[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

I just watched 'Sgt York', as I was told it espouses Christian pacifism; if you don't want this 76 year old movie spoiled, since /his/ doesn't have spoilers, stop reading.

>Drunkard farmer from Tennessee in 1915
>Wants to buy good farmland to impress girl, rival farmer buys it to spite him
>On his way to drunkenly kill his rival, lightning strikes his gun, he goes to church and finds "that old time religion"
>Forgives his 'trespassers' (old rich man who screwed him on the land deal and his rival)
>World War I draft comes, he refuses to sign up, as war is obviously against "Thou shall not kill"; his pastor tells him to register -- he can just conscientiously object.
>Doesn't work, gets drafted
>Good marksman, gets promoted

Now here's the part I don't get

>Told by his commanding officers that if he doesn't want to be in the army, he doesn't have to, but take a 10 day furlough and think about it
>Sits on a hill in TN thinking about 'God vs. Country', which the movie makes clear
>Wind blows page of the Bible to "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, unto God what is God's" and he seems to have an epiphany.
>Goes back to the army, tells him he'll fight
>Kills Germans, captures a lot of them, is a war hero, gets his land in the end because of his war efforts

How the hell did he abandon his pacifism from that passage?
(Side note: any examples of actual Tolstoylian Christianity in media?)
>>
>>2312723

Well, I haven't seen the movie myself, so I'm only hazarding some weak guesses here.

The usual interpretation of "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" is that temporal states do in fact have legitimate authority, usually as reflections of some sort of God's will, and that you should generally obey them. His country is probably depicted as a good thing, if it's an American movie from the 40s, and he probably has some kind of guilt over not doing his utmost for it.

That being said, "Thou Shalt Not Kill" as expressed as an absolute is an idiotic mistranslation. The OT itself endorses capital punishment and warring, which is why the Hebrew says לא תרצח and not לא תהרג
>>
>>2312752

Good points; although the important part comes after "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's": "Render unto God what is God's". Money is Caesar's (it had his profile on it, even), but Caesar--ie the state--does not own a man's conscience, his life, or the lives of his enemies.

"Thou Shalt Not Kill" was one of his stated passages for conscientious objection: another was "blessed are the peacemakers", and "he who lives by the sword shall perish by the sword". Along with the whole "love your enemies, turn the other cheek", I still cannot see how war could ever be justified by the New Testament.

Here's the relevant scene, in case anyone cares to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W87k64HU9gE
>>
>>2312752
Thanks anon the message is clearly in the Hebrew which I can very easily read
>>
>>2312723
Sergeant York is one of the most bizarre movies I have ever seen. I can never tell how ironic Howard Hawks is trying to be
>>
>>2313197

A more accurate translation would be "Thou Shalt Not Murder" as opposed to "Thou Shalt Not Kill"
>>
>>2313544

But what, exactly, is the difference between "murder" and "kill"?
The object you're killing? Some would say "murder" can apply to humans only; some, that it applies to animals, but not to 'less complex' organisms like plants or bacteria.
Or does the difference lie between intention? "Kill" seems to refer to non-malicious carelessness/accidents (eg "He was killed in a car crash"; "a falling rock "killed him", the rock didn't intentionally do it) , as is often intentional killing of 'ones who deserved it' (eg "He killed five Nazis"; "Police killed a bank robber"). Does "murder" only apply to intentional killing of innocents? But no one is innocent, that's the whole reason 'Jesus died for our sins', right? Probably, every killer justifies why someone else isn't innocent enough (eg "My rival bought my land out from under me", "He slept with my wife", "He was wearing the uniform of a different country") and deserves to die.
I would say that, since killing is necessary for us to survive as humans in these bodies, (unless you ate just fruits and nuts), , "killing" would only apply if we eat what we kill and minimize the suffering (ie no killing humans and eating them if you have perfectly good hamburger; no hamburger if you have perfectly good potatoes). Any other destruction of life would fall under "murder".
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.