[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was the Irish War of Independence possible? Why didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: Michael_Collins_1922.jpg (132KB, 800x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Michael_Collins_1922.jpg
132KB, 800x1130px
How was the Irish War of Independence possible? Why didn't Britain just absolutely steamroll them? They were obviously capable.

How the hell did they even fund it?
>>
>>2332407

they were just too weak from fighting WW1
>>
File: 1485610023120.jpg (654KB, 1338x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1485610023120.jpg
654KB, 1338x1039px
>>2332407
The British were struggling with the war.
>>
>>2332407
Independence of Ireland was one of condition of participation of US-army in WW-I.
>>
I am more surprised by the amount of Irish that volunteered to fight in the British army
>>
Every answer in this thread is missing the main point.

The UK considered Ireland to be a part of the UK instead of an independent nation. This meant that they did not send in the army to fight, but rather paramilitary and police forces. Aside from that the sheer amount of Irish who wanted independence was to much to simply wipe them out. The only way that the UK could save any face was to make the treaty
>>
>>2332510
>Aside from that the sheer amount of Irish who wanted independence was to much to simply wipe them out

Another famine would have solved that issue
>>
File: Ed28-UVF-Companies-28Mar1914.jpg (132KB, 1572x863px) Image search: [Google]
Ed28-UVF-Companies-28Mar1914.jpg
132KB, 1572x863px
>>2332510

This, invading your own soil with your army is not really what you want to do.

>>2332407

The IRA would never have done what it did had the Ulster volunteers stayed. They chose the right time, the UVF and the Brits tied up in France.
>>
>>2332407
>How the hell did they even fund it?
Irish Americans
>>
File: image.gif (214KB, 578x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
214KB, 578x349px
>>2332571
200,000 Irishmen (Catholics) served for the British in WW1 to try and gain favour for home rule. When they came home they became disillusioned with Britain, and as battle hardened veterans, went to war.

The IRA had a membership of 100,000 men. The British could never wipe out an insurgency that size. That's the largest insurgency in any colony ever I'm the British empire. Just wasn't happening.

Fuck off unionist shit, the UVF achieved fuck all.
>>
>>2332572
Their weaponry and munitions came from the Germans, not Irish Americans

>>2332521
Wouldn't of worked in the 20th century. Typical of English scum however.
>>
>>2332811
>The IRA had a membership of 100,000 men. The British could never wipe out an insurgency that size. That's the largest insurgency in any colony ever I'm the British empire. Just wasn't happening.

How many of those insurgents were active armed units? Im not a unionist so you can calm down.

>The UVF achieved fuck all

They did achieve some things in the Somme.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.