[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can we all agree that he had absolutely no intentions of becoming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Caesar (2).jpg (153KB, 800x1267px) Image search: [Google]
Caesar (2).jpg
153KB, 800x1267px
can we all agree that he had absolutely no intentions of becoming a permanent sovereign and was simply forced into it under extreme circumstances.
I think we can all agree that it's obvious that all of Caesars actions were entirely driven by benevolent altruism, even if they were radical.
I have yet to see any evidence otherwise, yet I constantly see historians draw conclusions about his motive in hindsight just because people exploited his death afterwards to become emperors
>>
>>2329673
It's obvious Caesar wanted to become dictator for life of Rome
>>
>>2329693
No it isn't. It's obvious that Caesar DIDN'T want that, and you have to go through some serious bullshit extrapolations to prove otherwise. He had the city in his grasp, he could if he had wanted it, he didn't.
The guys hand was forced, and he simply had the title dictator until he could set things right.
the fact of the matter is, Caesar was as close as we'll ever get to a perfect human being, and didn't have an ounce of greed in his body.
>>
>2329699
Forced into becoming a dictator wow I've never heard of that before
>>
>>2329724
They were trying to fuck him over, it was a defensive reaction to walk on rome.
>>
>>2329733
That's what he wanted people to think. The senate was bad so he had to step in and take over the government . That's how dictators get into power. Hitler, Mao, napoleon
>>
>>2329746
That's also how a person that was actually in that position would act. See, this is what I mean by jumping hoops to spin a narrative. It's also not even a good analogy, as none of the others were really in his position.
>>
>>2329756
That's how a greedy megalomaniac would act in that position. Napoleon and Hitler are perfect examples. Napoleon overthrew the French directory government because he was ambitious. Hitler took advantage of the economic failure of the German government and kinda sorta overthrew the government. Same thing with Caesar.
>>
>>2329779
yeah, but Caesar did it because they were dismantling his army and were gonna fuck him over when they got home UNLAWFULLY. this isn't even propaganda, this is actually the fact of the matter, even people that say he was aiming for dictatorship agree on that.
What a shit analogy.
>>
>>2329786
Yeah because the senate was scared he was going to use the army and overthrow the republic.
>>
>>2329786
Your shit I'm glad your precious Caesar got stabbed to death by the senate
>>
>>2329791
No, because the senate was jealous and the establishment didn't like him fixing their retardery.
>>2329793
If you keep insulting caesar I can't guarantee your safety. watch yourself.
>>
He wuz a gud boy! He din do nuffin!

Ever thought that Caesar's history might have
been whitewashed by Augustus?
>>
He did say he would be okay with single legion with one region but senate was having none of it. The whole reason senate broke down is that they worked so hard to undermine each other. We can see the same thing in punic wars.
>>
Weather Ceasar intended to step down will remain a historical mystery. He probably haven't decided on that himself when he was killed, and even if he did he could have changed his mind later for internal or external reasons.
What we do know that he wasn't as repressive as Sulla towards his enemies and even Sulla stepped down on his own. On the other hand Sullas Optimates cause was reversed by Ceasar so I don't know if he saw this as a positive or negative example.
>>
>>2329699
It's far less reasonable to assume that Caeser was "As close as we'll ever get to a perfect human being" than it is to assume that he didn't feel he had the people sufficiently on his side to seize control, when he knew he could wait and allow them to choose for him, legitimizing him more than he could ever have done to himself after a military seizure of power.
>>2329800
>"if you keep insulting caeser I can't guarantee your safety"

You are a disappointment to someone, and you really need to listen to yourself. Get some help, get your life sorted, and please, read an actual book without 99% of your body being taken up by bias.
>>
>>2329693
>>2329699

He DID become Dictator for Life, so appointed by the Senate. Whether he might have relinquished his office, as Sulla did his similar office, cannot be known. What his intentions were cannot be known -- he did not record them, and the conjectures of his political adversaries is not really worth much as evidence: they ere not people in whom he would have been likely to confide his intentions, nor are they unbiased witnesses.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.