[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ignoring the "we wuz trojans" part, how trustworthy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Ignoring the "we wuz trojans" part, how trustworthy is The Aeneid as a history of pre-Roman Italy?
>>
>>2310480
Not at all. It's just a blatant ripoff of the Iliad.
>>
>>2310480
It isn't.
>>
>>2310480
It's about as reliable an origin story as the Lord of the Rings
>>
>>2310480

100% factual except that Dido actually had bigger breasts.
>>
Everything the Romans refer to about their own history prior to 387BC is pretty much myth. The Aeneid is a dramatization of a particular myth with the goal of promoting a pro-Augustinian agenda. Plutarch presents many stories and inconsistencies within popular Roman founding myths in the first few paragraphs of his Life of Romulus.

http://classics.mit.edu/Plutarch/romulus.html

I can't speak to archaeological evidence but it is likely that if Aeneas was real he would be completely different than how anyone portrays due to exaggeration and the attribution of false characteristics over the centuries.
>>
>>2310488
It deliberately imitates the style of the Odyssey in books I through VI and the Iliad in books VII through XII. It's not a ripoff, it's a deliberate stylistic choice that Virgil is using to tell a very different story than those of Homer why style paying homage to his literary idol.
>>
>>2310488
rips off odyssey first then Iliad
Virgil is reverse homer.
>>
The Aeneid is literally just propaganda for Augustus.
>>
>>2311139
It has a totally different style and if you can't tell its Roman spirit from the first 7 lines you are a helpless philistine pleb
>>
>>2310480
it is totally accurate

As a Sicilian, I can trace my ancestry all the way back to Achates
>>
>>2313374
WE
>>
>>2313374
>half of my family is Normans
>Half is Spanish
>Half is Mooslim

>I'm Italian guys
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.