[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have professional sports replaced nationalism (in the 19th century/early

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2579.jpg (926KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2579.jpg
926KB, 2000x1000px
Have professional sports replaced nationalism (in the 19th century/early 20th century sense) in the Western world?
>>
>>2325382
They have not replaced nationalism. Nationalism is a series of ongoing projects placing the nation and its well-being at the center of its concern. Sports can be seen as a nationalism, but have not replaced the system wholesale.
>>
>>2325382
No? professional sports have been around for much longer than the concept of nationalism, going as far back as professional Chariot racers in the Roman Empire.

but even today, there's still nationalistic fervor for ones nation even with sports, just because you like a hockey or baseball team doesn't mean it replaces sentiment for another concept.

I'm sorry I don't really get the point you're trying to make here.
>>
>>2325382
No. But it can definitelly be seen as a tool used to build nationalism in a peacefull manor. And as a way to transfer tribalism over to a peacefull alternative.
>>
File: Peacefull Manor.jpg (265KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Peacefull Manor.jpg
265KB, 1024x768px
>>2325917
I'd be USA-tier nationalistic in this
>>
>>2325382
Yes, in the western countries mainly.

Europe is becoming increasingly diverse, with folks of all kinds of backgrounds, and since multiculturalism unfit with nationalism, it's natural that nationalism in the old sense will eventually cease to exist. Maybe civic nationalism/patriotism will take it's place.

Europeans have learned through two world wars that nationalism is a toxic ideology that threatens the peace of nations, that's why its extinct and slowly disappearing.

Patriotism is based on affection and nationalism is rooted in rivalry and resentment. One can say that nationalism is militant by nature and patriotism is based on peace.

Countries with a homogeneous population such as Poland, China,Israel, both Korean countries, Vietnam and Iran will probably be nationalistic for a little while longer, before they also become multicultural.
>>
>>2325928
Manner*
My English, it's aaa, not a so good, yes?
>>
It has actually.

It's always fit military-age males in their 20s~30s who are hooligans, ultras and hardcore football club fans.

The people who used to die for their nation, are now cheering for people chasing a ball around.

My theory is that men naturally need an activity to release their energy. It used to be wars and fighting, now it's sports.
>>
>>2326199
Tribalism. You're thinking of tribalism. And you're right.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.