used cornrows? Even going beyond Europe, are cornrows an exclusively "Black" way to style your hair?
>>
>>2337122
Since black hair is uniquely textured, yes it is an exclusively black way to style their hair using hair.
>>
Even if it is...so what?

Seems like modern day sjws want to return to the 50s where dem niggers and dem white devils stick to their own side of the railroad tracks and keep interaction to an absolute minimum.
>>
What's the difference between cornrows and more generic braiding?
>>
It's not exactly cornrows but they've found bog bodies with dreads in the British Isles, especially Ireland.
>>
>>2337122
There is literally nothing wrong with "cultural appropriation", in fact it's a good thing.
>>
Isn't cultural appropriation simply culturally winning?
>>
>>2337191
This. Look at how the Greeks learned from the Phoenician's and Persians, and how the Germanic tribes learned from the Romans, or how the average fat outcast loves anime.
>>
Cultural Appropriation IS culture.
Saying people should keep to their own cultures is like saying different races should have their own drinking fountains.

There are people who are ignorant to the point of being offensive about whatever it is they're doing, but just slap them in the head if you're bothered by it, don't fucking rally to have things banned or regulated.

Especially hilarious to see people claiming they have a monopoly on a certain food or style or pattern and everyone should consult them first before using it. How self-centered can you be
>>
>>2337122

>western society is supposed to be a melting pot of culture
>white person does something nonwhite
>stop appropriating our culture!
>>
>>2337122
It's cultural appropriation if you strip the origins of where it's from and try to "sanitize" it or the classic "discovery"
>>
>>2337308
It's acceptance without acknowledgment. Cornrows and black hair (especially natural) in general triggers a LOT of people so seeing people uptake a hairstyle that is commonly worn by certain groups derided and mocked alongside big stigma attached suddenly be "in" by the very people (fashion etc) that traditionally shat on it is very irksome. Especially when they get praise for ii and virtue posturing by other for being "brave" or adventurous" while if you were to do it you'd get negative reactions.
>>
isn't it cultural appropiation for Africans to use corn row hair when corn was only found and grown in America?
>>
>>2337122

Dreadlocks are ok, cornrows no.
>>
>>2337202
Not anime, but moe specifically.
>>
>cultural appropriation
Invented hogwash. Culture spreads from one group to another all the time, that's how civilizations progress and change over time. Giving it some Newspeak terminology to make it sound evil is just moronic.
>>
How about non white people stop culturally appropriating social safety nets and our formerly clean and safe cities?
>>
>>2337122
You now realize that Africans wearing corn in their hair is cultural approriation as corn only exists in Africa thanks to the Columbian Exchange.
>>
>>2337326
That or we make fun of you like we did Alyssa Milano last week because she looked a fucking mess.
>>
>>2337202
>>2337191
Cultural appropriation is just another word for "Civilization"
>>
Cultural appropriation is a social construct.

More seriously, when did cross-pollination of cultures become a bad thing? People are allowed to like things.
>>
"cultural appropriation" is something only white people complain about
>>
>>2339935
When it became another useful double standard for the left to use as a bludgeon against white people.
>>
>>2339941
This, most mexicans don't care when they see white people in sombreros or japanese seeing whites in kimonos. Some are actually flattered people take an interest in the culture. And all cultures steal from one another, usually giving it a twist of their own.
>>
>>2339954
I changed my facebook profile to me dressed up as "Tequila Popper Man", a stereotypical Mexican attire complete with a thick set of Groucho Marx eyebrows and mustache. A Mexican girl I almost dated in highschool told me she wouldn't talk to me until I took it down.
>>
>>2340092
if you took it down you are weak
>>
>>2337122
>the corn cob on the left hand corner is slightly eaten
>>
If it's cultural appropriation, then a black woman straightening her hair is also appropriation.

And wearing any clothing not native to their specific tribe in Africa or wherever they can trace back to is also cultural appropriation.

Meaning assimilating is appropriation. Yet, every African muslim I meet tries their hardest to fit in (to the point that they are rejecting their faith.)
>inb4 its because racism is power and discrimination
>>
>>2340092
chicanos are more picky about that stuff they tend to be sjw-like, I meant mexicans in mexico.
>>
>>2337148
Um, it's pretty much like that today.
Black and white communities, schools, organizations are still highly segregated in America.
Complete desegregation was never accomplished by the civil rights movement, with the loss of pragmatic, non-idenitiarian civil rights leaders and like MLK and the hippie movement, and their neighborly "let's all get along and be together" tactics it probably never will
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.