[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ know about the Siege of Vienna? How important

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

What does /his/ know about the Siege of Vienna? How important was it for the Habsburgs to expand their empire in the 1700s? What larger significance did it have? I'm considering writing a research paper on it and I want a strong argument for my thesis. Would it be better to just switch to Oliver Cromwell and pick a side on him?
>>
>>2292493
Fun fact: Austrians captured so much coffee it kickstarted the Central European Café culture.
>>
>>2292507
They also think croissants were baked in Vienna right after the battle bc ottoman crescents
>>
>>2292493
The turks were stopped september 11th by a multi-national european relief force.

Seizing Hungary would be central to any Hapsburg strategy because taking it off the Turk would deny them valuable pasture land to feed their cavalry
>>
>>2293514
>>
>>2292493
ZzzzzZzzzZzzZZZZz
>>
>>2292493
Austrian here. If you have the spare time, visit our military history musem in Vienna. It i loaded with shit about the second Siege of Vienna.

> How important was it for the Habsburgs to expand their empire in the 1700s?
Pretty important. The 30 years war was not that long ago and the french finally managed to break Habsburg encirclement.
It helped that the polish were bailing out of the great turkish war after the Siege of Vienna.

>What larger significance did it have?
It ended the age of Ottoman supremacy. Lepanto was the end on the sea and after Vienna the Austrian troops as well as the rest of civilized Europe could beat the Ottomans in open battle. Before that, they were pretty much steamrolling through the Balkans.

>I'm considering writing a research paper on it and I want a strong argument for my thesis. Would it be better to just switch to Oliver Cromwell and pick a side on him?

Depends. Do you know someone who speaks german or do you speak it yourself? If both answers are no, then better do cromwell. Most sources on the second Siege of Vienna are german, latin or polish.

Also look up Eugene of Savoy. He was a lowly Dragoon Captain in the battle but rose through the ranks during the great turkish war and basically was the sole reason the turks lost so badly at Zenta and held the french back on the west.
This is another interesting point: During the war with the ottomans after the Siege, the french tried numerous times to fuck up the reich and were held back.
>>
File: Battle of Khotyn 1621 Wikipedia.png (121KB, 316x908px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Khotyn 1621 Wikipedia.png
121KB, 316x908px
>>2294691
>after Vienna the Austrian troops as well as the rest of civilized Europe could beat the Ottomans in open battle. Before that, they were pretty much steamrolling
Poland has beat the Ottomans like 10 times before the Battle of Vienna.
>>
>>2294715
>>
>>2294715
>>2294716
Am I really seeing a nation that was allied with T*rks trying to act like they did anything to stop Ottoman advance to the Europe?
>>
>>2292493
>Vienna

they make horrible sausages
>>
File: Central_europe_1683.png (146KB, 1543x1170px) Image search: [Google]
Central_europe_1683.png
146KB, 1543x1170px
>>2294691
>It helped that the polish were bailing out of the great turkish war after the Siege of Vienna.
Not quite bailing out. Turkey had defeated Poland in the 70s, and was occupying Podolia, including the most important fortress in the country. After Vienna, Polish forces moved on to recapture it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Ottoman_War_(1672%E2%80%9376)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Ottoman_War_(1683%E2%80%9399)
>>
>>2294725
Still better that modern German fetish of cuckoldry
>>
File: Battle of Hodów Wikipedia.png (13KB, 315x363px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Hodów Wikipedia.png
13KB, 315x363px
>>2294725
>Am I really seeing a nation that was allied with T*rks
Poland was never "allied" with Turks, only had on and off PEACE TREATIES with them.
>After the Ottomans invaded Hungary after the Battle of Mohács in 1526, Poland refrained from interfering with the Ottomans in the southwest.[2] Poland was in fact busy enough countering the Russian threat in Lithuania and Livonia, where it was able to concentrate its forces.[2]

>Under Suleiman the Magnificent, two treaties were signed in 1525 and 1528, and a treaty of "perpetual" peace was signed in 1533.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Ottoman_alliance

Poland was always the main protector of Europe against the Mongol, Tatar and Turkish hordes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Ottoman_Wars
>>
>>2294609
>Turks in darkness
>Poles in the light
>this was the last time they spoke as friends
This painting was very impressive to see firsthand in the Vatican
>>
File: phoca_thumb_l_csc_1423k.jpg (247KB, 960x637px) Image search: [Google]
phoca_thumb_l_csc_1423k.jpg
247KB, 960x637px
>>2294889
>>this was the last time they spoke as friends
???
>>
>>2294734
No we don't. The literal dogshit you consume in America has nothing to do with real Vienna sausages.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.