[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was religion treated in the Soviet Union? Were people allowed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How was religion treated in the Soviet Union?

Were people allowed to worship openly?
>>
>>2298962
>in the Soviet Union?
during which time period, nigger?
>>
>>2298962
No, atheism was forced on you
>>
>>2298968
here come the meme-tier responses
>>
>>2298964
this. Gorby =/= Stalin

In general religion is not compatible with the communist party line. And I think officially religion didn't exist (as in you were a registered Christian) but I'm not sure.
>>
>>2298964
Kruschev
>>
>>2298962
Early days religious officials and church goers were persecuted and often executed.

Don't know under Stalin.

Later years were milder.
>>
Stalin revived the Russian Orthodox Church to inspire patriotism during the war, but tried to keep a firm controlling hand on the church all the same.
>>
>>2298962
>Were people allowed to worship openly?
people had been allowed to worship communism openly
>>
>>2298962
It heavily depends on a period, really. There were some really curious cases like Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church which was an attempt to nationalize and democratize the church in Ukrainian SSR during the 20s but generally atheism was quite heavily pushed prior to the WW2. However, during the Stalin's terror period and WW2 itself USSR slowly rolled back to Russian imperial values by and large and church was no exception. Russian Orthodox Church essentially became a KGB extension it remains today.
During later years religion, though most importantly Russian Orthodox Church, wasn't persecuted but wasn't encouraged either. It was just there. Other groups such as Jehova's Witnesses, Evangelical Church, other protestants and smaller cults were under pressure nonetheless. Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church was even """united""" with Russian Orthodox one by force, but most people moved underground.
>>
>>2298962
You'd be hanged
>>
>>2298962

The State is god. There can be no other gods than the State.
>>
>>2298962
Baptism and Communism were legal.
Islam and Orthodoxy were under direct control since Stalin.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.