[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't study any philosophy or history (or literature)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

I didn't study any philosophy or history (or literature) in college. I studied comp sci. I feel quite stupid and uncultured and I'm wondering if its too late for me. Is it enough to just read books? And if so, what books do I read. I feel like I have missed out on my last chance at learning these things properly as I will never be given essays to write and have them critiqued and I will have no set outline of what I should be studying.
>>
>>2319987
Reading only will only ever give you a cursory understanding you talk with fellows to actually be able to get anywhere.
>>
just read the Bible
>>
>>2319987
I learned more about philosophy outside of school than in school, and I took a lot of philosophy courses. read up on phenomenology.
>>
>>2319987

To be honest I only used to show up to my history course once a month and I still passed.
>>
>>2320003
>phenomenology
just reading the introduction to that on wikipedia is somewhat confusing for me. I want to start at the very beginning like a freshmen in college would.
>>
>>2319987

1. If you want to become 'cultured', start here. It describes the logic of how someone becomes cultured.
>>
>>2319987
>I didn't study any philosophy
Good for you
There are few things as useless as studying philosophy
>>
>>2320010
Then you should start with the greeks, does someone have that infographic?

Anyways, start with plato's dialogs if you want, thats a 'start' i suppouse, although i think you might get bored, i least i know i did.
>>
File: Big Boss Jesus.jpg (47KB, 538x717px) Image search: [Google]
Big Boss Jesus.jpg
47KB, 538x717px
>>2319987
I'm majoring in chemistry, but back in high school I considered myself a history buff. When I took a college level history course (Ancient Rome) I was expectedly impressed by the rigor and analysis the class had. I now have a strong understanding of Rome up to about the 3rd century.

I'm sorry to break it to you anon, but there is nothing comparable to taking a college level course. Maybe you should try looking into some community college courses? There's also The Great Courses Plus

>https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/

I can't vouch for it since I'm not subscribed to it, but it appears to contain college level material. It'll be up to you to maintain a dedication to the material, plus it looks pretty expensive.
>$15 per month?!
>>
File: starting with the greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
starting with the greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
>>2319987
>>
File: 1485210229460.png (182KB, 662x601px) Image search: [Google]
1485210229460.png
182KB, 662x601px
>>2319987
I never went to high school, was homeschooled since 4th grade.

I am fairly knowledgeable on history just by investigating memes here.

It's not too late for you, dipshit. I spent my teenage and young adult years exclusively playing video games and watching anime, all you need to do is learn on your own time.
>>
I studied English/Philosophy in university, and the majority of memorable things that I learned in those years was from what I read on my own time. I didn't find in class discussion that deep, you'd maybe get an extra factoid or two that wasn't in the book.

If you're worried, just check out the /lit/ sticky for guides.
>>
>>2319987
You should pick an era you like then read stuff bout it. It is never late. Dont try to learn about all history it will overwhelm you.
>>
Only if you go to a terrible school.
>>
>>2321718
t. anon that went to a terrible state/ivy school
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.