[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it quite possible that there were Thieves' Guilds back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Finding_the_Thieves_Guild.png (3MB, 1634x1048px) Image search: [Google]
Finding_the_Thieves_Guild.png
3MB, 1634x1048px
Was it quite possible that there were Thieves' Guilds back then in the Middle Ages and Renaissance?

Or is this just another fake fantasy conjured by the media's imagination?
>>
If you were educated enough to run some sort of organised crime ring why would you be a criminal?

Especially with punishments for criminal activity being so harsh
>>
File: Voltaire.jpg (102KB, 476x598px) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire.jpg
102KB, 476x598px
>>2303080
That's what history WANTS you to think.
>>
I have absolutely no idea, but I did find the descriptions of how organized crime worked in mid 20th century New York in the book Wise Guys interesting. There was no real rigid hierarchical mob, just a boss who has connections to the police and politicians, and access to muscle. The rest of the mob are just individual criminals and gangs undertaking their own plots or running legitimate businesses that are fronts for illicit operations. They gave a cut of their income to the boss in return for protection. If you're not under the protection of a boss what do you do if you try to fence stolen goods and the fence rips you off? Obviously you can't go to the police, so if you have a boss you immediately go to him and complain and he sends his muscle to pay the fence a visit and take everything he's got (though he's probably not giving any back to you). The mob really served as police for criminals.

Its certainly conceivable that structures like that existed in the medieval period.
>>
>>2303061
Nah it's bullshit, if you were really good at being a crookt then you'd end up working for the local lord or sheriff as a thug.
>>
>>2303061
criminals have always colluded with eachother in all times, but they probably didn't call themselves "The Thieves's Guild" and meet at night by torchlight.
>>
>>2303061
>Thieves' Guilds back then in the Middle Ages and Renaissance?

Yes they existed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
>>
>>2303080
>Especially with punishments for criminal activity being so harsh
Because it was so easy to get away with shit. No photos, no copiers, no scientific method or forensics, just a lords men and hearsay. Freedom is a fast horse and a few miles away.
>>
>>2303192
The thieves guild prefers to not kill people. That's the dark brotherhood.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.