[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>massively expands the territory of his country >leads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: ivan-iv-9350679-1-402.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ivan-iv-9350679-1-402.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>massively expands the territory of his country
>leads them through a devastating famine with a steady hand
>created the first printing house in Russia
>defend Russia from enemies from the West
>forge good relations with England
>abdicate but is so loved he is begged to come back
>crack down on the corrupt nobility
>""""""""the terrible""""""""
what gives?
>>
>>2327362
>good relations with England
Which did what's exactly?
And know as terrible for his paranoia and schizophrenia
>>
>>2327362
>centre of empire but scattered grounds
>starts a war that kills most of the empires popualtion
>Emperor guard
What gives?
>>
>>2327362
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_the_Terrible#Sobriquet

The English word terrible is usually used to translate the Russian word grozny in Ivan's nickname, but this is a somewhat archaic translation. The Russian word grozny reflects the older English usage of terrible as in "inspiring fear or terror; dangerous; powerful; formidable". It does not convey the more modern connotations of English terrible, such as "defective" or "evil". Vladimir Dal defines grozny specifically in archaic usage and as an epithet for tsars: "courageous, magnificent, magisterial and keeping enemies in fear, but people in obedience". Other translations have also been suggested by modern scholars.
>>
The meaning of 'terrible' is somewhat lost in translation. It's 'Terrible' in the way that God is sometimes describe as 'Terrible'. It invites you to imagine that awe-inspiring power that makes you cower before it. Not terrible as in 'really bad'
>>
>>2327405
>tfw people think awesome is a good word
>and not just a word for an autocrat or other supreme being
>>
>>2327362
Terrible did not always mean exactly what it means now. Terrible has the same root as "terrific," which now means pretty much the opposite.

Both in an archaic sense could mean something close to "awe inspiring."
>>
>>2327405
Fuck, beat me to it, post here: >>2327423
is wasted.

>Ivan the Awesome

Can we all agree on this from now on?
>>
>>2327421
On the other hand, "awful" once meant something that would fill you with awe.

My favorite fanciful conjecture on how the meaning changed involves Gramma taking the children to Church, and commenting on how "awful" the ceremony was.
>>
wasn't he known as Ivan the Great during his life?
>>
>>2327362
uses the word grozny iirc

which is kind of like the word dread.

i.e. dread sovereign
>>
>kills his only good son
>>
>>2327452
All because his son's wife was being lewd
>>
>>2327437
Dread has a more negative connotation than was intended.
>>
File: REPIN_Ivan_Terrible&Ivan.jpg (132KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
REPIN_Ivan_Terrible&Ivan.jpg
132KB, 1024x683px
I love his eyes in this painting.
>>
>>2327405
so like Putin.
>>
>>2327554
Why do so many on 4chan have daddy issues?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.