[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>There is no meaning in life >Death is not a negative state

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1454417849199.jpg (75KB, 468x701px) Image search: [Google]
1454417849199.jpg
75KB, 468x701px
>There is no meaning in life
>Death is not a negative state
>Living only has utility in so much as you derive net positive enjoyment from it
>There is no reason to not kill yourself if life leaves you with more unhappiness than happiness

What's wrong with this reasoning?
No answers that rely on a particular religion being correct.
>>
>>2314095
>There is no meaning in life
If you examined the definition of "meaning" you'd realize the flaw in this statement.
>>
>>2314233
Sorry.
*Life doesn't have inherent value
>>
>>2314095
I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have no more basis to claim that life is without meaning than that it is meaningful because you don't know anything about the fundamental nature of the universe.

All you have is some pretty decent math correlations with stuff you see. You have no idea why the stuff is there, where it came from, why it should behave so regularly, or why you should have any of the thoughts or feelings that you have.
>>
>>2314095
non existence is so much worse than bad experiences
>>
>>2314307
>You have no idea why the stuff is there, where it came from, why it should behave so regularly, or why you should have any of the thoughts or feelings that you have.

Here, found you a meaning: go and fix that, learn and advance science.
t. STEM
>>
>>2314318
You're assuming that science is the kind of thing that can even produce that answer. We have no reason to believe that that's true.

Science does advance, and it's a worthy enterprise, and the only direction for us to go with now, but it doesn't give any guarantees of finding fundamental answers, or even fundamental questions.
>>
>>2314362
You're affirming, then, that those answers will have a meaning that will make the life of the average person better. Even if they do, they may only come generations from now, and the inherent suffering of human existence continues for those born before then.
>>
>>2314095
>So? We have the luxury, perhaps even the duty, to realise our own.
>Not a state at all.
>If you insist, enjoyment/happiness has never been my sole aim.
>again, why the fixation with happiness? If your life is at a point where it ought to end, let it end.
>>
>>2314314
Would you choose to live a week longer if it meant being brutally tortured that whole time?

Non-existence isn't something to worry about; if you don't exist, there's no one around to worry about how terrible it is. I'm more concerned about the process of dying than death itself.
>>
What point was there for matter to come together and form biological life? What reason is there for these strings of chemicals to continue multiplying and propagating themselves? It should've just stayed as inanimate matter, this is all pointless.
>>
>>2314318
>t. STEM

So you're just a living meme?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.